U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 AM

103 posts, read 121,116 times

Advertisements

PHOENIX, Ariz. — David used to be one of those people who say: “Get out of our country if you don’t belong here.” That was until he fell in love with an undocumented immigrant.

After seven years of living together, David, an American citizen, worries about his same-sex partner’s ability to remain in the country. Guille, 38, came to the U.S. over nine years ago from Colombia, and his tourist visa has expired.

While federal immigration laws allow heterosexual residents to sponsor their spouses to immigrate to the country, gay and lesbian couples are not afforded the same benefit.

Gay Marriage Meets the Immigration Debate - NAM

Old 05-28-2009, 12:21 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times
I wonder if there are any Binational couples amongst the 18K CA same sex couples who retained legal marraige status?

what if one of them is on a visa about to expire, what options do they have?

quite a dilemma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0rdfish View Post
PHOENIX, Ariz. — David used to be one of those people who say: “Get out of our country if you don’t belong here.” That was until he fell in love with an undocumented immigrant.

After seven years of living together, David, an American citizen, worries about his same-sex partner’s ability to remain in the country. Guille, 38, came to the U.S. over nine years ago from Colombia, and his tourist visa has expired.

While federal immigration laws allow heterosexual residents to sponsor their spouses to immigrate to the country, gay and lesbian couples are not afforded the same benefit.

Gay Marriage Meets the Immigration Debate - NAM

Old 05-28-2009, 12:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
I don't understand why they waited so long to try to rectify his immigration status. The same goes for the lesbian couple who were in the news recently.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 PM

223 posts, read 253,980 times
This is going to be good. It's going to expose the people within the ranks of the so called "anti-illegals". I doubt they'll be able to resist the temptation of showing their intolerance toward Hispanic foreigners and gays at the same time.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:23 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
This is going to be good. It's going to expose the people within the ranks of the so called "anti-illegals". I doubt they'll be able to resist the temptation of showing their intolerance toward Hispanic foreigners and gays at the same time.
Why would it matter if they are gay or not? They are here illegally and that is that. If they want to wail about Prop 8 back in Columbia, I guess they can all day long . Someone gay getting married isn't costing me an arm and a leg like your so called, "Hispanic foreigner" or "Illegal Alien" which is what the topic should be about. Once they let the Visa expire they no longer are a tourist but an Illegal Alien.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,775,631 times
There are a few of those on this forum chicano but if you check the myriad gay threads on politics and controversies you will see a lot of us against illegal immigration are for full rights for gay citizens.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,581,916 times
Quote:
Huh? Since when were all anti-illegals officially homophobic? And since when were all anti-illegals anti-Hispanic?

If all anti-illegals are anti-Hispanic then does that imply that the Hispanic group known as You Don't Speak for Me are racist towards themselves? You Don't Speak for Me (http://dontspeakforme.org/ - broken link)

Again, stop trying to link all anti-illegals with anti-Hispanics. Doing that is about as inaccurate as me linking all pro-amnesty groups with the ethnocentric & racist brown supremacist Mexica Movement.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:25 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Quote:
Sorry to disapoint, but I am for gay marriage. I understand that immigrants from SOB (both legal and not) are generally quite opposed to gay marriage. Does that make them hippocrites? Homophobic? Weren't they quite vocal about it in CA with prop 8?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,581,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Sorry to disapoint, but I am for gay marriage. I understand that immigrants from SOB (both legal and not) are generally quite opposed to gay marriage. Does that make them hippocrites? Homophobic? Weren't they quite vocal about it in CA with prop 8?
Isn't it sad that pro-illegals tend to link all anti-illegal sentiment to racism and any other type of discrimination that comes to mind?

Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 PM

223 posts, read 253,980 times
I don't know who "hippocrites" is(Greek philosopher?), but I think you guys don't quite understand what "within the ranks" means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration