U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2009, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,681 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

Quote:
A Tucson man convicted of littering on federal land said he will continue to leave water out for illegal immigrants walking through the desert, even if that means risking further citations.

“We’re committed to our humanitarian efforts,” said 27-year-old Walt Staton, who was found guilty Wednesday in U.S. District Court of knowingly littering on a national wildlife refuge. “We’re not asking permission from the United State to save people’s lives. We never have, because we know they’d say no.”

Staton, a Web designer and volunteer with humanitarian group No More Deaths, was cited Dec. 4 for littering when U.S. Border Patrol agents spotted him placing unopened gallon containers of water in the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge southwest of Tucson.

Staton faces up to one year in prison and a $10,000 fine when he is sentenced on Aug. 11 by U.S. District Magistrate Judge Jennifer Guerin.

“We absolutely plan to appeal,” Staton’s lawyer, William Walker, said. “We will appeal to the Ninth Circuit, and if that doesn’t work, we’ll ask the Supreme Court to hear us.”
Tucson man faces prison for leaving water jugs along border | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/295612.php - broken link)

Bye bye.

This nutjob should happy that he hasn't been charged with aiding and abetting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2009, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,175,128 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Tucson man faces prison for leaving water jugs along border | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/295612.php - broken link)

Bye bye.

This nutjob should happy that he hasn't been charged with aiding and abetting.
My thoughts and prayers go out for this guy. I wonder how many people he has saved with his work.

I just hope that he gets a fair judge, that either throws away such ridiculous verdict or gives him the minimum sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,681 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
My thoughts and prayers go out for this guy. I wonder how many people he has saved with his work.

I just hope that he gets a fair judge, that either throws away such ridiculous verdict or gives him the minimum sentence.
You do realize that littering is a crime, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,175,128 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
You do realize that littering is a crime, right?
This is the reason why people get trials, laws are not as black and white as you seem to think so. This is also the reason why judges have discretion when assigning sentences and accepting verdicts.

It is different a person leaving containers full of water for people to drink so they don't die on the side of the road, vs. someone throwing an empty container out of their window because they don't want to wait for the next thrash bin, or people disposing of construction material because they don't want to pay the disposal fee.

I am glad that the judicial system was crafted by smart people, and not ignorants such as yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,681 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
This is the reason why people get trials, laws are not as black and white as you seem to think so. This is also the reason why judges have discretion when assigning sentences and accepting verdicts.

It is different a person leaving containers full of water for people to drink so they don't die on the side of the road, vs. someone throwing an empty container out of their window because they don't want to wait for the next thrash bin, or people disposing of construction material because they don't want to pay the disposal fee.

I am glad that the judicial system was crafted by smart people, and not ignorants such as yourself.
BTW, giving material support to a trespasser to allow that trespasser to enter a country IS aiding and abetting.

Ignorant? HA! You're the one who refuses to accept the law and a judge's ruling in this case and now want it twisted in your favor.

Speak for your own ignorant self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,175,128 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
BTW, giving material support to a trespasser to allow that trespasser to enter a country IS aiding and abetting.
Ignorant? HA! You're the one who refuses to accept the law and a judge's ruling in this case and now want it twisted in your favor.

Speak for your own ignorant self.
You must know more about the law that the prosecutor that tried this case, since aiding and abetting was not the charge, littering was.

Yes, ignorant it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,681 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
You must know more about the law that the prosecutor that tried this case, since aiding and abetting was not the charge, littering was.

Yes, ignorant it is.
Of course, the prosecutor may bring up additional charges later on. It happens quite often but we'll have to wait and see what will occur next.

Anyway, the judge has ruled that the illegal alien enabler is guilty and I will continue to defend the judge's ruling no matter how you try and twist it to favor your beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,138,805 times
Reputation: 5685
One would think that encouraging families to drag their children out onto that desert during the summer in hopes of finding a water jug, might actually be aiding in the deaths of these children. I am glad they were prosecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
My thoughts and prayers go out for this guy. I wonder how many people he has saved with his work.

I just hope that he gets a fair judge, that either throws away such ridiculous verdict or gives him the minimum sentence.
He could save even more lives if he spent his time telling illegal aliens not to attempt to cross the desert in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,175,128 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
He could save even more lives if he spent his time telling illegal aliens not to attempt to cross the desert in the first place.
Is that before or after he find's them dead in the desert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top