Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times

Advertisements

So, it's ok as long as the sham mariage is between to innocent Americans, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
This ain't nothing new, but sad the great lengths people will go to for love.
I don't think it's about "love." It's about scamming the system to gain the right to remain in the USA.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
This been happening since the 80's, nothing new. I dont know why you are all surprised. One of my friends marry a girl just for the papers. She pay him 25.000 dollars and when she got the papers they got divorced. Well, after you get it you have to wait at least 2 years to get divorced. But after she got her papers they never saw each other again after those 2 years to fill the divorce. People do it ALL THE TIME. I dont see anything wrong with it .
Yes, this has been happening for many years. I posted this article due to its relevance to the topic of illegal immigration, not to imply it is a new phenomenon. In any case, the thread was dead, and I am not responsible for its resurrection.

With that said, I think you would sing a different tune if you were a victim. If you married someone, only to later discover it was a sham, regardless of motives, I don't believe you would say, "I don't see anything wrong with it." This is fraud and a humiliating betrayal. It speaks volumes that you condone it.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM

50,274 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
This been happening since the 80's, nothing new. I dont know why you are all surprised. One of my friends marry a girl just for the papers. She pay him 25.000 dollars and when she got the papers they got divorced. Well, after you get it you have to wait at least 2 years to get divorced. But after she got her papers they never saw each other again after those 2 years to fill the divorce. People do it ALL THE TIME. I dont see anything wrong with it.
Of course you don't. Wow.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAndBroke View Post
I know someone who went though this same thing she took him in divorce court for big bucks.poor guy nice fella just got so lonley he wanted to belive a russian woman was honestly in love he even gave money to her family.
I have little sympathy. Also, it has run the other way, where immigrants have married unknowns and wound up dead or trafficked......
A pretty careless idea, marrying someone you do not have the slightest knowledge of....
Bad things can happen even if you think you know someone, just read the newspapers but, this brings in more unsavory elements. JMO>

Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I don't think it's about "love." It's about scamming the system to gain the right to remain in the USA.
Meanwhile, committed relationships of many years between lifelong, upstanding American citizens cannot be sanctified by any legal bond, if they happen to be of the same sex. What's wrong with this picture? I can marry a Russian woman I've never met, fine, but I can't marry my same-sex partner of over 25 years.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is actually rather sad. If you’re single. . . . beware!

Former Agent Calls Sham Marriages 'Epidemic' - cbs4denver.com (http://cbs4denver.com/investigates/marriage.foreign.sham.2.1021765.html - broken link)

investigate the crime, if it happened then prosecute. if it didnt happen, then deport.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Meanwhile, committed relationships of many years between lifelong, upstanding American citizens cannot be sanctified by any legal bond, if they happen to be of the same sex. What's wrong with this picture? I can marry a Russian woman I've never met, fine, but I can't marry my same-sex partner of over 25 years.
Actually you would have had to met (and consummated at least after the marriage) for the male-female immigration sponsorship of a fiance(e)...

Some states do now allow same-sex marriages, but a same-sex relationship, no matter that it is recognized in your locale, cannot be used to sponsor someone for immigration purposes...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Actually you would have had to met (and consummated at least after the marriage) for the male-female immigration sponsorship of a fiance(e)...

Some states do now allow same-sex marriages, but a same-sex relationship, no matter that it is recognized in your locale, cannot be used to sponsor someone for immigration purposes...
And how do you prove the consummation? You don't.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And how do you prove the consummation? You don't.
But you are sure going to be asked about it...

And that isn't even in a "Stokes Interview"...

For those that want to talk about incorporating more "diversity" into immigration, how about allowing for same-sex sponsorship?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration