Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,958 times

Advertisements

According to study:
Quote:
Contrary to conventional wisdom -- and anti-illegal immigration rhetoric -- immigration rates have no direct effect on unemployment rates
Pro-immigration group's study contends immigrants don't impact unemployment - Salt Lake Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 07:28 PM

471 posts, read 587,055 times
Maybe your PRO-IMMIGRATION roup didnt get the memo...

Numerical Increase in Unemployment
Analyzing the numerical increase in immigrant unemployment shows that the least educated accounted for much of the increase in unemployment. Of the 1.3 million increase in the number of unemployed immigrants between the third quarter of 2007 and the first quarter of 2009, those with less than a high school education accounted for 46 percent. Those immigrants with only a high school education accounted for 22 percent. Among natives, those with less than a high school education accounted for only 15 percent of the numerical increase. However, those with just a high school education accounted for 43 percent of the increase in native unemployment. For both immigrants and natives the two least educated categories accounted for the majority of the increase in unemployment. Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

Last edited by Yac; 05-26-2009 at 03:07 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 07:31 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,055 times
Ah yes, grouping both legal and illegal immigrants into the same category.

It never gets old.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:32 PM

^^^^^^^^^

Shows that just like in every recession, the least educated and least skilled are the ones that suffer the most and take the hardest hit. Hell this report even shows that EDUCATED immigrants are FAR more likely to be unemployed than educated natives. They must resort to help from federal social services.

So why, why would we import more low skilled, undereducated people to take from our welfare system when times get tough and unemployment increases?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Ah yes, grouping both legal and illegal immigrants into the same category.

It never gets old.

You noticed that too... they are all immigrant(ha), they NEVER call them illegal aliens, it stings to much.

Of course it is fun when they try to stack the deck, and in spite of that, we continue beating them at their own, deceiving, game.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Maybe your PRO-IMMIGRATION roup didnt get the memo...

Numerical Increase in Unemployment
Analyzing the numerical increase in immigrant unemployment shows that the least educated accounted for much of the increase in unemployment. Of the 1.3 million increase in the number of unemployed immigrants between the third quarter of 2007 and the first quarter of 2009, those with less than a high school education accounted for 46 percent...
Now how does this study contradicts the study posted originally, in this article we can see that immigrants ( this against-illegal immigration also groups illegal and legal on one group) have higher than average and lower than blacks unemployment. So I would draw that when hiring employers were more likely to hire anyone other than a black or an immigrant, and when they needed to fire someone black or immigrants were the first to go. Hence they are the groups that have the highest unemployment. Social services due to this factor have nothing to do with the study above.

The study above looks at multiple locations, with varying percentages of immigrants and tries to find a correlation between a large amount of immigrants and a high unemployment rate. And, it's unable to find such correlation, therefore concluding that immigration rates have no direct impact on unemployment levels.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Now how does this study contradicts the study posted originally, in this article we can see that immigrants ( this against-illegal immigration also groups illegal and legal on one group) have higher than average and lower than blacks unemployment. So I would draw that when hiring employers were more likely to hire anyone other than a black or an immigrant, and when they needed to fire someone black or immigrants were the first to go. Hence they are the groups that have the highest unemployment. Social services due to this factor have nothing to do with the study above.

The study above looks at multiple locations, with varying percentages of immigrants and tries to find a correlation between a large amount of immigrants and a high unemployment rate. And, it's unable to find such correlation, therefore concluding that immigration rates have no direct impact on unemployment levels.
Because it convenient fits your agenda?

I found my information with the Center for Immigration Studies, your is from the Salt Lake Tribune...

Are you saying that nationally employers are racist thus they fire immigrants first? Oh and don't try to make this a black, white or purple thing. this is about immigrants versus natives as a whole. Black native unemployment numbers where included with natives as a whole.

In the first quarter of this year immigrant unemployment SOARED. Now do you think that they just found this out thru word of mouth, or maybe they found it out thru the immigrants filing for unemployment?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 PM

Here if this makes it easier... when we have a large group of immigrants is uneducated, like Mexican immigrants(we CAN use Mexican immigrants since they are by and large uneducated and under skilled), then the economy falls and very basic labor is not needed due to the lack of expansion and growth, that group become unemployed first. That may not be visible when the economy is booming, but when it starts to slow it become VERY apparent.

We have allowed an undereducated group of people in, and while was profitable in the short run while we where expanding, it has turned around and has now become a hindrance.

So yes in a time of growth and a desire for cheap labor to increase profits, high unemployment and high levels of immigration may not go hand. However, when a slow down occurs they correlate quite well. Exponentially greater than native citizens. And since we ARE in a recession it more and more apparent every day.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Because it convenient fits your agenda?

I found my information with the Center for Immigration Studies, your is from the Salt Lake Tribune...
I didn't say that your study was wrong, I said that the results did not conflict with the one posted.

Quote:

Are you saying that nationally employers are racist thus they fire immigrants first? Oh and don't try to make this a black, white or purple thing. this is about immigrants versus natives as a whole. Black native unemployment numbers where included with natives as a whole.
I just gave statistics, I didn't even try to explain them. I did not say anything about employers being racist. But if I would have to read even more into the report I would not come to the conclusion that employers are racist (as you have, I wonder why? ) but that illegal immigrants and blacks were not as qualified for the jobs, and if I had any say on it this would serve as a guide to what groups need additional education resources to catch up with the average.

Quote:

In the first quarter of this year immigrant unemployment SOARED. Now do you think that they just found this out thru word of mouth, or maybe they found it out thru the immigrants filing for unemployment?
And this might be the case, maybe in the first quarter of this year not one immigrant was able to hold a job, this does not change the fact that the study found no correlation between high unemployment levels with high immigrant presence.

Do you really understand what the study posted is claiming? I think you are misreading it.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:56 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Any way one wishes to spin it: it is past time for those illegal alien criminals to leave the USA----------and, take their minor age Anchors with 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration