Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
If you own a house or buy fruits or have baby sitters you maybe have benefit from Illegals. You house was cheaper because of Illegals and so were you fruits and vegetables. Humans will always look for a deal.

So if you have Joe Blow the White fence maker who is going to charger you $2500 to put your fence up and then you have Pancho the Mexican dude that is going to do it for $ 1000 are you going to ask Pancho " Hey are you Illegal and then pay Joe Blow $ 2500? HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!! Pancho gets job end of story.
My house was built in 1957, so it is a safe assumption that it was not built by the hordes of illegal laborers that are in the United States. If I had bought a shoddy new construction in a far-flung suburb, you might be right about that. It is not a coincidence that my 52 year old house is in better condition and is of a higher quality than many 5 and 10 year old houses in those suburbs. But they have granite and hardwood floors, so people do not notice how badly they were built until they start to fall apart.

I have no way of knowing who picked the fruits and vegetables that I buy but the "savings" to us are negligible when compared to the cost of those illegals to society as a whole. I would gladly pay more per pound for fruits and vegetables and less in taxes. Gladly. I am also going to start a vegetable garden so that a higher percentage of what is on my plate will have been picked by an American (me).

I would pay Joe Blow the American fence builder (who says he has to be white?) a fair price to build a fence over an illegal from any country in a heartbeat. I probably would not have to get Joe Blow out to my house multiple times to fix all the shortcuts he took. If you pay $3 per linear foot for a fence, you get what you pay for: a fence that is not properly built and will start to sag within a couple of years if not months. In fact if I felt I had to get a Spanish-speaking friend on the phone in order to translate for any laborer on my property, I would go with another company. I do not care how cheap they are. I am not a hypocrite and am willing to pay more for an American to do the job. And there are plenty of Americans of all ethnic backgrounds in construction in Texas.

I also plan to cut my own grass and clean my own house. No kids, so no need for babysitters. I would rather do my own landscaping, cleaning, and "handyman" work than contribute to the illegal problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Usually you get what you pay for -- a cheap fence by the cheapest possible unskilled labor, but if you want quality workmanship, you have to pay more.

For that reason it's stupid to pick up some day laborer you see out begging for a job in some parking lot. It's better to go with a licensed and bonded company with trained workers.
This is an extremely good point! You always want a contractor to be bonded because if they are not and their subs injure themselves on your property, guess who gets sued? YOU!!!!!! You also want them to be licensed because some local authorities (including the city where I bought my house) are cracking down on unlicensed contractors and insist on inspections for electrical and many types of construction work and if you cannot produce evidence that the work was carried out by someone licensed by that local authority, guess what? Fine! Or you have to rip it out and do it again.

I close on my house in 29 days and have already lined up a licensed and bonded American contractor to carry out some electrical and construction work on my house. He is fully qualified to do all of the work I am asking him to do and has an outstanding reputation in the community.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:56 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
If you own a house or buy fruits or have baby sitters you maybe have benefit from Illegals. You house was cheaper because of Illegals and so were you fruits and vegetables. Humans will always look for a deal.

So if you have Joe Blow the White fence maker who is going to charger you $2500 to put your fence up and then you have Pancho the Mexican dude that is going to do it for $ 1000 are you going to ask Pancho " Hey are you Illegal and then pay Joe Blow $ 2500? HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!! Pancho gets job end of story.
I am going to go with the idea that Pancho is an illegal -- after all, your first paragraph states that everyone has benefitted from illegal labor, your second paragraph is about how cheap Pancho is. And American (citizen or legal immigrant) contractors are not going to be able to survive with a bid less the half of the going price.
So, Pancho is illegal.

Now, going with your theory that everyone loves a bargain thus illegality should be condoned.
The same argument was used by the South --'everyone who wears cotton/smokes tobacco/eats sugar are benefitting from slavery thus slavery is OK'
Well, it wasn't OK, and everyone somehow was able to survive with slightly more expensive cotton/tobacco/sugar.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:

That's only in your world. In mine, I go for the legal way of doing things.

And what does owning a house, buying fruits or having babysitters have anything to do with illegals benefitting me? NOTHING.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
In addition, most homeowners’ insurance will not cover fire damage resulting from faulty electrical wiring installed by an unlicensed electrician. I have never understood the mindset of people who would rather save a dime, while jeopardizing their safety. Electricity is nothing to play with. You may not need a licensed electrician to install a simple ceiling fan, but you do need a licensed electrician to rough-in or wire an entire house. This is common sense.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:26 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
I would not consciously ever choose to use the services provided by an illegal.
I mow my own yard (and as the only woman doing so in our neighborhood I do tend to stand out - lol), clean my own house, and only use friends or relatives for babysitting if I need it.
As someone else mentioned, I buy only US produce if I can, never Mexico or China. I will pay more for US produce since I feel strongly about it.
As for the houses, my god I saw the crappy quality of some of the houses built around here by illegals. And I've known many people I grew up with who were in construction who did a quality job end up losing their jobs to illegals willing to work for next to nothing. Grrrr...........

Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I close on my house in 29 days and have already lined up a licensed and bonded American contractor to carry out some electrical and construction work on my house. He is fully qualified to do all of the work I am asking him to do and has an outstanding reputation in the community.
Did you verify that a licensed and bonded contractor, who does not employ illegals, also built the house? Or are you part of the hypocrite crowd who wants to send the illegals away yet willingly benefits from their work?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:18 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
As someone else mentioned, I buy only US produce if I can, never Mexico or China. I will pay more for US produce since I feel strongly about it.
As for the houses, my god I saw the crappy quality of some of the houses built around here by illegals. And I've known many people I grew up with who were in construction who did a quality job end up losing their jobs to illegals willing to work for next to nothing. Grrrr...........
I wonder who grew and harvested it.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
what is happening now was delayed 20 years by illegal immigration, aka cheap labor. but you can only give the economy steroids for so long.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:22 PM

25 posts, read 31,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Sure, we buy all that. Heres the real story.

You buy "Panco's" fruits & veggies. You die from infection or E-Coli 1 week later. "Pancho" runs back to Mexico.

"Pancho's" kids baby sit at your house. Things come up missing & your house is broken into 3 days later. 1 week later you learn "Pancho" has no kids, the "baby sitter" was a 14yr old runaway from Dallas.

"Pancho" (that Mexican dude) builds you fence. Half way through, "Pancho" runs back to Mexico with the 600 bucks you gave him ( good faith money & money to buy materials) and the first part of the fence falls over. Turns out "Pancho" knows nothing about fences, his friend "Pedro" told him how to build it, but. Cheeze. you know, cheeze (she's) just to hard to build. Or Cheezeus Christ, thats way more work than we thought.

The following month the roof "Panco & Cronies" put on your house blows off, the city code inspector tells you to "redo" "Pancho's" plumming job and your garage burns up because illegals gave you a Deal on rewiring it . So. here you are, standing In the ruins, looking at the aftermath of destruction and some " Mexican dude" walks up and says " hey man, I cain geet you a deel on som work, cheap"..

HELL NO. End of story............
Priceless!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration