U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
How is it racist when ClarissaM never singled out a specific race?
Considering that most illiterate peasants of any actual race/ethnicity tend to be less intelligent than educated folks----------I saw nothing racist about ClarissaM's statement.

 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
85 posts, read 121,065 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Considering that most illiterate peasants of any actual race/ethnicity tend to be less intelligent than educated folks----------I saw nothing racist about ClarissaM's statement.
Thank you, AZBear, I meant nothing racist. It is a documented fact that the bulk of the illegal aliens into California are "illiterate in their own language." This is a major concern for school teachers, and has helped to throw California into #47 out of all of the states because these illegal alien children hold back the rest of the class.

I'm not even going to address those who claim "racist" because it's a specious argument that goes nowhere.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 05:19 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,081,161 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Thank you, AZBear, I meant nothing racist. It is a documented fact that the bulk of the illegal aliens into California are "illiterate in their own language." This is a major concern for school teachers, and has helped to throw California into #47 out of all of the states because these illegal alien children hold back the rest of the class.

I'm not even going to address those who claim "racist" because it's a specious argument that goes nowhere.
I don't think it's racist, but rather not true. Okay, let's look at the numbers. 57% of illegal immigrants in the United States are from Mexico. Mexico has a literacy rate of 92%. 24% of illegal immigrants are from other Latin American countries. The literacy rate in these countries vary from a low of 60% to a high of 98%...so if take the average of being approx 87-90% (most countries were in the 90% of literacy) we see that most illegal immigrants are literate. 6% of illegal immigrants came from Europe and Canada, 9% from Asia, and 4% from other parts of the world. Well, Europe and Canada have high literacy rates. The 9% from Asia I can't really state, but I can say that with a world literacy average of 85%...there is a REALLY good chance that those from Asia and the rest of the world are not illiterate.

The majority of illegal immigrants are not illiterate. It is possible that only illiterate people are moving to the US, but highly unlikely.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM
 
380 posts, read 612,478 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Well, we are on an illegal immigration forum discussing the problems attributed to those who trespass and BREAK THE LAW in our country. Until every American citizen benefits from his/her own government, it just doesn't make sense to allow law-breakers the same rights. Many of these illegal aliens are illiterate in their own language, so "giving them free educations" may be more difficult, doncha think, when they don't have the innate intelligence in the first place? Why do you think the education system in California is broken?
Let us stop playing semantics and get down to brass tacks. An overwhelming majority of illegal aliens in California are Mexican. You claimed that many of "these illegal aliens" are illiterate in their own language. I provided you with an official statistic from the UN that proves otherwise. You then stated that they do not have innate intelligence. To say that an ethnic and/or racial group does not have innate intelligence IS a racist statement. To say that a group of illegal immigrants does not have innate intelligence, regardless of their race, is at least ethnocentric and more likely just a plain dumb statement. Call me kooky, but I'm going to go waaaaay out on a precarious limb here and assume you meant illegal Mexicans. So, if my assumptions of about what you REALLY meant are wrong please feel free to correct them. Where you speaking of another innately stupid group of illegal immigrants? Perhaps the Chinese? Vietnamese? I am of the opinion that my assumption was spot on concerning what you meant, therefore I stand behind my claim that you are a racist. Please feel free to prove my opinion wrong.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 06:33 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,794,644 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Considering that most illiterate peasants of any actual race/ethnicity tend to be less intelligent than educated folks----------I saw nothing racist about ClarissaM's statement.
LOL, there are many people who can read and write but are not intelligent at all. I would love to see some scientific studies that back up your assertions that illiterates are less intelligent than people who can read and write.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM
 
380 posts, read 612,478 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Thank you, AZBear, I meant nothing racist. It is a documented fact that the bulk of the illegal aliens into California are "illiterate in their own language." This is a major concern for school teachers, and has helped to throw California into #47 out of all of the states because these illegal alien children hold back the rest of the class.

I'm not even going to address those who claim "racist" because it's a specious argument that goes nowhere.
If it is a documented fact provide the source you are refering to please. I have provided the source for the literacy rate for Mexico. So unless you are prepared to back up statements do not use terms like: "documented fact" ............ I will wait for the name of your source to look that "documented fact" up before I choose to move forward with the debate concerning this.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,794,644 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
Let us stop playing semantics and get down to brass tacks. An overwhelming majority of illegal aliens in California are Mexican. You claimed that many of "these illegal aliens" are illiterate in their own language. I provided you with an official statistic from the UN that proves otherwise. You then stated that they do not have innate intelligence. To say that an ethnic and/or racial group does not have innate intelligence IS a racist statement. To say that a group of illegal immigrants does not have innate intelligence, regardless of their race, is at least ethnocentric and more likely just a plain dumb statement. Call me kooky, but I'm going to go waaaaay out on a precarious limb here and assume you meant illegal Mexicans. So, if my assumptions of about what you REALLY meant are wrong please feel free to correct them. Where you speaking of another innately stupid group of illegal immigrants? Perhaps the Chinese? Vietnamese? I am of the opinion that my assumption was spot on concerning what you meant, therefore I stand behind my claim that you are a racist. Please feel free to prove my opinion wrong.
Okay, let clarissa explain what he meant by these people not having innate intelligence. It may be that we just don't know what the word innate means.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 06:52 PM
 
380 posts, read 612,478 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
LOL, there are many people who can read and write but are not intelligent at all. I would love to see some scientific studies that back up your assertions that illiterates are less intelligent than people who can read and write.
Exactly, the reason why some people cannot read or write is because their socio-economic situation forced them to work instead of going to school and not because of their lack of intelligence.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
 
380 posts, read 612,478 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Thank you, AZBear, I meant nothing racist. It is a documented fact that the bulk of the illegal aliens into California are "illiterate in their own language." This is a major concern for school teachers, and has helped to throw California into #47 out of all of the states because these illegal alien children hold back the rest of the class.

I'm not even going to address those who claim "racist" because it's a specious argument that goes nowhere.
Throw them into #47 concerning what? If you are talking about high school graduation rates you are WRONG AGAIN. According to the National Center for Education Statistics and the US Dept. of Education, California ranks #33 with 70.7% of students graduating high school.


How can the argument be specious when I am using your own words to prove that my opinion is correct? Until you explain what you REALLY meant by your lacking innate intelligence statement I am going to consider you a racist.

Last edited by contachster; 07-29-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top