U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 PM
 
Location: The People's Republic of Cork
89 posts, read 10,538 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Well immigration forum, I’d like to take a moment to share my own views on immigration, immigrants (both legal and illegal). As you may be able to figure out, I’m not American and I don’t even live there anymore! For your information, I’m IRISH and if you don’t want to hear some bloody foreigner rambling on about immigration, then I suggest you stop reading right now.

Listen people, illegal immigration is not the problem that is dragging your country down. It’s your clown of a president and his warmongering ways, dragging your country into a ghastly and expensive war, the costs of which you’ll be paying back for generations to come.

MOD CUT This is an open forum and I’m giving you the opportunity to be honest and tell us all how you REALLY feel. Let me put it this way, I’m pretty sure that if all the “illegals” you people love to complain about so much where white Anglos, most of you wouldn’t even give a rat’s arse, nor would you care to notice.

Illegals aren’t stealing your jobs, your jobs are being lost because of corporations outsourcing their jobs to countries where labour is cheaper, such as India. Have any of you ever called Dell lately, only to be answered by an Indian lady working at a call centre in Calcutta?

When I lived in America, I saw a lot of silent racism towards Hispanics in particular. People won’t just come out and admit that they dislike Hispanics, but they hide behind sly little remarks and innuendos instead. Even on this forum, I’ve read posts about how horrible it is to live near Hispanics and how people dread the Hispanics coming to town. It kind of reminds me of that South Park episode featuring the Goobacks, in which they cried “They took our jobs!!”.

The answer to America’s perceived problem with illegal immigration doesn’t lie in blaming the immigrants themselves. They are just people who are searching for a better life, just like your ancestors before you. It’s human nature to see a better opportunity and grab it with both hands for the sake of your own family. If you people were born in Tijuana and had California on your doorstep, I’m PRETTY SURE that 99.99% of you would choose to hop the border, just like the Mexicans you chastise and blame.

The answer lies in a) helping Mexico reach the economic and social prosperity that it badly deserves and b) improving border security instead of wasting billions of dollars on pointless wars. If Mexico was a prosperous country, I’m pretty sure that most Mexicans would choose to stay home instead of trying to flee their homeland. Mexico has massive potential and if the United States were truly smart, it’d do everything in its power to unlock that potential and practice completely free trade. However, until the “them and us” mentality comes to an end, I don’t see things improving.

Basically, stop your complaining and at least learn to accept people, without labeling them as criminals. They are only human beings and one thing they deserve is to be treated with dignity. Besides, let’s face it…America (like many nations) has an aging population and it actually needs more workers to help keep the aging population. Learn to accept different cultures and enjoy the diversity. Every human being brings something different to the table, as is the case with a particular culture.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-27-2007 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: inappropriate comments about other poster sentiments

 
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 26,433,604 times
Reputation: 3660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
Well immigration forum, I’d like to take a moment to share my own views on immigration, immigrants (both legal and illegal). As you may be able to figure out, I’m not American and I don’t even live there anymore! For your information, I’m IRISH and if you don’t want to hear some bloody foreigner rambling on about immigration, then I suggest you stop reading right now.

Listen people, illegal immigration is not the problem that is dragging your country down. It’s your clown of a president and his warmongering ways, dragging your country into a ghastly and expensive war, the costs of which you’ll be paying back for generations to come.

MOD CUT This is an open forum and I’m giving you the opportunity to be honest and tell us all how you REALLY feel. Let me put it this way, I’m pretty sure that if all the “illegals” you people love to complain about so much where white Anglos, most of you wouldn’t even give a rat’s arse, nor would you care to notice.

Illegals aren’t stealing your jobs, your jobs are being lost because of corporations outsourcing their jobs to countries where labour is cheaper, such as India. Have any of you ever called Dell lately, only to be answered by an Indian lady working at a call centre in Calcutta?

When I lived in America, I saw a lot of silent racism towards Hispanics in particular. People won’t just come out and admit that they dislike Hispanics, but they hide behind sly little remarks and innuendos instead. Even on this forum, I’ve read posts about how horrible it is to live near Hispanics and how people dread the Hispanics coming to town. It kind of reminds me of that South Park episode featuring the Goobacks, in which they cried “They took our jobs!!”.

The answer to America’s perceived problem with illegal immigration doesn’t lie in blaming the immigrants themselves. They are just people who are searching for a better life, just like your ancestors before you. It’s human nature to see a better opportunity and grab it with both hands for the sake of your own family. If you people were born in Tijuana and had California on your doorstep, I’m PRETTY SURE that 99.99% of you would choose to hop the border, just like the Mexicans you chastise and blame.

The answer lies in a) helping Mexico reach the economic and social prosperity that it badly deserves and b) improving border security instead of wasting billions of dollars on pointless wars. If Mexico was a prosperous country, I’m pretty sure that most Mexicans would choose to stay home instead of trying to flee their homeland. Mexico has massive potential and if the United States were truly smart, it’d do everything in its power to unlock that potential and practice completely free trade. However, until the “them and us” mentality comes to an end, I don’t see things improving.

Basically, stop your complaining and at least learn to accept people, without labeling them as criminals. They are only human beings and one thing they deserve is to be treated with dignity. Besides, let’s face it…America (like many nations) has an aging population and it actually needs more workers to help keep the aging population. Learn to accept different cultures and enjoy the diversity. Every human being brings something different to the table, as is the case with a particular culture.
As you stated: you live in Ireland so you are 'insulated' from what us Americans have to deal with.

We have the right to control our borders. If that offends you; that is your problem, not ours.

As for Bush et al; trust me, many of us, both Conservative and Liberal are angry to put it mildly.
 
Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,805 posts, read 5,437,325 times
Reputation: 2963
Perhaps if Ireland were invaded by 20 million French, half of whom immediately went on the public dole while the other half undercut Irish wages, stealing Irish jobs from Irish citizens, all the while protesting in the streets because they felt that they were entitled to all of the rights that Irish citizens enjoy, simply because their ancestors, the Gauls were on the European continent first, the person from Cork might be singing a different tune.
 
Old 11-28-2007, 10:21 AM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,633,663 times
Reputation: 2948
Default For your Info, Corkonian

You're committing a classic American offense, that of playing the "race card". It's a cheap, dismissive, intellectually dishonest way to think, but it's very common here. Apparently you learned well. The "race card' was invented back in my teenage years, (the 1960's), and has been used with monotonous regularity (and very doubtful validity) ever since, in every imaginable sort of discussion.

You allege that "we" wouldn't object if we were overun by "Anglo-Saxon" illegals..(a suspect position, made all the more curious in coming from an Irishman, whose OWN country hasn't particularly benefitted from its centuries-long domination by Anglo-Saxons. I understand your culture and language have pretty well disappeared as a result of these 'illegals' entering Ireland).

At any rate, your statement is a cheap shot hinting at racism. It may interest you to learn that the large majority of Americans are NOT anglo-saxon, so your statement is poorly reasoned. In America, an "Anglo" is a rather hazy description of a language group, NOT a race.

By playing the "race card", you absolve yourelf of any need to defend what you say. Any offense, any issue, any problem, any conceivable negative behavior, even a crime, if it can be tied to a "racial" factor, INSTANTLY becomes a racist issue. But OK, if you want to play the race card (which I HATE to do--My wife and I are of different races, and I seldom use it in our 'disagreements'--and I don't want her to 'scalp' me )---then OK, just for "laughs", lets play the "race card"---Here goes----try this on for size:

"You've alleged, Corkonian, that you in Ireland have illegals of your OWN. You say these people (mostly Polish) are coming into Ireland, working "cheap", and are competing with the locals. Yet you claim that they're 'good people, only trying to find work', and you profess no animosity toward them. But here's what I think, Corkonian---I think you "like" and admire these people ONLY BECAUSE THEY"RE WHITE. I think If Ireland were not "graced' with the wonderful 'addition' of these 'interesting' Poles, but was 'invaded' by hordes of Nigerians, or Bolivians, or Burmese, you wouldn't 'like' them, or 'admire' their culture---I think Ireland would ERUPT in ugly racial strife and violence. THAT"S what I think--in fact, i don't only THINK it--I KNOW it..."

There, see?--I played the race card. By doing so, I don't have to hear your 'side' of anything---I don't have to even THINK--because I KNOW what the problem is--and I KNOW that the only POSSIBLE objection you could have to ANY sort of non-white presence in your economy, is your RACISM. It lets me neatly 'off the hook'. I have the answer to why Ireland is so overwhelmingly full of WHITE people, and so devoid of non-whites....and that reason is simple--because it's RACIST, that's why!

(Now, I think I'll go take a shower. I absolutely LOATHE playing the "race card'. and I feel 'dirty' in doing so)....
 
Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
9,758 posts, read 13,699,387 times
Reputation: 13796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
Well immigration forum, Iíd like to take a moment to share my own views on immigration, immigrants (both legal and illegal). As you may be able to figure out, Iím not American and I donít even live there anymore! For your information, Iím IRISH and if you donít want to hear some bloody foreigner rambling on about immigration, then I suggest you stop reading right now.

Listen people, illegal immigration is not the problem that is dragging your country down. Itís your clown of a president and his warmongering ways, dragging your country into a ghastly and expensive war, the costs of which youíll be paying back for generations to come.

MOD CUT This is an open forum and Iím giving you the opportunity to be honest and tell us all how you REALLY feel. Let me put it this way, Iím pretty sure that if all the ďillegalsĒ you people love to complain about so much where white Anglos, most of you wouldnít even give a ratís arse, nor would you care to notice.

Illegals arenít stealing your jobs, your jobs are being lost because of corporations outsourcing their jobs to countries where labour is cheaper, such as India. Have any of you ever called Dell lately, only to be answered by an Indian lady working at a call centre in Calcutta?

When I lived in America, I saw a lot of silent racism towards Hispanics in particular. People wonít just come out and admit that they dislike Hispanics, but they hide behind sly little remarks and innuendos instead. Even on this forum, Iíve read posts about how horrible it is to live near Hispanics and how people dread the Hispanics coming to town. It kind of reminds me of that South Park episode featuring the Goobacks, in which they cried ďThey took our jobs!!Ē.

The answer to Americaís perceived problem with illegal immigration doesnít lie in blaming the immigrants themselves. They are just people who are searching for a better life, just like your ancestors before you. Itís human nature to see a better opportunity and grab it with both hands for the sake of your own family. If you people were born in Tijuana and had California on your doorstep, Iím PRETTY SURE that 99.99% of you would choose to hop the border, just like the Mexicans you chastise and blame.

The answer lies in a) helping Mexico reach the economic and social prosperity that it badly deserves and b) improving border security instead of wasting billions of dollars on pointless wars. If Mexico was a prosperous country, Iím pretty sure that most Mexicans would choose to stay home instead of trying to flee their homeland. Mexico has massive potential and if the United States were truly smart, itíd do everything in its power to unlock that potential and practice completely free trade. However, until the ďthem and usĒ mentality comes to an end, I donít see things improving.

Basically, stop your complaining and at least learn to accept people, without labeling them as criminals. They are only human beings and one thing they deserve is to be treated with dignity. Besides, letís face itÖAmerica (like many nations) has an aging population and it actually needs more workers to help keep the aging population. Learn to accept different cultures and enjoy the diversity. Every human being brings something different to the table, as is the case with a particular culture.
Feel free to share your views, but what on earth gives you the right to tell people in another country how they need to deal with their own problems? Your position sounds very high-and-mighty to me, and I really don't see the point in you scolding people you've never met and know nothing about.
 
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 395,767 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
Listen people, illegal immigration is not the problem that is dragging your country down. Itís your clown of a president and his warmongering ways, dragging your country into a ghastly and expensive war, the costs of which youíll be paying back for generations to come.


I'm against the Iraq War too, but I don't agree that it is the cause of all of our woes. I don't even agree that it's all Bush's fault, and I wouldn't vote for that SOB if you paid me.

Quote:
MOD CUT This is an open forum and Iím giving you the opportunity to be honest and tell us all how you REALLY feel. Let me put it this way, Iím pretty sure that if all the ďillegalsĒ you people love to complain about so much where white Anglos, most of you wouldnít even give a ratís arse, nor would you care to notice.
I can't speak for other people, but I don't feel that way. I don't care where illegals come from; they all need to go. Now. They need to pack their things and be on the next thing smoking OUT of here. I don't have any respect for people who come into my country and pi$$ all over our laws.

Quote:
Illegals arenít stealing your jobs, your jobs are being lost because of corporations outsourcing their jobs to countries where labour is cheaper, such as India. Have any of you ever called Dell lately, only to be answered by an Indian lady working at a call centre in Calcutta?
Illegals are stealing a lot of blue collar jobs in factories and in fields. You used to be able to make a good living as a meatpacker. Try it now! As for outsourcing, I don't think it'll get much worse than it is now and a lot of companies are starting to see there's not much cost benefit in moving certain operations over there.

Quote:
When I lived in America, I saw a lot of silent racism towards Hispanics in particular. People wonít just come out and admit that they dislike Hispanics, but they hide behind sly little remarks and innuendos instead. Even on this forum, Iíve read posts about how horrible it is to live near Hispanics and how people dread the Hispanics coming to town. It kind of reminds me of that South Park episode featuring the Goobacks, in which they cried ďThey took our jobs!!Ē.
They did take our jobs. I don't have anything against Hispanics; if I hated them, I wouldn't have moved back to Texas, a heavily Hispanic state. I dislike people who separate themselves culturally and make no effort to assimilate while expecting the rest of us to bend over backwards to accomodate them. No, no, no. That's not how I operate.

Quote:
The answer to Americaís perceived problem with illegal immigration doesnít lie in blaming the immigrants themselves. They are just people who are searching for a better life, just like your ancestors before you. Itís human nature to see a better opportunity and grab it with both hands for the sake of your own family. If you people were born in Tijuana and had California on your doorstep, Iím PRETTY SURE that 99.99% of you would choose to hop the border, just like the Mexicans you chastise and blame.
I resent that you assume I'd break the law.

Quote:
The answer lies in a) helping Mexico reach the economic and social prosperity that it badly deserves and b) improving border security instead of wasting billions of dollars on pointless wars. If Mexico was a prosperous country, Iím pretty sure that most Mexicans would choose to stay home instead of trying to flee their homeland. Mexico has massive potential and if the United States were truly smart, itíd do everything in its power to unlock that potential and practice completely free trade. However, until the ďthem and usĒ mentality comes to an end, I donít see things improving.
Mexico is Mexico's problem. This country was not founded to be Mexico's economic refugee camp.

Quote:
Basically, stop your complaining and at least learn to accept people, without labeling them as criminals. They are only human beings and one thing they deserve is to be treated with dignity. Besides, letís face itÖAmerica (like many nations) has an aging population and it actually needs more workers to help keep the aging population. Learn to accept different cultures and enjoy the diversity. Every human being brings something different to the table, as is the case with a particular culture.
Sorry...illegals are criminals. I don't care where they're from or what color they are. They are violating my country's sovereignty by coming here illegally and they don't deserve to stay.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but you and your American partner both turned your backs on this country and went back to Ireland. I'd like to know...what's it to you?
 
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM
 
1,863 posts, read 2,161,185 times
Reputation: 553
What part of ILLEGAL does this person not understand?

People who cannot justify illegals coming over the border (and taking benefits from the U.S. taxpayers) use the term "racism" to defend their position, because they have nothing else.

What a bunch of drivel.
 
Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 395,767 times
Reputation: 533
Nah...I think he's genuinely curious, he's just of a different mindset. It's common among both American and European left-wingers.

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-28-2007 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: deleted the reference, left the posting intact
 
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
 
8,972 posts, read 10,633,663 times
Reputation: 2948
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Nah...I think he's genuinely curious, he's just of a different mindset. It's common among both American and European left-wingers.
I agree. As I've said before, it's a perfectly sound "mindset"...in fact, at one time, it was MY mindset. I was about 15 years old at the time. Cool. That's how 15 year olds are SUPPOSED to think. My generation, in the 1960's, had ALL the answers---to racism, oppression, war, and everything. And the vast majority of this was America's fault. We KNEW it.

By the time you're 30 or so, though, you're supposed to know better. Some things are due to racism----but a WHOLE LOT of things aren't..
 
Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 395,767 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree. As I've said before, it's a perfectly sound "mindset"...in fact, at one time, it was MY mindset. I was about 15 years old at the time. Cool. That's how 15 year olds are SUPPOSED to think. My generation, in the 1960's, had ALL the answers---to racism, oppression, war, and everything. And the vast majority of this was America's fault. We KNEW it.

By the time you're 30 or so, though, you're supposed to know better. Some things are due to racism----but a WHOLE LOT of things aren't..
A lot of American lefties grow out of it; their European counterparts often don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 PM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top