U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2009, 06:17 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,050,532 times
Reputation: 2878

Advertisements

Truthfully, it is all in the numbers. A couple hundred thousand illegal immigrants of any nationality would not be a problem - they would be absorbed, and most likely would want to be absorbed.
Twenty million however - well, that is a different story. Especially if they meld ethnic pride with ethnic isolationism and combine that with a touch of ethnic lobbying - the result is divisive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2009, 06:24 PM
 
223 posts, read 254,501 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I shop and spend time with korean, indian and sudanese immigrants. They speak English to one degree or another, except for one halmoni - but as I have said many times in the past, it is all about the effort to learn. And lets face it, some people (particularily the elderly) are just never going to learn. And thats OK, as the majority do make the attempt.
Generalizing. That's all I got to say about that. I don't just know the friendly Korean at the market who speaks English. I actually go through their neighborhoods pretty frequently.

Many do learn English, but you dismiss the MANY Hispanics who learn English as well. It's a biased view based on selective hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 PM
 
709 posts, read 1,544,270 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Truthfully, it is all in the numbers. A couple hundred thousand illegal immigrants of any nationality would not be a problem - they would be absorbed, and most likely would want to be absorbed.
Twenty million however - well, that is a different story. Especially if they meld ethnic pride with ethnic isolationism and combine that with a touch of ethnic lobbying - the result is divisive
You would think that it would be easy for Mexicans immigrants to assimilate into a Western nation like the United States, because Mexicans come from a country that speak a European language and who's dominant religion is Christianity. Yet that is not the case because the situation with Mexican immigrants in the U.S is extremely similar to the situation with Arab Muslims in Europe.

Atleast I can understand why Arab Muslims in Europe are not assimilating because they come from countries that do not speak a European language and do not practice Christianity.

Last edited by John McClane; 05-31-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,501,676 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it probably would be slightly less disruptive if they were from a country where english was the primary language.
in any case, our country's job base cannot afford to absorb this influx of unskilled labor.
This.

I initiated the discussion in the Legal Immigration forum. Essentially the OP is intending to argue that Latinos are inherently more troublesome than Chinese. This is just one more in a long line of race baiting threads he has opened.

No society can take in a large influx of uneducated, unskilled labour from anywhere. Look at America with Latins, or Europe with, Asians, Arabs, and to a lesser extent, Africans. Even look at South Korea with North Korea. They're all Korean, but one huge border to reunification would be trying to absorb the millions of uneducated North Koreans into the South's social and economic system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:04 PM
 
223 posts, read 254,501 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
You would think that it would be easy for Mexicans immigrants to assimilate into a Western nation like the United States, because Mexicans come from a country that speak a European language and who's dominant religion is Christianity. Yet that is not the case because the situation with Mexican immigrants in the U.S is extremely similar to the situation with Arab Muslims in Europe.

Atleast I can understand why Arab Muslims in Europe are not assimilating because they come from countries that do not speak a European language and do not practice Christianity.
In what ways..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,050,532 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Generalizing. That's all I got to say about that. I don't just know the friendly Korean at the market who speaks English. I actually go through their neighborhoods pretty frequently.

Many do learn English, but you dismiss the MANY Hispanics who learn English as well. It's a biased view based on selective hearing.
The day I see Hangul and English on every sign at Home Depot is the day you may have a point.

If spanish speaking immigrants are learning english at the same rate as other non english speaking immigrants, then why all the concessions to their language?
If it is not the 'generalization' that they are not learning english, maybe it is the lobbying done on their behalf by their ethnocentric advocacy groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The day I see Hangul and English on every sign at Home Depot is the day you may have a point.

If spanish speaking immigrants are learning english at the same rate as other non english speaking immigrants, then why all the concessions to their language?
If it is not the 'generalization' that they are not learning english, maybe it is the lobbying done on their behalf by their ethnocentric advocacy groups?
As you stated

If anything; posting Spanish signage in mainstream stores and especially on voters' ballots is a slap in the face to legal Hispanic immigrants who are trying to assimilate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 PM
 
223 posts, read 254,501 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The day I see Hangul and English on every sign at Home Depot is the day you may have a point.

If spanish speaking immigrants are learning english at the same rate as other non english speaking immigrants, then why all the concessions to their language?
If it is not the 'generalization' that they are not learning english, maybe it is the lobbying done on their behalf by their ethnocentric advocacy groups?
The day Koreatowns stop looking like this:




and Chinatowns stop looking like this



is the day you may have a point.


The fact is, there is a huge number of Hispanic immigrants in this country. MANY learn English, some don't right away.

Same with Asian immigrants. However the Hispanic immigrants are more visible, so you're going to see a lot of both.

With that said, businesses have a better shot by marketing to the many new-arrival Hispanic immigrants who either only speak Spanish, or feel much more comfortable in Spanish, than they do marketing to Asians. People from most Hispanic countries speak Spanish. People from Asian countries speak many different languages and many different dialects.
You find the logic in that.

Either way, the way you feel is based on selective hearing. It's weird how many of you like to tout other races/ethic groups against the Hispanics. It's not a competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 89,238,968 times
Reputation: 30265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Would the impact they have on America be any different?
The only difference I can think of is language. All other immigrants learn the English language and eventually assimilate into society. Mexican immigrants feel they have a right to retain Spanish without learning English and assimulating. As a result, they are changing our culture, not just adding flavor to the melting pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM
 
223 posts, read 254,501 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The only difference I can think of is language. All other immigrants learn the English language and eventually assimilate into society. Mexican immigrants feel they have a right to retain Spanish without learning English and assimulating. As a result, they are changing our culture, not just adding flavor to the melting pot.
Yeah, history definitely backs up your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top