U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-28-2009, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,043,547 times
Reputation: 780

Advertisements

I've been off this forum for over a year, mainly because arguing with the pro-illegals on here is pointless and made me extremely angry. Coming back and reading the threads I see that not much has changed. It seems as though a pro-illegal will post a thread just to stir the pot, then not even respond when someone challenges their point. Others refuse to view things logically and use those tired labels, i.e. "xenophobic", "racist", etc. I know that nothing I say will change the minds of these people, and trying to is a waste of time.
I would however like to express my opinion, for whatever it's worth. I have nothing against immigrants of any country or race who wish to come here to make a better life for their family and become Americans. I do however dislike any immigrant or illegal alien who comes to this country to taken advantage of it's opportunities, but have no love or respect for it. All the articles and videos from both sides of this debate are biased to one side or the other, and all probably have some truth to them. I however will take my personal experience over what I am told to think. I have no problem with Mexican culture, or any culture for that matter, I find learning about different cultures to be interesting, and especially like eating food from other cultures. But there's a difference between experiencing other cultures, and being over run by them. I live in the central valley in CA. The hispanic populations in most of the cities in my area are typically 60-70%. When I go out into public I hear Spanish more often than English. I get hateful stares everyday, and mariachi music is heard everywhere. I went to a minor league baseball game with my son in Modesto a few weeks ago where all the batters where announced in Spanish, and only in Spanish. My problem with this whole situation is I don't feel like this is my country anymore. I hate to go out into public, and usually come home angry or annoyed when I do. It is not speculation, or some article I read, it is what I see everyday. If my wife's family didn't live around here I would have left long ago, and I'm sure many like me have already left their home because of this situation, and to me it's not right.
I'm sure feeling this way is going to spark the labeling from the pro-illegals on this board, but I really don't care. I don't want to feel like I live in Mexico. I feel illegal immigration and the refusal to assimilate by certain cultures is ruining this country, and if feeling that way makes me xenophobic or racist, so be it.

Last edited by SimpleMan; 05-28-2009 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2009, 05:04 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,901,976 times
Reputation: 1094
Those of us who come to this board daily to post stories, discuss and in some cases vent out of the frustration that continues to result from the invasion of this country feel exactly the same as you do. You have summed it up quite nicely in your own words.

Not only do I agree with you, I mourn for the loss of this great nation and I also feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,426 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I've been off this forum for over a year, mainly because arguing with the pro-illegals on here is pointless and made me extremely angry. Coming back and reading the threads I see that not much has changed. It seems as though a pro-illegal will post a thread just to stir the pot, then not even respond when someone challenges their point. Others refuse to view things logically and use those tired labels, i.e. "xenophobic", "racist", etc. I know that nothing I say will change the minds of these people, and trying to is a waste of time.
I would however like to express my opinion, for whatever it's worth. I have nothing against immigrants of any country or race who wish to come here to make a better life for their family and become Americans. I do however dislike any immigrant or illegal alien who comes to this country to taken advantage of it's opportunities, but have no love or respect for it. All the articles and videos from both sides of this debate are biased to one side or the other, and all probably have some truth to them. I however will take my personal experience over what I am told to think. I have no problem with Mexican culture, or any culture for that matter, I find learning about different cultures to be interesting, and especially like eating food from other cultures. But there's a difference between experiencing other cultures, and being over run by them. I live in the central valley in CA. The hispanic populations in most of the cities in my area are typically 60-70%. When I go out into public I hear Spanish more often than English. I get hateful stares everyday, and mariachi music is heard everywhere. I went to a minor league baseball game with my son in Modesto a few weeks ago where all the batters where announced in Spanish, and only in Spanish. My problem with this whole situation is I don't feel like this is my country anymore. I hate to go out into public, and usually come home angry or annoyed when I do. It is not speculation, or some article I read, it is what I see everyday. If my wife's family didn't live around here I would have left long ago, and I'm sure many like me have already left their home because of this situation, and to me it's not right.
I'm sure feeling this way is going to spark the labeling from the pro-illegals on this board, but I really don't care. I don't want to feel like I live in Mexico. I feel illegal immigration and the refusal to assimilate by certain cultures is ruining this country, and if feeling that way makes me xenophobic or racist, so be it.
Its sad to that sometimes the only way to get away from being over run is to....retreat. How can we be talking about retreat? Because thats what happens when a battle is being lost. How can this be happening in our country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 07:46 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,713,551 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
You don't have learn spanish because they speak english in Mexico. Go to Ixtapa and enjoy the beaches and you will see.
Oh, no thanks. I prefer not to catch the H1N1 swine flu.

By the way............your True Leaders in the Glorious Motherland 'borrowed' 400,000 doses of an antiviral medication (Tamiflu) from us during the initial outbreak since you had not bothered to set aside a decent sized stockpile for yourselves. (What else is new, huh? Whenever a problem breaks out, just go to good old Uncle Sucker, I mean Uncle Sam) Anyhow, don't forget to pay us back. After all, the day might come when we need that medication to treat actual Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
 
Location: United States
142 posts, read 192,616 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
It seems as though a pro-illegal will post a thread just to stir the pot, then not even respond when someone challenges their point.
I am considered pro-illegal by some when I am not. I support a path to citizenship for all illegals currently in the United States and for it to be easier for future immigrants to become Americans.

Quote:

Others refuse to view things logically and use those tired labels, i.e. "xenophobic", "racist", etc.
Refuse to see things logically or see things your way? There is a lot of racism being thrown around in the immigraton debate.

Quote:
I have no problem with Mexican culture, or any culture for that matter, I find learning about different cultures to be interesting, and especially like eating food from other cultures. But there's a difference between experiencing other cultures, and being over run by them. I live in the central valley in CA. The hispanic populations in most of the cities in my area are typically 60-70%. When I go out into public I hear Spanish more often than English.


So? Many areas of the country are heavily influenced by another country. They speak their native language. What is so bad about Spanish?

Quote:
I get hateful stares everyday,
Maybe you think you get hateful stares? I know around here it is respectful to smile if you make eye contact. (The South)

Quote:
and mariachi music is heard everywhere.
Did you not say you like other cultures?

Quote:
all the batters where announced in Spanish, and only in Spanish.
The United States does not have an official language.

Quote:
My problem with this whole situation is I don't feel like this is my country anymore.
It never was. The United States is for all. Times have changed since the 60's. Racism is falling and more non-white cultures are being accepted.

Quote:
I hate to go out into public, and usually come home angry or annoyed when I do. It is not speculation, or some article I read, it is what I see everyday. If my wife's family didn't live around here I would have left long ago, and I'm sure many like me have already left their home because of this situation, and to me it's not right.
Why? Because the previous dominant culture is falling?

Quote:
I don't want to feel like I live in Mexico. I feel illegal immigration and the refusal to assimilate by certain cultures is ruining this country, and if feeling that way makes me xenophobic or racist, so be it.
Xenophobic for sure, racist maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,426 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
It's his choice if he wants to learn Spanish or not. I took French in 10th and 11th grade and barely passed both years. That's ALL the foreign language study i'll ever do.

Wonder why the call it foreign language and not "your second language". Guess they haven't quite gotten high school courses up to date with NewSpeak yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,426 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
I am considered pro-illegal by some when I am not. I support a path to citizenship for all illegals currently in the United States and for it to be easier for future immigrants to become Americans.
Concidered pro-illegal? Your not, you just support ALL of the ones in America? You ARE pro-illegal. I dont think we need to define what is is with you.
If we need to do anything we need to make it harder immigrate here. We dont need everyones left overs and rejects. We have enough of our own to care for and clean up.

Quote:
Refuse to see things logically or see things your way? There is a lot of racism being thrown around in the immigraton debate.
Yes. There is, by you and your ilk. "He's a racist!", "Your a racist!", "Anyone who is against illegal immigration is a RACIST!", yeah like that.

Also I think when he said logically he meant just that. California is now being forced to use logic too. Quite entertaining. I love watching the liberal hope, wishing, and happy thoughts policy fail out there. Conservative, real conservative policies do work. Wonder what every happened to Cali's 6 BILLION dollar state funded stem cell research project from a couple years back?

Quote:
So? Many areas of the country are heavily influenced by another country. They speak their native language. What is so bad about Spanish?
Huh? What like China Town? Having a GermanFest or Oktoberfest once a year? Name a place where any other nations people have immigrated by the MILLIONS, illegal and legal, and taken over entire city in this form.

Quote:
Did you not say you like other cultures?
He said he liked to experience other cultures, and NOT be over run by them. I myself enjoy hearing live Mexican music at say a Los Cucos, I do not however wish to take the band home and have it played out side my house or blared in my neighborhood.

Quote:
The United States does not have an official language.
Sure as hell should tho.

The vast majority of Americans do and always have spoken English. I would love to vote into place a national language so that we could start getting past this nonsense of posting everything is multiple languages. We are a nation of mostly English speaking people, 220 million or so, it is VERY simple to see that if we put this to a vote or for that matter where just trying to generally accept something that we could see English is the primary and dominant language.
having said that, look at what St. Augustine said, "When men cannot communicate their thoughts to each other, simply because of difference of language, all the similarity of their common nature is of no avail to unite them in fellowship." Alexis de Tocqueville made the same point: "Language is perhaps the strongest, perhaps most enduring link which unites men."

Point is these good ole' immigrants, legal and illegal, cannot fully participate in out society, the one YOU claim they want to be a helpful part of so badly, if they don't even share the language. How can they expect to learn, acquire better skills, or interact in the market place?

They cannot. Of course many don't want to. They have no desire to assimilate. They are her to get what they can and do as little as possible to be American.

Quote:
It never was. The United States is for all. Times have changed since the 60's. Racism is falling and more non-white cultures are being accepted.
Hardly, racism is as strong as ever. Just now its focused again the evil white man.

Quote:
Why? Because the previous dominant culture is falling?
Re Conquista anyone? We are not falling we are being guilted into handing everything over. This Western guilt complex will come to the surface for many many more people in the near future.


Quote:
Xenophobic for sure, racist maybe.
Riiight... because Americans don't want to give up their way of life for another FOREIGN cultures way? Many many wars have been fought over this. In fact isn't this what you leftist claim makes middle eastern nations hate us so much, we try to press our western ways on them? Funny its everything that is wrong with us, but WE need to set back and let it happen.

Sorry, but no go. I will not be invaded, violently or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Your a joke. You troll and thats it. You pop out immature quips. Your so darn clever.

Fact is, is that to be a CITIZEN you have to learn and speak SPANISH. He did say if MOVED THERE, that he would gladly learn Spanish.

Tourist have no need to, they spend a little cash and then they leave.

The illegals here are not just visiting and wishing to spend a little cash.

YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE...
Face it: DREAMIes are nothing but a bunch of pathetic losers.

If they had any courage/class: they would be at home building up their nations instead of being criminals here in the USA sucking up our resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Concidered pro-illegal? Your not, you just support ALL of the ones in America? You ARE pro-illegal. I dont think we need to define what is is with you.
If we need to do anything we need to make it harder immigrate here. We dont need everyones left overs and rejects. We have enough of our own to care for and clean up.



Yes. There is, by you and your ilk. "He's a racist!", "Your a racist!", "Anyone who is against illegal immigration is a RACIST!", yeah like that.

Also I think when he said logically he meant just that. California is now being forced to use logic too. Quite entertaining. I love watching the liberal hope, wishing, and happy thoughts policy fail out there. Conservative, real conservative policies do work. Wonder what every happened to Cali's 6 BILLION dollar state funded stem cell research project from a couple years back?



Huh? What like China Town? Having a GermanFest or Oktoberfest once a year? Name a place where any other nations people have immigrated by the MILLIONS, illegal and legal, and taken over entire city in this form.



He said he liked to experience other cultures, and NOT be over run by them. I myself enjoy hearing live Mexican music at say a Los Cucos, I do not however wish to take the band home and have it played out side my house or blared in my neighborhood.


Sure as hell should tho.

The vast majority of Americans do and always have spoken English. I would love to vote into place a national language so that we could start getting past this nonsense of posting everything is multiple languages. We are a nation of mostly English speaking people, 220 million or so, it is VERY simple to see that if we put this to a vote or for that matter where just trying to generally accept something that we could see English is the primary and dominant language.
having said that, look at what St. Augustine said, "When men cannot communicate their thoughts to each other, simply because of difference of language, all the similarity of their common nature is of no avail to unite them in fellowship." Alexis de Tocqueville made the same point: "Language is perhaps the strongest, perhaps most enduring link which unites men."

Point is these good ole' immigrants, legal and illegal, cannot fully participate in out society, the one YOU claim they want to be a helpful part of so badly, if they don't even share the language. How can they expect to learn, acquire better skills, or interact in the market place?

They cannot. Of course many don't want to. They have no desire to assimilate. They are her to get what they can and do as little as possible to be American.



Hardly, racism is as strong as ever. Just now its focused again the evil white man.



Re Conquista anyone? We are not falling we are being guilted into handing everything over. This Western guilt complex will come to the surface for many many more people in the near future.




Riiight... because Americans don't want to give up their way of life for another FOREIGN cultures way? Many many wars have been fought over this. In fact isn't this what you leftist claim makes middle eastern nations hate us so much, we try to press our western ways on them? Funny its everything that is wrong with us, but WE need to set back and let it happen.

Sorry, but no go. I will not be invaded, violently or not.
If I were Mexico: I would be petrified about being subjugated by the USA once the former nation disintegrates courtesy of its drug wars.

We (the USA) ended the use of the Spanish language in the Philippines in just two generations so Mexico would not be that much harder. The difference is if we were smart-----------we would keep at least northern Mexico and Americanize it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 3,706,677 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
Why? Because the previous dominant culture is falling?
No, because the culture replacing it is predominantly misogynistic and lazy, with no aspirations to find a better job, educate oneself or be upwardly mobile in any way. Our culture is being replaced by another culture that goes directly against what this country initially stood for. It's offensive to our sense of what's right.

Personally, I don't care if they want to be like that in their own country, but leave it over there, don't bring it here.

I know people say others are crying Chicken Little, but really, really think about it. If my characterization of those people is mostly true and they start multiplying at a rapid rate, what do you think is going to happen? They're going to turn us into the culture they're trying to escape from by immigrating here. It really makes no sense on their part, but I guess it's asking to much for them to be forward thinking.

What really annoys me is that the people in this country who see what's going on and are outraged by it are too fat and happy to stop it. If they don't, no one else will. They let themselves be guilt-tripped by cries of racism. The problem is, not all of the cultures in the U.S. can be dominant at the same time. For this reason, I think it's better for our existing culture, that stresses tolerance, to maintain itself as the dominant culture but the problem is no one knows where to draw the line. What's the difference between being tolerant, respectful and non-judgmental and pandering to everyone's needs 24/7?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top