U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2009, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,583,813 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

Lawmaker to Feds: Reimburse California for Illegal Immigrants | NBC Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,829 posts, read 30,118,328 times
Reputation: 17711
The average annual cost to house an inmate in California is $35,587. According to Benoit's office, illegal immigrants comprise 15 percent -- roughly 26,000 inmates -- of the state's prison population.

that is a chunk of change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,881 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The average annual cost to house an inmate in California is $35,587. According to Benoit's office, illegal immigrants comprise 15 percent -- roughly 26,000 inmates -- of the state's prison population.

that is a chunk of change
Damn! $35,587 per person per year?!?

I know of many people in California that live on FAR LESS than that..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: California
29,634 posts, read 31,979,723 times
Reputation: 24763
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Damn! $35,587 per person per year?!?

I know of many people in California that live on FAR LESS than that..
Seriously.
Incarceration is expensive. That's one of the reasons Gov Terminator is saying we must release a % of prison population to balance the State budget. And a reason to reconsider what is and what isn't prison worthy ((pot))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 03:12 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,082,934 times
Reputation: 2244
19000 inamtes, mostly non violent offenders to be released.

whos responsibility is it?

california has a case.
the feds aint doing what they supposed to do at the border. in CA the tightened up the border (thanks to the new head of HS), but that just shifted the problem to AZ. and a lot of people once on this side, just came to CA.

has CA, been a welcoming place? i dont think so. its been more complascent. now its cracking down, at least in the jails.

maybe the solution would be once a criminal is known to be in the states illegally they get transferred over to the fed detention halls. the problem is that you would have serious offenders in with people whose only crime is being here illegally. so a new classification system would be required.

what about lifers who are illegal? illegals on DR?

i guess the solution would be to expand federal immigration jails that have seperate tiers for all types of offenders.

serious ones, killers, rapists, jay walkers, drunk drivers, those awaiting deportation.

then the feds can handle everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Seriously.
Incarceration is expensive. That's one of the reasons Gov Terminator is saying we must release a % of prison population to balance the State budget. And a reason to reconsider what is and what isn't prison worthy ((pot))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,162,475 times
Reputation: 17979
Fat chance really.The feds will just say ok;how the moeny that we gave you for that must be used to fund your illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 03:54 PM
 
14 posts, read 9,199 times
Reputation: 13
I don't think people who commit non-violent crimes shouldn't be sent to jail. People who are not citizens of this country and commit any crime, should be deported, not put into our jails that are funded by our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 03:57 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,082,934 times
Reputation: 2244
chipped, then sent across the border. that way both govt's can keep track of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newideas View Post
I don't think people who commit non-violent crimes shouldn't be sent to jail. People who are not citizens of this country and commit any crime, should be deported, not put into our jails that are funded by our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top