U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,583,030 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

Quote:
The economy's downturn has made finding work for day laborers that much more difficult as contractors throughout the borough tighten their belts. NY1's Ruschell Boone filed the following report.
Waaaah! How will these trespassers be capable of supporting themselves in a country they've entered illegally/overstayed their visa(s) in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,774,839 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Uhmm, it's a good time to build a pool, or an add on to your house. It will help this people find work, and you get it done cheap. Everyone wins.
Asa standard rule, you get what you pay for. Cheap =sub-standard in the construction game.
Illegals excell at doing short cut, shoddy, won't pass inspection, work.

Build a pool, add on to your house with "cheap" labor at your own peril. "Fly by Night Inc." should be the name of most of these guys. Read em and weep is thier motto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,394 times
Reputation: 135
Makes me smile. Let'm hurry home now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 07:07 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,820 posts, read 30,068,682 times
Reputation: 17698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Uhmm, it's a good time to build a pool, or an add on to your house. It will help this people find work, and you get it done cheap. Everyone wins.
Don't forget building code permits. If someone builds on to their house illegally and gets caught they will be fined and forced to tear the new construction out.
That would include a pool.

Besides hauling junk or mowing your grass there isn't much legally you could hire a day laborer to do. If you have them slinging a hammer the work is not up to code and you are setting yourself up for a serious head ache with the City.

Selling your home without these permits will set you way back compared to your neighbors house for sale at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,357 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Uhmm, it's a good time to build a pool, or an add on to your house. It will help this people find work, and you get it done cheap. Everyone wins.

Cool.. Now when I call ICE I can tell them exactly where to go..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,175,422 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Don't forget building code permits. If someone builds on to their house illegally and gets caught they will be fined and forced to tear the new construction out.
That would include a pool.

Besides hauling junk or mowing your grass there isn't much legally you could hire a day laborer to do. If you have them slinging a hammer the work is not up to code and you are setting yourself up for a serious head ache with the City.

Selling your home without these permits will set you way back compared to your neighbors house for sale at the same time.
This is very true, but this is a fixed cost. No mater what you are building, you still have to hire an architect to design your pool, a civil eng to make sure everything is legal, and I would not expect to hire either at a day laborer center.

But the guys who dig the ditch, or unload the truck at the disposal facility. I don't think they will need much other than the physical ability to do it.


Like you say, other projects may lend themselves easier to using day laborers. Adding an inside wall (to separate a room or something ), cleaning up your garage, moving ( this has been really awesome, since I reverted to student not to long ago), act as your assistant when working on your car.

I would not hire them for something that would require of them to have specific knowledge of a topic. I would hire them mostly as a set of helping hands.

Benicar, you are in I.T. right? Some of them know how to program, and the do it moderately well in average. They tend to come in really handy when doing house projects and tinkering. I have used them several times when I have something simple yet time-consuming to program or debug. I also hire 3/4 year college students, but their availability is really low specially when school is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
This is very true, but this is a fixed cost. No mater what you are building, you still have to hire an architect to design your pool, a civil eng to make sure everything is legal, and I would not expect to hire either at a day laborer center.

But the guys who dig the ditch, or unload the truck at the disposal facility. I don't think they will need much other than the physical ability to do it.


Like you say, other projects may lend themselves easier to using day laborers. Adding an inside wall (to separate a room or something ), cleaning up your garage, moving ( this has been really awesome, since I reverted to student not to long ago), act as your assistant when working on your car.

I would not hire them for something that would require of them to have specific knowledge of a topic. I would hire them mostly as a set of helping hands.

Benicar, you are in I.T. right? Some of them know how to program, and the do it moderately well in average. They tend to come in really handy when doing house projects and tinkering. I have used them several times when I have something simple yet time-consuming to program or debug. I also hire 3/4 year college students, but their availability is really low specially when school is going on.
First Iím a teacher, now Iím IT. No, I am not. I donít know what on earth could have given you that impression. Sorry, but you couldnít afford to hire me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,175,422 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
First Iím a teacher, now Iím IT. No, I am not. I donít know what on earth could have given you that impression. Sorry, but you couldnít afford to hire me.
I probably wouldn't want to hire you, you would likely alienate my other programers. But that's not what I meant.

I mean, when I was in I.T., and even now, I would have several projects of my own, or help out with open source projects from sourceforge. So I would design some piece of software and then hire a few people for a few days to do the actual coding, or debugging. Usually a mix of college students/ IA whose background is appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 05:27 PM
 
8,640 posts, read 7,735,931 times
Reputation: 2854
I'm really starting to love this recession!



and to those looking for a working slave class in America, shame on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 05:32 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,180 times
Reputation: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Unlike you, most of us don't want "these people" to find work. We want AMERICANS out of work to find work.

I could care less whether the criminals find work or not.
Exactly. If the illegals all went back, our citizens who cannot feed their families who belong here, would be able to work. Our unemployment would go down and everybody would be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top