U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Passage of the DREAMAct?
Yes, they were brought here are innocent children 37 24.03%
No, they are nothing more than the 2nd generation of illegal alien criminals 117 75.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 AM

1,150 posts, read 990,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
These people can only think about the short term, not the long term benefit of letting these kids get educated and staying in the US.

They talk about "importing illiterate people and drop outs", yet they don't want them educated either.
I guess I'd be frustrated too if an illegal immigrant with more obstacles outdid me in education.
Just what do they hope to do with these college educations? It's against the law to hire an illegal alien, so in order to benefit from higher education, they must return to their countries of origin anyway. Why do we need to subsidize education for people who can't legally work in this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 AM

1,150 posts, read 990,683 times
i was wondering if it is possible to change your immigration status through marriage if you are already illegal and had a deportation letter...or a warrant?

Short answer----No. You'd have to return to your country of origin, and apply to enter the US legally. If you failed to abide by the order of deportation, chances are you wouldn't be allowed to reenter the country legally. Even if you're in the country legally, and get married, you must remain married for at least two years, and have proof of cohabitation, and shared finacial interests, at which time you can apply for citizenship.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:59 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Just what do they hope to do with these college educations? It's against the law to hire an illegal alien, so in order to benefit from higher education, they must return to their countries of origin anyway. Why do we need to subsidize education for people who can't legally work in this country?
That’s an excellent question. You see, with the passage of the DREAM Act they would grant amnesty to these “students.” Thus, once they complete their education, they would be in competition with other citizens for whatever jobs may be available.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 PM

3,194 posts, read 2,864,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s an excellent question. You see, with the passage of the DREAM Act they would grant amnesty to these “students.” Thus, once they complete their education, they would be in competition with other citizens for whatever jobs may be available.
We have enough home grown American competition for the few jobs left in America. We need to rid ourselves of this added burden and send them home where there are far more American jobs available.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:24 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
We have enough home grown American competition for the few jobs left in America. We need to rid ourselves of this added burden and send them home where there are far more American jobs available.
In light of the fact that they have received in-state tuition (and in some instances scholarships) from numerous states within the US, we have equipped them with a quality education and the ability to go home, create jobs and make their respective countries a better place to live their "DREAM". We do not need to be inundated with a multitude of foreigners looking for jobs when we don't have jobs for our own people. If another amnesty is passed, the next generation of American children will also be victimized by the democrats and their obsessive greed for power and in pursuit of the continuation of the dumbing down of America.
Quote:
05-09-2009, 03:10 AM
iceman_32

Craziest thing... For me at least.
Ok.... It was about 1030 pm PST.. I was driving home and then I look down the road and I see stopped cars infront of me. I was thinking to myself "Ohhh that's prolly nothing" so I ignored my thoughts and just continued on with the traffic. I rolled down my window and I see cones narrowing down each lanes. Sure enough it was a checkpoint. Now I dont have a DL but I do have a International Driver's License. Which I consider pointless but I still carry it around. Anywho... I started to get nervous. I couldnt turn back because there were cars behind me. So I really started to worry. I thought about... OHHHH man... "I cant go back to my homeland... I have school and my friends and my family. All this things that I have in my life". So it was my turn... I looked at the cop eye to eye.. He said "Driver's License please" so I grabbed my IDL outta my wallet. Looked for my valid Passport on the glove compartment. While I was trying to look for it.. cop said " It's ok just give me your License". right there and then... I was really nervous. So I gave it to him.. He looked at it for a good 2 minutes. Examined the front and the back of the license.. Gave it back to me then said "Drive Safely". It was such a sigh of relief. I began thanking God.. liked a billion times (LITERALLY). The cop was super nice, he could have asked a bunch of question but he let me go with just saying 2 words that could have been a hundred unpleasant words that no Dreamers should hear.

This was such a terrifying night. Yes, I was lucky, Yes, I should not drive coz I'm illegal, Yes, I know I'm an idiot. All said and done... Avoid driving late nights on weekends or I suggest you don't drive at all. I've had my experiences on the road and I tell you just try and avoid driving if your undocumented.. I'm still in awe at this very moment because this is my 1st encountering the law enforcement.
Quote:
What happens if I use the ITIN instead of SSN? If I am applying for a job online or in person, what happens if I use my ITIN in place of the social security field?

Also, if I do that just for the sake of the application, can I use the ITIN as if it were a social security for taxes deductions on the paycheck?

In other words, will the employer know and will it make any difference?

Summer is here and I really need a job but the place where I live pretty much requires a social by default. I really don't want to take a manual labor type of job, which is the only ones that don't look into it.

Thanks everyone!!!
Do either of them sound like someone who should be granted citizenship? Not only are they criminals but they are dumb criminals attending our colleges and university at lower rates than American citizens.

Question: Does anyone know what the hell an "encountering" is?

Last edited by JDubsMom; 05-31-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 PM

223 posts, read 253,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Do we? Then how do you feel about how we're importing educated foreigners all the time from Asia(Taiwan, India, Japan) to do high end jobs here?

How do you feel about all the foreign students getting educated here, and then taking that education back home instead of putting their skills to good use here, like the "DREAMIES" want to?

Old 05-31-2009, 03:10 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Do we? Then how do you feel about how we're importing educated foreigners all the time from Asia(Taiwan, India, Japan) to do high end jobs here?

How do you feel about all the foreign students getting educated here, and then taking that education back home instead of putting their skills to good use here, like the "DREAMIES" want to?
Apples and oranges.

The former group of students that you mentioned are here legally--------------unlike those DREAMie criminals.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Apples and oranges.

The former group of students that you mentioned are here legally--------------unlike those DREAMie criminals.
How's that apple and oranges when the discussion is about whether or not we need more competition for skilled work?

I think this one's over your head.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:50 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
How's that apple and oranges when the discussion is about whether or not we need more competition for skilled work?

I think this one's over your head.
So you resort to (barely) veiled personal attacks when called out?

Bottom line: we do not need those DREAMie criminal losers here in the USA. They need to be in a jail cell prior to their deportation.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
So you resort to (barely) veiled personal attacks when called out?

Bottom line: we do not need those DREAMie criminal losers here in the USA. They need to be in a jail cell prior to their deportation.
The FACT that what was being discussed went over your head is hardly a personal attack. And even it was, it wasn't being "veiled" as I flat out said it went over your head.

And making an irrelevant comment is hardly "calling out".

Let it go.

And to call someone who was brought to this country as a child, and hopes to gain an education a "loser" is arrogant and egotistic, at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or