U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,881,666 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Now, for the traffic violation, if there was a device on your car that said that you have gone over the speed limit in your last trip (verification of being here illegally) and could only be read when you get stopped. Would you, or would you not be more careful about not being stopped? After all, not there is an added "motivation" for you not to get stopped.

I think this could be extrapolated to being here illegally, the punishment for running a light might have deportation added to it. So i would think that the individual would drive more carefully.

I think the highlighted area is very true, and they tend to escalate as well. But I think in this case, the not being caught part overpowers the tendency to break laws.

Another traffic example, I tend to drive much faster once it has been more than one year since I took my last driving course. Because i know i can dismiss a ticket. So, as the penalty of driving faster diminishes, my likeliness to drive faster increases.
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,784,423 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
What?
Huh????? Ditto that Benicar. That last post makes little or no sence. How does "driving faster" relate to illegal immigrant (not undocumented, cause that would make you ILLEGAL) drivers licences?????

I must be missing something here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,751,726 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Huh????? Ditto that Benicar. That last post makes little or no sence. How does "driving faster" relate to illegal immigrant (not undocumented, cause that would make you ILLEGAL) drivers licences?????

I must be missing something here.
Textbook example of arrogance there: that us illegals can get away with more. Sarcasm here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,075 posts, read 1,784,423 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Now, for the traffic violation, if there was a device on your car that said that you have gone over the speed limit in your last trip (verification of being here illegally) and could only be read when you get stopped. Would you, or would you not be more careful about not being stopped? After all, not there is an added "motivation" for you not to get stopped.

I think this could be extrapolated to being here illegally, the punishment for running a light might have deportation added to it. So i would think that the individual would drive more carefully.

I think the highlighted area is very true, and they tend to escalate as well. But I think in this case, the not being caught part overpowers the tendency to break laws.

Another traffic example, I tend to drive much faster once it has been more than one year since I took my last driving course. Because i know i can dismiss a ticket. So, as the penalty of driving faster diminishes, my likeliness to drive faster increases.
Let me try this again. If you had a speed meter that showed you were illegal, and you got stopped for speeding, you would be motivated to be careful , right???

Running a red light could get you deported (how about DUI, or Felony hit and run) so. you should avoid that. OK I follow that, but, now Im starting to get confused.

How does all this tie in with " I tend to drive faster once it has been a year since my last driving course" because I can dismiss a ticket. So. you are driving faster, because the penalty is less.

Am I missing something, or , have I just gone mad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,179,149 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Let me try this again. If you had a speed meter that showed you were illegal, and you got stopped for speeding, you would be motivated to be careful , right???

Running a red light could get you deported (how about DUI, or Felony hit and run) so. you should avoid that. OK I follow that, but, now Im starting to get confused.

How does all this tie in with " I tend to drive faster once it has been a year since my last driving course" because I can dismiss a ticket. So. you are driving faster, because the penalty is less.

Am I missing something, or , have I just gone mad?
You are correct.

In Texas, you can take a driving course ( I think it's called Defensive Driving or something like that ) in order to dismiss a ticket. If you do this, you no longer have to pay the ticket, and it does not get noted in your record. (So insurance rates do not go up, and you don't get points in your license )

Now, you can only take the driving course once a year. If you have a second ticket, then you are not eligible to dismiss it using the course. You have to pay the ticket, it goes in your record, and when you go to renew your insurance the cost increases due to your new ticket.

So, the point that I was trying to make is that since the punishment is higher for the second+ ticket. I am more careful not to drive past the speed limit when I have already had a ticket within the last year.


***As a side note, I have driven a sports car since I was 18 or so. And even sometimes I am going at the same speed as the minivan right next to me, I am the one getting pulled over. In east Texas I even get pulled over just for the hell of it, even when the equipment on my car has detected the cop half a mile away and I have been extra careful not to do anything illegal.

So, I guess, this is an example that is strongly based in my experience. I probably should have explained how the system works in Texas in one of my earlier posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,881,666 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
You are correct.

In Texas, you can take a driving course ( I think it's called Defensive Driving or something like that ) in order to dismiss a ticket. If you do this, you no longer have to pay the ticket, and it does not get noted in your record. (So insurance rates do not go up, and you don't get points in your license )

Now, you can only take the driving course once a year. If you have a second ticket, then you are not eligible to dismiss it using the course. You have to pay the ticket, it goes in your record, and when you go to renew your insurance the cost increases due to your new ticket.

So, the point that I was trying to make is that since the punishment is higher for the second+ ticket. I am more careful not to drive past the speed limit when I have already had a ticket within the last year.


***As a side note, I have driven a sports car since I was 18 or so. And even sometimes I am going at the same speed as the minivan right next to me, I am the one getting pulled over. In east Texas I even get pulled over just for the hell of it, even when the equipment on my car has detected the cop half a mile away and I have been extra careful not to do anything illegal.

So, I guess, this is an example that is strongly based in my experience. I probably should have explained how the system works in Texas in one of my earlier posts.
Are you sure you weren’t exceeding the speed limit? I’m asking because I drove a Corvette for 16 years and never received as much as a warning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,179,149 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are you sure you weren’t exceeding the speed limit? I’m asking because I drove a Corvette for 16 years and never received as much as a warning.
Unless my speedometer clocks the wrong speed. But I have had interactions that have gone:

-Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
-Me: No.
-O: You were going over the speed limit.
-M: I was not, I was going at the speed limit, did you clock me?
**officer takes my license, goes back to his car, comes back a few mins later and lets me go.

From time to time I would have a cop test my windows to make sure my tint as not over the limit, and, a lot less likely but has happened, I would have someone ask me if I have removed the catalysts of my car.

This doesn't happen nearly as often in big cities as it does when you are driving through a small town.

I remember when I was in Arizona near Phoenix, in Paradise Valley. I busted my clutch while racing, and as I was driving on my way back home I was having to match the engine speed to the transmission manually, so I was driving under the speed limit. I got pulled over and got my only ticket for driving too slow. But the cop didn't even bother to show up to court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,836,607 times
Reputation: 4539
Kellem, this is funny. I'm not sure that you've answered the question of how it relates to criminal alien driver's licenses.

The point is that, if they do get pulled over, they are NOT being taken away and deported. They simply receive their tickets and are sent on their merry little criminal way.

On a side note, if you were really from Texas, you'd know of something called deferred disposition. You can do that in addition to driver's safety classes to have tickets dismissed. So, more than one a year can be dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,179,149 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Kellem, this is funny. I'm not sure that you've answered the question of how it relates to criminal alien driver's licenses.

The point is that, if they do get pulled over, they are NOT being taken away and deported. They simply receive their tickets and are sent on their merry little criminal way.

On a side note, if you were really from Texas, you'd know of something called deferred disposition. You can do that in addition to driver's safety classes to have tickets dismissed. So, more than one a year can be dismissed.
I know, but then you have to go into probation and if you get ticketed for everything both get put in. To tell you the truth, I have never had more than 2 tickets in a year. I am sure if I would get a ticket that would merit going through the trouble I would. I have generally just paid for the second one. (Maybe I shouldn't have, and looked more into it )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 13,836,607 times
Reputation: 4539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I know, but then you have to go into probation and if you get ticketed for everything both get put in. To tell you the truth, I have never had more than 2 tickets in a year. I am sure if I would get a ticket that would merit going through the trouble I would. I have generally just paid for the second one. (Maybe I shouldn't have, and looked more into it )
Funny how you didn't respond to the first two paragraphs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top