U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:34 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
I'm an individual, not just a Hispanic. When you address me as a person, not just an ethnic group we can have a conversation. As an American doesn't it **** you off that ethnic profiling is considered OK? After all, aren't we all supposed to be part of this fabolus "melting pot"?
I believe in the melting pot, hence why generalizations, prejudice and ignorance is insulting to me.
In all honesty, this does not look to me like these individuals subscribe to the 'melting pot'.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
if this continues ANY longer we are ruined.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM

471 posts, read 855,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
In all honesty, this does not look like these individuals subscribe to the 'melting pot' concept to me.
My dear fellow poster, I'm not Mexican. I'm Hispanic from another country, not Mexico. Just because you see a group of Hispanic Mexicans with flags all over it doesn't mean it describes the Hispanic community. I'm also an American Citizen. When the generalizations stop, I'll respond further otherwise, please, again, don't make me waste my time.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:50 PM

25 posts, read 27,188 times
Quote:
My dear fellow poster, I'm not Mexican. I'm Hispanic from another country, not Mexico. Just because you see a group of Hispanic Mexicans with flags all over it doesn't mean it describes the Hispanic community. When the generalizations stop, I'll respond further otherwise, please, again don't make me waste my time.
Did you read those signs? I see entitlement here, as in "gimme, gimme."

Old 06-03-2009, 12:50 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
My dear fellow poster, I'm not Mexican. I'm Hispanic from another country, not Mexico. Just because you see a group of Hispanic Mexicans with flags all over it doesn't mean it describes the Hispanic community. When the generalizations stop, I'll respond further otherwise, please, again don't make me waste my time.
To hear the reconquista 'Mexicans' tell it---------all so-called Latinos are part of their raza.

Admittedly; the above ethnic-centric traitors tend to gag when dealing with Black or Nordic White Hispanics from the Dominican Republic, Argentina, etc.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
To hear the reconquista 'Mexicans' tell it---------all so-called Latinos are part of their raza.

Admittedly; the above ethnic-centric traitors tend to gag when dealing with Black or Nordic White Hispanics from the Dominican Republic, Argentina, etc.
Hence why we shouldn't paint all Hispanics with the same broad brush. After all we are first human. Then anything/everything else. As previously stated I'm proud to be both Hispanic and American.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:27 PM

709 posts, read 1,541,673 times
Quote:
Nordic White Hispanics from the Dominican Republic
I lived in New York for 11 years, a city which has the largest Dominican population outside of the Dominican Republic, and I have never seen a Dominican who looks like she or he came straight out of Scandinavia. Hell it is even rare to see a Dominican who could pass for Italian, let alone see a Dominican who looks Nordic. Somebody with blond hair and blue eyes sticks out like a sore thumb in a Dominican neighborhood like Washingtin Heights in the NYC.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
I lived in New York for 11 years, a city which has the largest Dominican population outside of the Dominican Republic, and I have never seen a Dominican who looks like she or he came straight out of Scandinavia. Hell it is even rare to see a Dominican who could pass for Italian, let alone see a Dominican who looks Nordic. Somebody with blond hair and blue eyes sticks out like a sore thumb in a Dominican neighborhood like Washingtin Heights in the NYC.
OK most Dominicans are mixed, we tend to be darker. However, like me, there are some who look more caucasian than some Europeans. Again, generalizing isn't good! Go to the north, Santiago in DR and tell me you don't see blond people, dark people, mixed ppl. DR is very mixed. Are Dominicans mostly dark? Yes. Are they all dark, no. Most of my family is a lovely mix of just about every shade/flavor and color there is.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:20 PM

709 posts, read 1,541,673 times
Quote:
Again, generalizing isn't good!
It is not generalizing to say that there are no Dominicans who look Nordic because the Dominican Republic does not have a history of attracting immigrants from countries with a very large Nordic population.

That is why you don't see Dominicans who look like this
http://img.atpictures.com/images2/pa...ur_5163884.jpg

Even South Africa has more Nordic looking people than the Dominican Republic because South Africa received alot of immigrants from countries like England and the Netherlands for example.

Last edited by John McClane; 06-03-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
You overlooked the word 'Argentina' in my post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or