U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Passage of the DREAMAct?
Yes, they were brought here are innocent children 37 24.03%
No, they are nothing more than the 2nd generation of illegal alien criminals 117 75.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:29 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,390,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
Did anyone else hear or read something about people wanting the military service part of the bill taken out? If I remember correctly, two years of military service would also get them citizenship yet they were opposed to this. My brother and I were both born in Mexico and moved here when we were 4 and 6 years old respectively. When we were both 19 years old we enlisted in the Marine Corps, he served 5 years and received an honorable discharge and I just hit my 4 year mark. So why do the supporters of the Dream act not want a military option written into the act?
Thank you for your service in the USMC. Your love for this country shows the reality of why you should be a legal citizen. How does it make you feel when others think they should be given that honor without taking the necessary steps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 PM

233 posts, read 390,558 times
Fisrt of all Its is "Absolutely not!" the same thing ignorant how can an innocent infant, child, or teenagers make a decision against their parents. Yes the parents are guilty i do not argue that, but why should a child who did not even know that a law forbiding them to come here existed be punished. A "robber" knowingly steals. Unlike a thief stealing these INNOCENT people did not know what they were doing they had no other choice. What choices did you make when you were in diapers?? Thats what i thought!!! And as for them "STEALING" your jobs, money, and living space??? WHAT?? If an illegal immagrant got the job you wanted its obviosly because they were better than you!! DAH and your money WHAT??HOW??And its not stolen money if they are working for it and earn it..Just like you do... And if they can afford, and are paying for their living space how in the hell is that stealing from you?? Think your statement through before opening your mouth and following other ignorant people[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if as you say these children are not the ones at fault then how about this.........if they are over 18 and have spent the majority of their life and schooling here, they get to do 5 years of military service (no optioning out of this, it's military service or nothing), the parents are automatically deported and this "new" legal child of theirs is NOT allowed to sponsor them or any other family members for immigration to this country for their life span. As for kids under 18, well sorry but they should be deported with their illegal parents, they will after all have their parents with them to help with the culture shock of returning to where they rightfully belong. If as a parent my thought was the better life for my child when I jumped the border I would be willing to give up staying here for the betterment of my childs life and his oppurtunities, but I really feel these people only use these kids as a means to the ends that they want for themselves.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 PM

78 posts, read 60,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Thank you for your service in the USMC. Your love for this country shows the reality of why you should be a legal citizen. How does it make you feel when others think they should be given that honor without taking the necessary steps?
You know what, even though I can relate to their situation because I went through it personally, it really got under my skin when I heard about this. It's not like the bill would have called for a mandatory term of service, it was merely another option for those that wanted citizenship.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 AM

17,286 posts, read 25,030,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3531 View Post
You know what, even though I can relate to their situation because I went through it personally, it really got under my skin when I heard about this. It's not like the bill would have called for a mandatory term of service, it was merely another option for those that wanted citizenship.

The military service thing I am ok with. It shows committment to the United States. Though I would favor a longer committment of four years, which is typical for Americans who want college benefits from service.

The other part.... TWO YEARS of college and you get to become a citizen? Absolutely unacceptable. Where half of them will go to college in the SW USA and learn about how America stole ancestral lands? How does that show committment and loyalty to the United States? How does that help AMERICA and AMERICANS (you know, the ones our politicians are SUPPOSED to be working for?!)

And THEN, as an added bonus, as a new citizen, they get to sponsor the very people who brought them here illegally in the first place!

Might as well scrap immigration laws altogether. All you gotta do if you want to skip in line is come here with your teenage child before 16, wait a couple years, send them off to college on the American tax payer dime, and then you'll get sponsorship.

My father is an immigrant, and I am first generation on that side of the family. I don't have any ethnic sympathy for anyone from my "ancestral homeland" who might be here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or