U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:07 PM

472 posts, read 581,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
It is not generalizing to say that there are no Dominicans who look Nordic because the Dominican Republic does not have a history of attracting immigrants from countries with a very large Nordic population.

That is why you don't see Dominicans who look like this
http://img.atpictures.com/images2/pa...ur_5163884.jpg

Even South Africa has more Nordic looking people than the Dominican Republic because South Africa received alot of immigrants from countries like England and the Netherlands for example.
My dad and brother look just like that and they are Dominican. Now again, not many look like that but some do. Do they have Nordic roots? No, mainly Spaniards. (Greatgrandparents were all born in Spain). Now here is the composition of the Dominican Republic:
73% mixed, 16% white and 11% black.
Culture of Dominican Republic - History and ethnic relations, Urbanism, architecture, and the use of space
In modern times there is also immigrants from European and Asian descent:
Dominican Republic - Modern Immigration

In Puerto Plata there is a pretty big German community, many of which date back to the holocaust.

Now, not to get off topic this is the wrong forum for this discussion, just wanted to give some background information about this subject. Like most humans we can't easily trace our ancestors with spotless precision. This is why I don't hide my ancestry or heritage. There is nothing wrong with being mixed black or white. We're all humans afterall.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:28 PM

709 posts, read 1,113,361 times
Quote:
73% mixed, 16% white and 11% black.
That census is very misleading because there is no way in hell that only 11% of the population in the Dominican Republic is Black.

Having lived in New York and being exposed to what Dominicans racially look like, I can definitely say the majority of Dominicans would be sitting at the back of the bus if they lived in the American South during Jim Crow. The reason is because most Dominicans have an appearance that would easily pass off as looking Black by United States standards.

Most Domicans look closer to African Americans in appearance than they do to Mexicans or Guatemalans for example.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
That census is very misleading because there is no way in hell that only 11% of the population in the Dominican Republic is Black.

Having used to live in New York and having been exposed to what Dominicans racially look like, I can definitely say the majority of Dominicans would be sitting at the back of the bus if they lived in the American South during Jim Crow. The reason is because most Dominicans have an appearance thar would easily pass off as looking Black by United States standards.

Most Domicans look closer to African Americans in appearance than they do to Mexicans or Guatemalans for example.
Again, we are totaly off topic here. Mixed is a mix of black, taino and sometimes european, or any combination thereof. Who knows, I may indeed have African roots, I wouldn't be embarassed or ashamed of that at all, why?! Many African slaves were brought to the Island by Spaniards. Going back to why Dominicans don't look like most Central, South Americans and Mexicans? Is simple: is because the native population, the Tainos, got mixed (thru rape), killed, or died due to smallpox and other diseases brought from Europe. Tainos (native Dominicans who were also native to Puerto Rico and Cuba) were not like the Astec, Mayans or Incas, they didn't have an empire, they were also pacifists. Unlike the Incas for example, who had fought wars. The Tainos didn't know the meaning of war, they lived a simple, happy life. The caribeean, DR, Puerto Rico and Cuba is mainly mixed. Some can trace back to the Tainos but is rare or close to impossible to find pure Tainos. So to answer your question, the racial composition of most Dominicans is HIGHLY mixed (Mestizo). That's why you see 73% mixed. Here is the wikipedia link on Tainos:
TaĆ*no - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I live in NY too and I'm Dominican American and trust me, like I said before, you will see every shade there is. Usually leaning towards darker. FYI, the definition of black in the Dominican Republic is very different from that in the United States. Here if you are mixed and look black, you are considered Black. In DR if you are mixed, even if you look 100% black, you are considered mixed.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:28 PM

709 posts, read 1,113,361 times
Quote:
most Dominicans is HIGHLY mixed (Mestizo).
The definition of Mestizo does not include having African ancestry, so the majority of Dominicans do not qualify as Mestizos because most Dominicans have African ancestry.
Mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I live in NY too and I'm Dominican American and trust me, like I said before, you will see every shade there is. Usually leaning towards darker.
Obviously most Dominicans are dark and it because of their African ancestry. Hence why the overwhelming majority of Dominicans do not get sunburn and turn red after being out in the sun for too long.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
The definition of Mestizo does not include having African ancestry, so the majority of Dominicans do not qualify as Mestizos because most Dominicans have African ancestry.
Mestizo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obviously most Dominicans are dark and it because of their African ancestry. Hence why the overwhelming majority of Dominicans do not get sunburn and turn red after being out in the sun for too long.
You should've seen me last summer. I was on the sun 1 day, just 1 day and got so sunburned I coudln't walk the following day! I looked like a lobster! I was peeling for weeks.

I used the wrong term/word, sorry, not mestizo, I meant to say mulatto.
As you see: Mulatto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
73% of dominicans are mulattos, my apologies for the wrong word.

Last edited by gf1025; 06-03-2009 at 06:54 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 06:55 PM

14,748 posts, read 12,065,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
I'm an individual, not just a Hispanic. When you address me as a person, not just an ethnic group we can have a conversation. As an American doesn't it **** you off that ethnic profiling is considered OK? After all, aren't we all supposed to be part of this fabolus "melting pot"?
I believe in the melting pot, hence why generalizations, prejudice and ignorance is insulting to me.
That is rich coming from someone who is condoning the wholesale illegal invasion of this country.

And thank you for answering my question; clearly you favor their criminal actions. That was all you had to say.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That is rich coming from someone who is condoning the wholesale illegal invasion of this country.

And thank you for answering my question; clearly you favor their criminal actions. That was all you had to say.
I think YOU answered MY question. Apparently racial and ethnic profiling is alright by you. I told you I refuse to have a discussion with anyone who only looks at me as an ethnicity. Breaking ANY law is wrong. Now, you can stop putting me into a "catogory" as I am an individual first and foremost. The de-humanization of illegal immigrants just because they are illegal is not something I condone. Hence, no you won't get me to call them animals, advotace a "shoot on sight" law, or declare war on Mexico, like someone else suggested. Nor will I ever say that entering illegally is comparable to killing someone, for instance.

Last edited by gf1025; 06-03-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,113,434 times
Quote:
I think YOU answered MY question. Apparently racial and ethnic profiling is alright by you. I told you I resufe to have a discussion with anyone who only looks at me as an ethnicity. Breaking ANY law is wrong. Now, you can stop putting me into a "catogory" as I am an individual first and foremost. The de-humanization of illegal immigrants just because they are illegal is not something I condone. Hence, no you won't get me to call them animals, advotace a "shoot on sight" law, or declare war on Mexico, like someone else suggested. Nor will I ever say that entering illegally is comparable to killing someone, for instance.
I have no issue with profiling to catch probable lawbreakers............if it is done respectfully

Example: most Blacks here in the USA are citizens so profiling them looking for illegal aliens is not worth the effort.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 PM

47,586 posts, read 32,343,514 times
Quote:
Hence why we shouldn't paint all Hispanics with the same broad brush. After all we are first human. Then anything/everything else. As previously stated I'm proud to be both Hispanic and American.
And what seems to be generally true is that none of you want to stay in your own countries and make something of them. It's the easy money of the USA -- an English speaking country BTW -- that attracts most, not any desire to become an American or because you care about the Constitution or what it means to be an American.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,113,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
All the English speaking nations are First world countries (if that's what you mean by "anglo" which is only a term for racist idiots when referring to Americans.

You couldn't make it in a hispanic country obviously and now you want to come to an English speaking country and demand all that you couldn't do for yourselves back home.

As much as you obviously despise "anglos", it's a country built by "anglos" that you feel is where you can succeed.
You know that and I know that------------tell that to the failures from SoB who come here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration