U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
 
223 posts, read 254,105 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated

If anything; posting Spanish signage in mainstream stores and especially on voters' ballots is a slap in the face to legal Hispanic immigrants who are trying to assimilate.
Says you, who is neither a Hispanic or a legal immigrant. But I'm sure most would see it as less of a "slap in the face" than a consideration. Even the English-speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
Says you, who is neither a Hispanic or a legal immigrant. But I'm sure most would see it as less of a "slap in the face" than a consideration. Even the English-speakers.
My father is an legal immigrant to the USA-----------suffice to say; he learned English damn quick.

The difference was that he could not return home so the incentive to assimilate was quite strong-------------unlike at least Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 PM
 
223 posts, read 254,105 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My father is an legal immigrant to the USA-----------suffice to say; he learned English damn quick.

The difference was that he could not return home so the incentive to assimilate was quite strong-------------unlike at least Mexicans.
That's one story. And for any story of your immigrant relatives learning English, I can counter with one of a Hispanic immigrant learning English. WITHOUT the needed pressure of being across seas.

And?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
That's one story. And for any story of your immigrant relatives learning English, I can counter with one of a Hispanic immigrant learning English. WITHOUT the needed pressure of being across seas.
And?
Most legal Hispanic immigrants do in fact assimilate and learn English. However, by and large, Hispanic illegal aliens donít. Why should they, when they are constantly being coddled? Thus far, they have shown little if any interest in assimilation. They are simply here to get what they can. They are not here to become Americans, or to embrace the American culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 PM
 
1,643 posts, read 3,643,743 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Many people who are against illegal immigration complain about the millions of illegal aliens coming from Latin America. In fact 2/3 of all illegal aliens who are in the United States are from Mexico or Latin America. Most of the illegal aliens are from their lower classes. Most do not even have a high school diploma. The large number of unskilled, low class, poorly educated illegal aliens from Latin America has turned America upside down.

What if these 20 million illegal aliens were not from Latin America? What if they were from China, or Russia or Eastern Europe, or Africa? But they were still from their lower class, poorly educated and unskilled? Would the impact they have on America be any different?

Does the fact that the people who are our illegal immigrants are from Latin America make any difference regarding their disruption to our society? Maybe the fact that THE MAJORITY of our illegal aliens are from Latin America is actually good. If they were from Asia or Africa maybe it would be even more disruptive to America? What do you think?
Well, if they were from China they would be educated and they would speak English since they study it in school. They would all get jobs as soon as they arrived. I have yet to see any of the groups you mention in your post come here and expect us to care for them and adapt because of the language barrier. I also don't recall hearing of them crawling under fences and having anchor babies.

When was the last time you went to Home Depot and they had signs in Chinese?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:22 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Most legal Hispanic immigrants do in fact assimilate and learn English. However, by and large, Hispanic illegal aliens don’t. Why should they, when they are constantly being coddled? Thus far, they have shown little if any interest in assimilation. They are simply here to get what they can. They are not here to become Americans, or to embrace the American culture.
There's a lot of truth in that. Say what we want, the fact remains that in an earlier time, most immigrants to the US were fleeing dire poverty, discrimination, and oppression AT BEST. Many were fleeing concentration camps, persecution, starvation, ethnic violence, and almost certain death, for any number of reasons.

Today, a HUGE number of immigrants...particularly those who arrive 'informally', from certain 'nearby countries'....are here simply for a wage increase, or a higher standard of living. No emotional investment is involved, and no loyalty is given, nor implied. These folks are no more interested in "becoming Americans" than Texas oilfield workers working for BIG BUCKS in the oilfields of Saudi Arabia (or the North Sea) are interested in "becoming" Saudis, or becoming Norwegians. These are 'economic migrants', and nothing more....and in the case of illegals here, MOST of their interest in the US never extends any deeper than the 'benefits'. They aren't Americans, nor do they particularly want to BECOME Americans....it's all just a matter of 'bucks' and material gain....and that may be understandable, but it's a LONG way from the experience of immigrants in the past.

Whose fault is this? Ultimately, it's America's....for when little is demanded, little will be forthcoming. 'Give away' the right to live here with no strings attached, and it should be no surprise when the 'beneficiaries' feel no sense of gratitude. Their loyalties, and their hearts, lie elsewhere...the only thing keeping them here is money.....and maybe today, that's all we expect...I don't know. I know you can't ask people to assimilate if you insist you have no culture....and you can't expect them to learn your language, when it's not required...nor can you ask them to take our laws seriously, when we ourselves obviously don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
There's a lot of truth in that. Say what we want, the fact remains that in an earlier time, most immigrants to the US were fleeing dire poverty, discrimination, and oppression AT BEST. Many were fleeing concentration camps, persecution, starvation, ethnic violence, and almost certain death, for any number of reasons.

Today, a HUGE number of immigrants...particularly those who arrive 'informally', from certain 'nearby countries'....are here simply for a wage increase, or a higher standard of living. No emotional investment is involved, and no loyalty is given, nor implied. These folks are no more interested in "becoming Americans" than Texas oilfield workers working for BIG BUCKS in the oilfields of Saudi Arabia (or the North Sea) are interested in "becoming" Saudis, or becoming Norwegians. These are 'economic migrants', and nothing more....and in the case of illegals here, MOST of their interest in the US never extends any deeper than the 'benefits'. They aren't Americans, nor do they particularly want to BECOME Americans....it's all just a matter of 'bucks' and material gain....and that may be understandable, but it's a LONG way from the experience of immigrants in the past.

Whose fault is this? Ultimately, it's America's....for when little is demanded, little will be forthcoming. 'Give away' the right to live here with no strings attached, and it should be no surprise when the 'beneficiaries' feel no sense of gratitude. Their loyalties, and their hearts, lie elsewhere...the only thing keeping them here is money.....and maybe today, that's all we expect...I don't know. I know you can't ask people to assimilate if you insist you have no culture....and you can't expect them to learn your language, when it's not required...nor can you ask them to take our laws seriously, when we ourselves obviously don't.
How true. Respect is earned; and if a country loses self-respect, it certainly canít expect it from others. Sadly, we have allowed illegal aliens to treat this country like pimps treat their hookers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
 
3,277 posts, read 4,493,744 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechicano View Post
The day Koreatowns stop looking like this:




and Chinatowns stop looking like this



is the day you may have a point.


The fact is, there is a huge number of Hispanic immigrants in this country. MANY learn English, some don't right away.

Same with Asian immigrants. However the Hispanic immigrants are more visible, so you're going to see a lot of both.

With that said, businesses have a better shot by marketing to the many new-arrival Hispanic immigrants who either only speak Spanish, or feel much more comfortable in Spanish, than they do marketing to Asians. People from most Hispanic countries speak Spanish. People from Asian countries speak many different languages and many different dialects.
You find the logic in that.

Either way, the way you feel is based on selective hearing. It's weird how many of you like to tout other races/ethic groups against the Hispanics. It's not a competition.
Thank you.

The comparison of Asians in the US and Hispanics in the US in this thread is devoid of context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM
 
709 posts, read 1,541,871 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
When was the last time you went to Home Depot and they had signs in Chinese?
31% of the population in Daly City, California is Filipino, yet if you go to the local Home Depot there you will not see a single sign written in Filipino. You will however see signs written in Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
31% of the population in Daly City, California is Filipino, yet if you go to the local Home Depot there you will not see a single sign written in Filipino. You will however see signs written in Spanish.
In all fairness: English is; if not an official language............it is the de facto tongue of the Philippines itself.

The USA effectively stamped out the use of Spanish there in just two generations; remember the Philippines was a colony of Spain till 1898.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top