Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,488,668 times

Advertisements

Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee has introduced to the House the Clear Law Enforcement for Criminal Alien Removal Act of 2009 (HR 2406) which would fund the continuation of the 287(g) local law enforcement program that allows them to screen and find illegal aliens in their communities who have been arrested. The bill also would end federal funding to cities that are sanctuary cities for illegal aliens. These cities include places like San Francisco who openly thumb their noses at immigration law.

Current co-sponsors include the following:

Akin, W. Todd [MO-2], Bilbray, Brian P. [CA-50], Broun, Paul C. [GA-10], Brown, Henry E., Jr. [SC-1], Brown-Waite, Ginny [FL-5], Cole, Tom [OK-4], Fleming, John [LA-4], Franks, Trent [AZ-2], Heller, Dean [NV-2], Lamborn, Doug [CO-5], Marchant, Kenny [TX-24], McClintock, Tom [CA-4], Pence, Mike [IN-6], Pitts, Joseph R. [PA-16], Price, Tom [GA-6], Rogers, Mike J. [MI-8], Rohrabacher, Dana [CA-46], Royce, Edward R. [CA-40], Simpson, Michael K. [ID-2]

Text of the legislation: Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

CLEAR Act Introduced [HR 2406] To Fund 287g And End Funding To Sanctuary Cities [Video] : Diggers Realm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,843,329 times
I wish the best of luck to this bill although I'm certain that the ACLU, LULAC, MALDEF, NCLR & The US Chamber of Commerce will likely stick to their accusations of 'racism', 'xenophobia' and 'discrimination' in order to suppress or discourage any legitimate opposition to illegal immigration.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,625,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
I wish the best of luck to this bill although I'm certain that the ACLU, LULAC, MALDEF, NCLR & The US Chamber of Commerce will likely stick to their accusations of 'racism', 'xenophobia' and 'discrimination' in order to suppress or discourage any legitimate opposition to illegal immigration.

Actually, that's the Anti ACLU, La Racist and the IA Chamber of Commerce if you don't mind.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:06 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,365,433 times
This is great news. It seems as though a lot of rulings that formerly sided with IA's and their supporters are being reversed these days.

Quote:
U.S. judge tosses out suit against border fence

"EL PASO -- Border fence opponents continue running into roadblocks in the courts, which keep throwing out lawsuits to stop the fence project.
On Friday, U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton, in Washington, D.C., ruled the Texas Border Coalition did not have standing to sue because its members were not affected property owners.

The Texas Border Coalition, which represents several mayors and business and community leaders, sued the Homeland Security Department, alleging the department did not fairly negotiate compensation with landowners for access to their land for six-month surveys to choose fence sites. ......"
more here: U.S. judge tosses out suit against border fence (8:49 a.m.) - Las Cruces Sun-News

Old 05-27-2009, 06:30 PM

804 posts, read 1,354,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
This is great news. It seems as though a lot of rulings that formerly sided with IA's and their supporters are being reversed these days.

more here: U.S. judge tosses out suit against border fence (8:49 a.m.) - Las Cruces Sun-News

I would think that the suit's main objective was to stall, and they will probably re-file with some of the land owners to get to do it again.

I don't think all of the law suits have winning as their objective, some of them are for time, some for awareness, some so they can be lost and appealed to a bigger court, with higher visibility (and press coverage).

I think in this case, since the ones suing are not the ones that got paid or the ones who would benefit from the result, I would think that the suit was to bring attention to the issue or stall.

And how successful it was depends on how much time it actually stalled vs. how long they though it would.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

Despite the denials of the pro illegal apologists; the hammer is indeed coming down and claiming more 'victims'

Old 05-28-2009, 04:25 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,315,321 times
If it passes, the city I live in, will be doomed!! LOL!!
This place is bad.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:55 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,128,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If it passes, the city I live in, will be doomed!! LOL!!
This place is bad.
If it passes LA , NYC and Pheonix will become ghost towns. In the immortal words of AZB, the "hammer continues to fall". Wish it would hurry up, its been falling an awful long time now. Falling and falling and...........

Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,985,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
If it passes LA , NYC and Pheonix will become ghost towns. In the immortal words of AZB, the "hammer continues to fall". Wish it would hurry up, its been falling an awful long time now. Falling and falling and...........
FYI: the illegal alien population here in Phx, etc. is declining rapidly; most of our 'Latinos' here are indeed American--------and, quite a few of them are very anti illegal immigration.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,509,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Alexandria and Arlington, VA become ghost towns. The way they embrace illegals here they deserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration