U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,908,828 times
Reputation: 6517

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Wait a minute so what you are saying if I go to Italy and married an Italian girl she can't become a USA citizen? or is this law only for Hispanics?
I believe what the poster was saying is: If you are an illegal that receives amnesty then it would apply. The poster never called out any race. Only you did. The race card is getting worn and faded from over use.
As for the no impact on employment.
Please tell that to the drywallers, roofers, pavers, masons and laborers. I am sure that they might disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I believe what the poster was saying is: If you are an illegal that receives amnesty then it would apply. The poster never called out any race. Only you did. The race card is getting worn and faded from over use.
As for the no impact on employment.
Please tell that to the drywallers, roofers, pavers, masons and laborers. I am sure that they might disagree.
Besides: there is no Hispanic 'race'----------despite the pitiful attempts of la raza to claim that nonsense. Admittedly; many White Hispanics tend to play their cultural links to Mestizos in 'Anglo' society due to the White supremacy of the former culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,084,608 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I believe what the poster was saying is: If you are an illegal that receives amnesty then it would apply. The poster never called out any race. Only you did. The race card is getting worn and faded from over use.
As for the no impact on employment.
Please tell that to the drywallers, roofers, pavers, masons and laborers. I am sure that they might disagree.
The roofers, drywallers, pavers, masons, don't have jobs because contruction is down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,163,231 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The roofers, drywallers, pavers, masons, don't have jobs because contruction is down.
Those kinds of jobs were going to illegal aliens way before the economy took a nose dive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,868 posts, read 30,138,774 times
Reputation: 17722
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Those kinds of jobs were going to illegal aliens way before the economy took a nose dive.
Why is that? Because they will undercut any labor market once they have flooded it. ANY type of labor job. I'm not ok with that at all.

While I don't like Unions what you see with union labor is exactly the opposite. Unions have turned what used to be a low paying jobs into careers while Illegals have turned good careers into jobs Americans can't get by on. Only Illegals living 20 per household can get by on these jobs now.

If you take Illegals out of the job market it will stabilize. If we need stoop labor that badly we need a temp worker program not permanent underground labor gnawing away at middle class jobs. Carpentry is(or was) a middle class job btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,084,608 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Those kinds of jobs were going to illegal aliens way before the economy took a nose dive.
Funny, seeing how in the fastest growing places of the nation the majority of people were LEGAL residents. Nearly 75% of construction workers were native born. Notice, I did not say of legal status, simply native born...thus, there are obviously a large number of legal residents.
"The largest raw number of immigrant employees was in "Construction and extraction" where 2,209,000 immigrants (26.1% of the total labor force) were outnumbered by 6,250,000 native employees." (American Thinker, 9/11/2009)

The above was taken from a March 2006 study from the CIS (Center for Immigration Studies). Again, the wording was simply "immigrants", not distringuishing legal or not. We know for a fact that legal immigration surpasses illegal immigration. Thus we know that there is a more than a likely chance that of those immigrants that are taking these construction jobs, only a small percentage are illegal.

It's funny since this article is pretty much against immigration, stating that we do have currently have the workforce. The anti-immigration (legal or not) can't have it both ways; you can't be employed and unemployed at the same time. Immigrants can't take your job and not take your job all in one breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,163,231 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Funny, seeing how in the fastest growing places of the nation the majority of people were LEGAL residents. Nearly 75% of construction workers were native born. Notice, I did not say of legal status, simply native born...thus, there are obviously a large number of legal residents.
"The largest raw number of immigrant employees was in "Construction and extraction" where 2,209,000 immigrants (26.1% of the total labor force) were outnumbered by 6,250,000 native employees." (American Thinker, 9/11/2009)

The above was taken from a March 2006 study from the CIS (Center for Immigration Studies). Again, the wording was simply "immigrants", not distringuishing legal or not. We know for a fact that legal immigration surpasses illegal immigration. Thus we know that there is a more than a likely chance that of those immigrants that are taking these construction jobs, only a small percentage are illegal.

It's funny since this article is pretty much against immigration, stating that we do have currently have the workforce. The anti-immigration (legal or not) can't have it both ways; you can't be employed and unemployed at the same time. Immigrants can't take your job and not take your job all in one breath.

No, legal immigration has not surpassed illegal immigration in numbers for decades now. Most legal immigrants are not working construction jobs it is mostly the illegal kind now. They have driven down wages for all kinds of construction jobs and with many of those crews consisting of mostly illegal Latinos now who can't speak English that is another reason that English speaking Americans aren't being hired in construction anymore. You can take your BS and shove it where the sun don't shine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 06:17 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,084,608 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, legal immigration has not surpassed illegal immigration in numbers for decades now. Most legal immigrants are not working construction jobs it is mostly the illegal kind now. They have driven down wages for all kinds of construction jobs and with many of those crews consisting of mostly illegal Latinos now who can't speak English that is another reason that English speaking Americans aren't being hired in construction anymore. You can take your BS and shove it where the sun don't shine.
These are facts, actually, again from a source that doesn't support immigration. They essentially tried to refute your point as to say Americans will (and do) take these jobs. I didn't say "most legal immigrants work construction" I stated that out of the 26% of immigrants that work construction, the majority are legal simply because of the sheer number of legal immigrants vs. illegal.

Sorry if you feel facts are BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,908,828 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The roofers, drywallers, pavers, masons, don't have jobs because contruction is down.
Incorrect. They started loosing jobs in the late 1980's and it has escalated ever since. This issue isn't 1 year old. Its been a growing problem ever since the last amnesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 03:22 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,868 posts, read 30,138,774 times
Reputation: 17722
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Incorrect. They started loosing jobs in the late 1980's and it has escalated ever since. This issue isn't 1 year old. Its been a growing problem ever since the last amnesty.
And all those Illegals didn't leave either. Social Services (aka free tax payer ones) become an even bigger part for these families now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top