U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,654,941 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In my original post I stated that the business community who determined we needed all the cheap labor did not really care about the social and cultural impact of all these illegal aliens invading our country. They just want to make money. Most of them live in communities that are hidden from the problems of illegal immigration anyway and if they are impacted they just consider it the cost of doing business.

If you are a millionaire owner of ten fast food restaurants your main interest is keeping costs down, turnover of workers low and a steady stream of employees who will work hard, keep their nose clean and mind their own business. These in most cases are immigrants. I they are illegal or legal, you really do not care, you need hard working bodies.

I remember living in Iowa 30 years ago and the fast food restaurants were mostly high school and college aged white American born workers. I worked for one as an assistant manager. Many of my fellow employees were lazy and were always quitting and calling in sick and causing trouble. We always had a hard time finding enough workers. We had to raise wages to $3.00 over minimum wage. Then the government opened the flood gates to illegal and legal immigration and the whole thing changed. It became easier to get hard workers and we could pay minimum wage. The white (lazy) workers were replaced with immigrants and the company was happy.
30 years ago was 1979 and the economy was not all that great---------I am old enough to remember.

Needless to say: I do not believe you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,715,428 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Wrong!

We do not need quasi slave labor to run this nation-----------period.

If the USA is such a bunch of pansies that we 'need' illegal aliens to wipe our collective butts----------frankly, we do not deserve to exist as a country/culture.

The cold reality, Kellem, is that Mexico needs us much than we need it---------and, Mexico knows that.
They need us more than we need them. Who do you think our 'friends' went whining to when the H1N1 swine fly outbreak started to get out of hand? (after they had covered it up for a few weeks, that is) Good old Uncle Sucker, I mean Uncle Sam and the CDC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:28 AM
 
943 posts, read 2,710,194 times
Reputation: 687
So when High School White and Black Kids were dominating the workforce of the fast food industry 30 years ago the quality of the workers were better than the immigrants that are doing the job today?

The unemployment rate in the late 1970s in my small town was moderate and there were plenty of jobs for the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
30 years ago was 1979 and the economy was not all that great---------I am old enough to remember.

Needless to say: I do not believe you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,816 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In my original post I stated that the business community who determined we needed all the cheap labor did not really care about the social and cultural impact of all these illegal aliens invading our country. They just want to make money. Most of them live in communities that are hidden from the problems of illegal immigration anyway and if they are impacted they just consider it the cost of doing business.

If you are a millionaire owner of ten fast food restaurants your main interest is keeping costs down, turnover of workers low and a steady stream of employees who will work hard, keep their nose clean and mind their own business. These in most cases are immigrants. I they are illegal or legal, you really do not care, you need hard working bodies.

I remember living in Iowa 30 years ago and the fast food restaurants were mostly high school and college aged white American born workers. I worked for one as an assistant manager. Many of my fellow employees were lazy and were always quitting and calling in sick and causing trouble. We always had a hard time finding enough workers. We had to raise wages to $3.00 over minimum wage. Then the government opened the flood gates to illegal and legal immigration and the whole thing changed. It became easier to get hard workers and we could pay minimum wage. The white (lazy) workers were replaced with immigrants and the company was happy.
This sounds like Pro-Illegal Spin.. Accusing "White workers" of being lazy is a common tactic used by Illegal Mexican immigrants (and their apologists) in order for the "White or other cultural" workers to be displaced and replaced with the illegal's cousins, sisters, brothers, friends, etc.. I have also worked in fast food, circa early to mid 1990's in California and as a retail manager for over 10 years.. I have seen this first hand..

Although "Fast Food" jobs are not the most ideal, there are still many teenagers and even Adults that are down on their luck that are willing to work at such places.. During my experience in fast food, I had seen many middle aged black, white, and southeast Asian women working in the restaurants.. Many advance and decide that they want Fast Food to be their career (such as a Restaurant Manager or DM) while many are just working the job temporarily to get through college..

The turnover rate for Illegal Aliens is equally as high as that of legal U.S. Citizens.. Also, Illegal Aliens may not "cause problems" because of the fear of deportation.. I do agree that many greedy owners and managers would hire them because of this, but the argument that they work "harder" than U.S. citizens is spin..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
 
369 posts, read 377,668 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
In my original post I stated that the business community who determined we needed all the cheap labor did not really care about the social and cultural impact of all these illegal aliens invading our country. They just want to make money. Most of them live in communities that are hidden from the problems of illegal immigration anyway and if they are impacted they just consider it the cost of doing business.

If you are a millionaire owner of ten fast food restaurants your main interest is keeping costs down, turnover of workers low and a steady stream of employees who will work hard, keep their nose clean and mind their own business. These in most cases are immigrants. I they are illegal or legal, you really do not care, you need hard working bodies.

I remember living in Iowa 30 years ago and the fast food restaurants were mostly high school and college aged white American born workers. I worked for one as an assistant manager. Many of my fellow employees were lazy and were always quitting and calling in sick and causing trouble. We always had a hard time finding enough workers. We had to raise wages to $3.00 over minimum wage. Then the government opened the flood gates to illegal and legal immigration and the whole thing changed. It became easier to get hard workers and we could pay minimum wage. The white (lazy) workers were replaced with immigrants and the company was happy.

In this great economy as an unemployed IT worker. I actually found a job at a pizza chain. No immigrant employees there and they were all really good workers and was impressed that they could have fun with each other but still work hard. It was a very pleasant work environment.

I like the propoganda that always blames the lazy americans. Americans are the most productive workers in the world. We take fewer vactions etc.... than anyone else in the world. Maybe the hiring manager should of done a better job hiring employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM
 
12,870 posts, read 12,785,187 times
Reputation: 4446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Please.. lets keep discussion around my original post that states the government allows illegals to come in because our leaders have decided we need the illegal labor to keep our economy moving.
low wage labor might be beneficial when you have a manufacturing economy but it is certainly not useful when you have a service based economy, which is what we now have. it just drives wages down in the country and therefore does not help the economy move at all.
i believe that the government could care less about american workers and is in bed with wall street so what happens to american workers is of no concern to them. i do believe that the government allowed all of these illegal immigrants into the country on purpose to create a false housing demand and start the ball rolling for the derivatives market though for their banking and wall street friends. money talks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,715,428 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
So when High School White and Black Kids were dominating the workforce of the fast food industry 30 years ago the quality of the workers were better than the immigrants that are doing the job today?

The unemployment rate in the late 1970s in my small town was moderate and there were plenty of jobs for the kids.
As a matter of fact...........yes, it was! The quality of the workers was better in two very important aspects.

1. When an actual American seeking a job showed a Health Screening Card or presented evidence that they were in good health, most importantly free of TB, the person doing the hiring could be sure that the majority of the time the information they presented was legit. You see, this was back before the cottage industry of document fraud sprang up in order to accommodate all the illegals with God only knows what diseases who need a document that says they are in good health in order to work in the food industry.

2. When actual Americans were hired, they typically were familiar with the standards of personal hygiene of a developed country. They knew to cover their mouth if they coughed, stay home if they had the flu, wash their hands after using the restroom, etc. They also had enough science background to understand why food could only be kept on the warmer for so long, why food that must be kept cold needs to be at a specific temperature, etc. Reasonably educated employees= improved food safety for the public.
Why do you think we are always having some food borne disease outbreak of some sort or another? This did not go on 30 years ago and if anything the technology to keep food safe has improved! It is like we are regressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
 
12,870 posts, read 12,785,187 times
Reputation: 4446
madeleine cosman had several interesting papers on the re-emergence of TB and other diseases into the united states from non-vaccinated illegal immigrants. i am sorry that she died as she had a wealth of research on the dangers of non-immunized / non-treated workers entering the country. i am certain that this has contributed somewhat to our rising healthcare costs in the united states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
 
709 posts, read 1,543,172 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
I like the propoganda that always blames the lazy americans. Americans are the most productive workers in the world. We take fewer vactions etc.... than anyone else in the world. Maybe the hiring manager should of done a better job hiring employees.
It is the French who are the laziest people in the Western World judging by the number of vacations they they take per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,044,404 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
So when High School White and Black Kids were dominating the workforce of the fast food industry 30 years ago the quality of the workers were better than the immigrants that are doing the job today?
Are you saying that hispanic immigrants work harder than Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top