U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 PM

709 posts, read 1,549,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Good grief....just how, exactly, does one "act" White?
If you think "Blitzkrieg Bop" by The Ramones is a better song than "Lollipop" by Lil Wayne, than you are acting White as hell, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 PM

23,137 posts, read 32,265,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
I live in board state and I don't see the Illegals taking over my town. I don't understand what all this fuss about them taking over this country. I think everyone should worry about living their lives and not worry about others.
Well i live in a non-border state (Virginia) and see them taking over my town. Thank you very much.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:12 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,805,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post

Good grief....just how, exactly, does one "act" White? And if a White person posted on here that he/she acted "Black" or "Hispanic", wouldn't he/she be accused of being racist?
'Acting White' is a derogatory term for an uptown Black who has Middle Class values and speaks proper English. Our President is a textbook example of the latter (OK, Obama is only 1/2 Black but still...........)

Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 PM

23,137 posts, read 32,265,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
'Acting White' is a derogatory term for an uptown Black who has Middle Class values and speaks proper English. Our President is a textbook example of the latter (OK, Obama is only 1/2 Black but still...........)
Actually if you want a fully black example Joseph C. Phillips comes to mind.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,690,447 times
[quote=that1guy;9139635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are you saying your white neighbors welcomed you, a black man, but left simply because someone Hispanic moved into the neighborhood? I’m having a hard time believing that, unless they were illegal aliens living 20 per house.

I'm mixed. I act "White" (saying "dude", surfing, skating, etc). I hate that term "act White". Living in a mostly White community and actually having people forget I'm Black (my friends on more than one occasion have mentioned that there was x-1 number of black students in our class, I'd have to point out that there was more...then they would say...I kind of forgot about you...it's a little sad). It's suburban Southern California. The city also had a large shift in the number of Black residents as well. From less than 5% when my dad was in college in the 1960s-1970s to 20% today (most moving in the 1980s and 1990s). Hispanics citywide went from 10-20% when I was little kid to about 30-40% today. Funny thing is, my neighborhood is as safe as it was as a kid...just a little tanner. Mostly second generation Hispanics live in this part of town, as well as educated Blacks. Some people stayed, and love the new diversity. Others left for Temecula, then Hesperia, then finally Phoenix (maybe points further east by now).
A sad day indeed when the folks around you forget your race..but as you say, that's California. Perhaps in Georgia or Alabama there'd be more recognition...but then, I don't know. (I'm white, and on two occasions I recall in the past, folks have told my wife they 'don't think of me as white')....sad? I don't know.

Who can say? Maybe some day we'll all be judged by the content of our character...(some guy once said that).

Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 PM

33,174 posts, read 30,445,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Nope it's paranoia.
Ya, people go through the motion of ripping up roots, selling their house and leaving friends simply because some person of "color" moves in.

You are leaving out a bus load of other steps that lead to "wealth flight" not white flight.

It's called the hood for a reason. Crime, graffiti, people not speaking English, ya none of that. It's simply paranoid white people.

You really must live in a vacuum. People move because they are sick of the crime and trash. Anyone who can move when the trash moves in, will move. Pretty simple concept.

My Apache butt moved when the trash got bad, I don't blame anyone for moving out of a hood for that.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 PM

709 posts, read 1,549,032 times
Quote:
folks have told my wife they 'don't think of me as white').
Are you very tanned like actor George Hamilton ? If yes than that could be the reason why they don't see you as White, LOL.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,865,919 times
i have found that people see and hear just what they want to.
21 million illegals in the USA, here comes BP now "hey sir have you seen any illegal aliens around here?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,106,658 times
[quote=FormerCaliforniaGirl;9139739]
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Good grief....just how, exactly, does one "act" White? And if a White person posted on here that he/she acted "Black" or "Hispanic", wouldn't he/she be accused of being racist?
Really? I mean you are the queen of things like this. Kidding (kind of). But no seriously, you have mentioned before of certain cultural behaviors. However, a difference is that you mentioned in previous posts they caused you to move from a decent neighborhood...I noted how they are stupid in establishing cultural identity. You may have missed that part of my post.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Wow, thanks for your invaluable insight...Though it remains to be seen how it will benefit, thanks for your participation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration