Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:23 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,475,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Except in this case it seems to be a counter example, since I have gone out of my way to abide by them. Yet, I'm not an illegal alien.
No, you have not. You lived in the US illegally for two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 AM

804 posts, read 1,359,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
No, you have not. You lived in the US illegally for two years.

First, I did say in this example. Second I was never illegally, you cannot be sponsored if here illegally. I came as a tourist, renewed twice and then got sponsored.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
First, I did say in this example. Second I was never illegally, you cannot be sponsored if here illegally. I came as a tourist, renewed twice and then got sponsored.
Then explain this.

Quote:
I actually did.. I came to this country about 10 years ago, right after finishing high school. I was an illegal immigrant for about two years and then found a way to be sponsored by a Large U.S. company and got my permanent residency.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:37 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Then explain this.
Thank you!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:41 AM

974 posts, read 1,586,760 times
Lol Andrea, well done

Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Then explain this.
I guess I do have created a confusion about this, I was looking through my posts to see if I had but you beat me to it.

In my original post, I did mis-spoke. I have not been out of status at any given time. The story goes as this, I arrived on a tourist visa that was for 6 months; then, I renewed my stay for another 6 months but the reply arrived like 8 months later, and it was granted. The I filled to renew again, but during this period I got sponsored and was able to file a change of status form from non-immigrant to immigrant.

The reason I identify with illegal aliens, is that during the period before I was sponsored I was not a legal immigrant. And I refer to that lapse of time as the period where I was an illegal immigrant.

Until I had a sponsor I had no path to citizenship, and my options changed damatically after I did. And I think that the path I followed would be similar for other individuals if given the change.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:01 AM

125 posts, read 212,921 times
I am for going business to business, be it in Texas or wherever and rounding up ALL ILLEGAL,( I put ILLEGAL in all capitals as the government does not seem to know what the word means) ailens and IMMEDIATLY deport them and then arrest the employeer!
If these ILLEGALS realize that there is no jobs for them and they cannot get freebies just for being here, they might stay in their country.
In responce to Matchpoint's comment about ending the wars, whay not take those soldiers and put them on the border with Mexico facing South. Anybody headed South get a free pass, anyone coming North gets lead poisoning.
I realize that this sounds drastic but I for one and sick and tired of paying for free food, housing and medical care, just to mention 3, just so these mexicans can come here and have anchor babies.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I guess I do have created a confusion about this, I was looking through my posts to see if I had but you beat me to it.

In my original post, I did mis-spoke. I have not been out of status at any given time. The story goes as this, I arrived on a tourist visa that was for 6 months; then, I renewed my stay for another 6 months but the reply arrived like 8 months later, and it was granted. The I filled to renew again, but during this period I got sponsored and was able to file a change of status form from non-immigrant to immigrant.

The reason I identify with illegal aliens, is that during the period before I was sponsored I was not a legal immigrant. And I refer to that lapse of time as the period where I was an illegal immigrant.

Until I had a sponsor I had no path to citizenship, and my options changed damatically after I did. And I think that the path I followed would be similar for other individuals if given the change.
Ok, let's chalk it up to a misinterpretation of the terminology used.

I do not doubt that you have worked hard to educate yourself during your time in the US. Clearly, you have a skill that is in demand and will be able to support yourself. What I think you may not realize is how exceptional your situation is. Nothing would be gained by deporting someone with a PhD in engineering. I can go along with the idea of offering citizenship, conditional on paying a fine and going to the back of the line, to a highly educated person who will definitely be an asset to the US.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of illegal aliens are very poorly educated and lacking in job skills of any sort. Over a lifetime our own HS dropouts end up taking more from the system then they pay in. HS dropouts who do not speak the language and may not have even made it as far as HS before dropping out are going to present a tremendous burden. The idea of educating them once they are citizens is, IMO, overly simplistic. We simply do not have the kind of money for that lying around and it is unfair to punish US citizens by raising taxes or cutting their benefits in order to educate someone who left school in the 6th grade and came to the US in violation of our immigration laws.
I assume you do not have children. When you do you will learn the importance of not rewarding bad behavior. When you do, it only leads to more bad behavior. The only thing granting amnesty/a path to citizenship to the millions of illegals here will do is send the message loud and clear that all you need to do is sneak into the US one way or another and await the next serial amnesty. Then you too can become a US citizen.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Ok, let's chalk it up to a misinterpretation of the terminology used.

I do not doubt that you have worked hard to educate yourself during your time in the US. Clearly, you have a skill that is in demand and will be able to support yourself. What I think you may not realize is how exceptional your situation is. Nothing would be gained by deporting someone with a PhD in engineering. I can go along with the idea of offering citizenship, conditional on paying a fine and going to the back of the line, to a highly educated person who will definitely be an asset to the US.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of illegal aliens are very poorly educated and lacking in job skills of any sort. Over a lifetime our own HS dropouts end up taking more from the system then they pay in. HS dropouts who do not speak the language and may not have even made it as far as HS before dropping out are going to present a tremendous burden. The idea of educating them once they are citizens is, IMO, overly simplistic. We simply do not have the kind of money for that lying around and it is unfair to punish US citizens by raising taxes or cutting their benefits in order to educate someone who left school in the 6th grade and came to the US in violation of our immigration laws.
I assume you do not have children. When you do you will learn the importance of not rewarding bad behavior. When you do, it only leads to more bad behavior. The only thing granting amnesty/a path to citizenship to the millions of illegals here will do is send the message loud and clear that all you need to do is sneak into the US one way or another and await the next serial amnesty. Then you too can become a US citizen.
I agree with you, I have mentioned this before but I support more of a merit base system, kind of the point system in the EU or Canada.

Then lobby for the inclusion of these kind of requirements to immigtration, to make it easier for people with advanced degrees to immigrate. For people finishing high school to have their immigration status dependent on ther completion of college. For the people who are already here and are high schools drop out, to have in one of their requirement to finish High School and at least a 2 year technical training, and putting them on a conditional permenent residency until then. If they dont meet the requirements then you deport them, but you gave them the chance, and if they would have really wanted to they would have made the sacrifice to comply.

They might prove me wrong, but if you set the bar for illegal aliens to have at least a 2 year degree from a U.S. institution (that gives classes in English) the amount of illegal alien's kids that will drop out of school will decrease significantly. Then deporting the ones that do not want to put in the work would be more feasible.

On the highlighted area, I think if you educate them, they will stay and then they will pay the taxes to educate the next generation. If you invest in their education and then legalize them depending on their completion then you are keeping the ones who want to go to school and better themselves.

As you say, I do not have any children, at 25 I don't think I'm at the right point to have children. And I see your point of not rewarding people for bad behaviour. But if your children does something wrong, do you just punish them? When I was a kid I always had to make up for it, you miss a homework, now you get some extra-problem on top of the original homework. You ride your bike over your neighbor garder, now you get to be their gardener for the next few weeks until the damage was done. You get caught doing grafitty, you have to repaint the whole place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration