U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

I guess they are also racists, xenophobes, nativists, and anti-Mexican.

You Don't Speak for Me (http://www.dontspeakforme.org/testimonials.html - broken link)

 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17682
This is enough to make one furious... read:

I also know that American families are at a fundamental disadvantage to apply for the same benefits that are given freely to illegal immigrants. Of course, to qualify for these social benefits applicants need to verify and show proof of income. For American families, their social security cards can give us the information we need. For illegal immigrants, we have to take their word for it ---literally. And, even though they cannot prove citizenship, or income, since we have no way of DIS-proving anything they choose to tell us, they are awarded benefits.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
 
223 posts, read 253,980 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I guess they are also racists, xenophobes, nativists, and anti-Mexican.

You Don't Speak for Me (http://www.dontspeakforme.org/testimonials.html - broken link)
Well, seeing as how a Hispanic can be just as American as a White or Black person, sure they can be xenophobes and nativists. Why could they not be because they're Hispanic? They're not outsiders or anything...

And seeing as how all three of the testimonials come from a Puerto Rican, Ecuadoran, and a Peruvian, I'm sure it's possible to be anti-Mexican.

I mean, the first one even claims that students are learning about "Mexican history" like Pancho Villa instead of George Washington? What school is that?

Somebody brought this up already in another thread, so I don't see why it's necessary to make a whole other thread for it. There has always been Hispanics who are on the anti-Mexican illegal side. ..Hispanics are people that all don't think alike!..

This is a PR stunt, and I wonder who really started it. I don't like it when anti-illegals want to flaunt the race/ethnicity of some of their members/comrades.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Well, seeing as how a Hispanic can be just as American as a White or Black person, sure they can be xenophobes and nativists. Why could they not be because they're Hispanic? They're not outsiders or anything...

And seeing as how all three of the testimonials come from a Puerto Rican, Ecuadoran, and a Peruvian, I'm sure it's possible to be anti-Mexican.

I mean, the first one even claims that students are learning about "Mexican history" like Pancho Villa instead of George Washington? What school is that?

Somebody brought this up already in another thread, so I don't see why it's necessary to make a whole other thread for it. There has always been Hispanics who are on the anti-Mexican illegal side. ..Hispanics are people that all don't think alike!..

This is a PR stunt, and I wonder who really started it. I don't like it when anti-illegals want to flaunt the race/ethnicity of some of their members/comrades.
Wow, did this touch a nerve! I wonder why?

Why does it have to be a “PR stunt” for Hispanic-Americans to express their opposition to illegal immigration?
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
 
223 posts, read 253,980 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Wow, did this touch a nerve! I wonder why?

Why does it have to be a “PR stunt” for Hispanic-Americans to express their opposition to illegal immigration?
It didn't touch a nerve, I'm just saying.
And it's not a PR stunt when Hispanics express opposition to illegal immigration.
It becomes a PR stunt when they express their opposition to illegal immigration, but while having to wear a sign on their forehead that says
"I'M HISPANIC".

Call me a skeptic, but I wonder who approached them with this idea. It reminds me of the Minuteman Project and how they flaunt their few Latino and Black members.
While at the same time, at their rallies and marches and what not, the Anti-illegal Mexicans manipulate images, and try to give the impression that the pro-reform people are purely Latino. All Hispanics, all with one political view, attitude toward US, and hateful. When in reality, it's a somewhat chaotic mix of people with various causes, united over a common goal.

Playing up the diversity of their crowd, while playing down the diversity of the other side.

In effect, it helps their accusations of the other side being "racist, ethnocentrists, La Raza" etc, while making themselves appear genuine,warm, diverse and not full of trailer trash.

It's actually pretty genius PR, and I give them credit for it. The greater anti-Mexican illegal/immigrant movement that is. This particular project, not so much.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:18 PM
 
223 posts, read 253,980 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Please explain why so many Mexican-Americans specifically are against illegal aliens.
Uh..because they're Americans, just like "normal" Americans, and have a freedom to think whatever they want?
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
It didn't touch a nerve, I'm just saying.
And it's not a PR stunt when Hispanics express opposition to illegal immigration.
It becomes a PR stunt when they express their opposition to illegal immigration, but while having to wear a sign on their forehead that says
"I'M HISPANIC".

Call me a skeptic, but I wonder who approached them with this idea. It reminds me of the Minuteman Project and how they flaunt their few Latino and Black members.
While at the same time, at their rallies and marches and what not, the Anti-illegal Mexicans manipulate images, and try to give the impression that the pro-reform people are purely Latino. All Hispanics, all with one political view, attitude toward US, and hateful. When in reality, it's a somewhat chaotic mix of people with various causes, united over a common goal.

Playing up the diversity of their crowd, while playing down the diversity of the other side.

In effect, it helps their accusations of the other side being "racist, ethnocentrists, La Raza" etc, while making themselves appear genuine,warm, diverse and not full of trailer trash.

It's actually pretty genius PR, and I give them credit for it. The greater anti-Mexican illegal/immigrant movement that is. This particular project, not so much.
I don’t believe these folks were coerced or tricked into expressing their opinions. They are simply a small sampling of the millions of anti-illegal Hispanic-Americans. We have anti-illegal Hispanics as regular members of this forum. Are you suggesting C-D has somehow forced them to join? I really don’t understand your rage.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 PM
 
223 posts, read 253,980 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t believe these folks were coerced or tricked into expressing their opinions. They are simply a small sampling of the millions of anti-illegal Hispanic-Americans. We have anti-illegal Hispanics as regular members of this forum. Are you suggesting C-D has somehow forced them to join? I really don’t understand your rage.
Rage? Being dramatic, aren't we?

I didn't say they were coerced or tricked into expressing their opinions. I'm sure they hate illegals as much as the next guy, with the same feet stomping anger.

I'm saying, I wonder who approached them to emphasize their ethnicity. It's beautiful PR.

To me, it's just horribly transparent. I thought this wasn't supposed to be a race issue, it was supposed to be about opposing views on how to handle immigration. Or the way you guys like to put it, anti-illegal vs. pro-illegal.

And here we have this group that is essentially made to separate the "good" Hispanics, vs. the "bad" Hispanics.

I'm tired of all this talk about "racism" "la raza conspiracies" "reconquista".
It's just emotional and dramatic drivel.

Why can't it just be acknowledged that people of all races are on both sides of the fence?
I guess it just doesn't make it dramatic enough, like saying there is a group in our country that wants to take over, and they're all racist(whatever race that is), and are completely opposed to everything good about America.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Rage? Being dramatic, aren't we?

I didn't say they were coerced or tricked into expressing their opinions. I'm sure they hate illegals as much as the next guy, with the same feet stomping anger.

I'm saying, I wonder who approached them to emphasize their ethnicity. It's beautiful PR.

To me, it's just horribly transparent. I thought this wasn't supposed to be a race issue, it was supposed to be about opposing views on how to handle immigration. Or the way you guys like to put it, anti-illegal vs. pro-illegal.

And here we have this group that is essentially made to separate the "good" Hispanics, vs. the "bad" Hispanics.

I'm tired of all this talk about "racism" "la raza conspiracies" "reconquista".
It's just emotional and dramatic drivel.

Why can't it just be acknowledged that people of all races are on both sides of the fence?
I guess it just doesn't make it dramatic enough, like saying there is a group in our country that wants to take over, and they're all racist(whatever race that is), and are completely opposed to everything good about America.
No one is “flaunting” their race/ethnicity. As a matter of fact, race wouldn’t even be a factor if not for pro-illegals deliberately injecting it into the illegal immigration debate.
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:50 PM
 
223 posts, read 253,980 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No one is “flaunting” their race/ethnicity. As a matter of fact, race wouldn’t even be a factor if not for pro-illegals deliberately injecting it into the illegal immigration debate.
What do you think came first? The anti-Hispanic rhetoric in the immigration discussion, or the Hispanics getting offended by that rhetoric and getting involved?

Tell me a real answer from yourself, not something being passed down the chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top