U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:07 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
The cost of dialysis is MUCH lower than the cost of treating people who were denied dialysis.
Returning them to their home countries so they can receive treatment there is even less expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
That would be one solution. Another would be to give them the dialysis treatments and let them continue in their U.S. jobs.
The chances are very good that they are not working. I suspect there are few people on dialysis who are working as roofers or performing other manual labor.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
The American taxpayer. We pay for everything else, don't we?

Because we need people willing to work. To work hard, taking the place of lazy, bottom rung U.S. citizens who think they should be paid more for doing less.
You just don't get it, do you? While dialysis keeps ESRD patients alive, many people undergoing dialysis simply do not feel very well and do not have the energy level that a healthy person does. Do you honestly think that an illegal on dialysis is going to be digging ditches or something?Dialysis is also very time consuming and the patient may need to make special arrangements with their employer. How is some illegal, who is not supposed to be here in the first place, going to do that?

Old 11-30-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas doc View Post
I am a doctor in Texas and I frequently encounter illegal immigrants who have developed ESRD while in the US. In many states, such as Texas, they have few options. Most choose to get dialysis by coming to the ER when they are so sick that dialysis is an emergency and must be provided by law. They tend to live only a few years because of the stress of not getting regular dialysis. It is heartbreaking as their doctor to not have a better option for them. I think many of you who perseverate over the expense of their care would feel differently if you understood that not providing them care is essentially dooming them to death.
Here we have what is called a 'teachable moment' and I hope you will take advantage of it. You should point out to your illegal alien dialysis patients that dialysis needs to be performed on a regular schedule and when the treatment schedule is erratic because they are using the ER as a dialysis facility, this [i]could[i] result in a shortened lifespan. That is why it is very important that they return to their home country (which is Mexico most of the time) so they can receive the care that they are entitled to as a Mexican citizen.
If they are under the delusion that dialysis for illegals is going to be covered by a government program just like dialysis for citizens, then it is your job to disabuse them of that notion. Because even we gringos are not that stupid.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 PM

335 posts, read 281,033 times
Quote:
That would be one solution. Another would be to give them the dialysis treatments and let them continue in their U.S. jobs.
Let illegal aliens continue to violate our immigration laws by working here? So you admit that you support lawbreaking.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 AM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
<< Another would be to give them the dialysis treatments andlet them continue in their U.S. jobs.>>

Just what kind of job do you think a person who needs dialysis 2-3 times per week can do?

Do they also get welfare, SSDI, or some other kind of government assistance?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 AM

777 posts, read 1,095,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The chances are very good that they are not working. I suspect there are few people on dialysis who are working as roofers or performing other manual labor.
Good point. Like you say, the person getting the dialysis probably would not continue working. On the other hand, there may be others in his/her family who work, and would be able to continue working while their loved one received care.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
You just don't get it, do you? While dialysis keeps ESRD patients alive, many people undergoing dialysis simply do not feel very well and do not have the energy level that a healthy person does. Do you honestly think that an illegal on dialysis is going to be digging ditches or something?Dialysis is also very time consuming and the patient may need to make special arrangements with their employer. How is some illegal, who is not supposed to be here in the first place, going to do that?
See above. Also, I don’t think all dialysis patients are end stage.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbartlebee View Post
Let illegal aliens continue to violate our immigration laws by working here? So you admit that you support lawbreaking.
Support lawbreaking? I would not say I go so far as to support it. But I try to approach the illegal immigrant situation with an open mind. I try to understand why the illegals came here in the first place, and why there is a demand for them in America.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<< Another would be to give them the dialysis treatments andlet them continue in their U.S. jobs.>>

Just what kind of job do you think a person who needs dialysis 2-3 times per week can do?

Do they also get welfare, SSDI, or some other kind of government assistance?
Probably none, as andrea pointed out. But there may be others in his/her family who work, and would be able to continue working while their loved one received care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or