U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 02:29 PM

52,797 posts, read 75,765,139 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, how long has illegal immigration gone on in your area, if it occurs at all? Where do most of these immigrants come from? How did they get there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 02:38 PM

804 posts, read 1,176,095 times
Austin, Texas:

Mexico, probably the majority; several contries in south america, mostly my friends were from Ecuador, Chile, Peru, Argentina,and Brazil; and from other places, Latvia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Serbia.

Ann Arbor, MI:

I don't know, I haven't met many illegals here, or I just don't know if they are illegally here or not. From my experience usually you have to know them somewhat well before they start telling you their immigration status. Haha, most people on this town are college students... so the topic doesn't really come up often.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM

807 posts, read 1,118,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was wondering, how long has illegal immigration gone on in your area, if it occurs at all? Where do most of these immigrants come from? How did they get there?
Central and Northern California mostly from Mexico..

Central California, the Central Valley has a large agricultural base but the illegal immigration influx has been especially impacting over the past 10 years.. Northern California it has been noticed over the past 5 years..

Old 05-27-2009, 03:42 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,896,188 times
There have been reports that there maybe as many as 400,000 in the Houston area. And reports that they cost the Harris county hospitals around 100 million dollars a year paid for with property taxes. Most are from Mexico so they say, news media..

Old 05-27-2009, 05:11 PM

23,046 posts, read 32,036,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hampton Roads, VA: Since 2004 (the time i moved and still had a very low illegal alien population), mostly Central American illegals. Still not many illegals compared to other spots but population is growing.

Northern Virginia: God knows when, i'll put it that way. Most come from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and selected African countries. El Salvador's got here by way of Temporary Protected Status (which is codeword for here to stay) most come here through the Southern Border and overstayed visas.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM

569 posts, read 1,467,461 times
South Florida: Mexico, Guatemala, all over South and Central America, Haiti, Dominican Republic and other Caribbean islands. Illegals are an epidemic in Florida and taking over.

It seems to be a mystery how many of them get here but a lot of families pay to bring them over and they just disappear into their respective language speaking communities. There is also an endless stream of rafts and inner tubes and rusted tub boats coming in every night. Many of them are diseased and of course they get free medical care for life when they arrive. The illegal migration has been booming and picking up steam for the past 20 years or so at least.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM

804 posts, read 1,176,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
South Florida: Mexico, Guatemala, all over South and Central America, Haiti, Dominican Republic and other Caribbean islands. Illegals are an epidemic in Florida and taking over.

It seems to be a mystery how many of them get here but a lot of families pay to bring them over and they just disappear into their respective language speaking communities. There is also an endless stream of rafts and inner tubes and rusted tub boats coming in every night. Many of them are diseased and of course they get free medical care for life when they arrive. The illegal migration has been booming and picking up steam for the past 20 years or so at least.
Judging from your location, the individuals that come in rafts, inner tubes, and rusted tub boats are from Cuba. All of those are legal immigrants and not illegal aliens as per the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:07 PM

32,889 posts, read 30,138,774 times
San Diego, hundreds walk across each day. It's become a daily thing to deal with if you live near a community that is mostly Illegals. It's gotten progressively worse in the last 20 years with estimates of 3 million now.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Judging from your location, the individuals that come in rafts, inner tubes, and rusted tub boats are from Cuba. All of those are legal immigrants and not illegal aliens as per the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966.
Many are still from Cuba but many are also from Haiti and other islands now. By the way Cubans are illegal like all the rest. The policy is called wet foot-dry foot and means if Cubans are intercepted at sea they are sent back to Cuba. If they make it to dry land they can apply for refugee status. Cubans are by no means automatically legalized citizens. Haitians are coming in droves and bringing AIDS and TB and other terrible diseases with them. The South and Central Americans are mostly coming by plane and just disappearing. Things have gotten very bad down here. It's getting harder and harder to find people who still speak English.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
San Diego, hundreds walk across each day. It's become a daily thing to deal with if you live near a community that is mostly Illegals. It's gotten progressively worse in the last 20 years with estimates of 3 million now.
I don't think I could stand that. I feel bad for California since it was so much better before this all started happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or