U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Only if you stop speeding, if all people in LA water their lawns on Tues. and Thurs. only, if the people in my hometown all have green lawns, if there were no jay-walking...

Sorry, many Americans don't report income. Many illegal immigrants have LEGAL ITIN, and frankly, the illegal immigrants that do this have a MUCH different motivation.
Irrelevant:

Most of what you listed are infractions for Americans/green card holders whereas illegal aliens are criminals by default so the latter would face much stiffer penalties.

Are you willing to go to jail for harboring an illegal alien?

 
Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Some days last longer than others...This day, by the way, moved too fast...
The analogy was perfect. They are attempting to steal what is not rightfully theirs. The benefits of citizenship. More to the point through their actions they are actully harming legal citizens.
Property taxes. It is a fact that a common practice among illegals is to rent an apartment and have several families live there. So in effect no they are not contributing their fair share.
Property taxes. As luck would have it my area is a one horse town. We have the pargest paper mill in the country and our business has not been impacted all that much. In other words no lay offs. The majority of folks in my area either work at the mill or are supported by someone working at said mill.
The child is being punished by their parents. The parents are the ones who both created the situation and drug the child into it. The parents own the R on that.
If they work hard. It matters not at all how hard they work. Many car thieves work hard at their trade as well. Should they get the free pass?
They work hard and low ball wages at jobs a legal citizen should have at the going wage. They are partners in the crime with the greedy employer.
Once again they are willing partners in the crime not victims.
If they live here. They are not and can never be one of ours until it is done legally. Our children have needs too and we as a nation are strapped for cash. That means we cannot afford to waste resourses on outsiders.
Yes we do need to fix our educational system. But part of the fix has nothing to do with free rides for illegals. Quite the opposite.
 
Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
ALL immigration needs to stop for 10 years. Contrary to your desires, the U.S. doesn't OWE anybody immigration. Furthermore, the land base has already surpassed carry capacity. There are not enough resources for even more people.
Why does immigration need to stop for 10 years? So have we reached a Malthusian catastrophe? (The answer is no).
 
Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Irrelevant:

Most of what you listed are infractions for Americans/green card holders whereas illegal aliens are criminals by default so the latter would face much stiffer penalties.

Are you willing to go to jail for harboring an illegal alien?
Relevant. Actually I have habored an illegal before (didn't know until later, but still hasn't changed my perception of that person...who is now legal).
 
Old 09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,152,740 times
Reputation: 26668
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What if their children do not become successful? And even if they do, guess what? The amnestied DREAMies are not going to pay all the bills for their parents. If madre and padre never graduated from HS, perhaps never even made it as far as HS in order to dropout, and do not speak English, they will be suited for no type of work except unskilled labor. How many 60+ year olds do your see framing houses or replacing shingles on roofs? Not many. Beyond late middle age, most people simply are no longer able to perform hard manual labor. When padre is no longer able to work painting houses in the 90 degree heat all summer, what is going to happen? He can't even get a job as the greeter at Walmart because he would not be able to tell a customer that the toasters are in aisle 16 in English. He will either go on welfare or disability since he is now a 'citizen', thanks to sponsorship by the DREAMie offspring. American society ends up supporting him. And aforementioned DREAMie is not going to pay for all madre and padre's medical care out of his or her pocket. They will go on Medicaid. When they are 65, they will be eligible for Medicare and SS despite having paid little or nothing into the system. Having them here benefits no one except the DREAMie and it is real questionable as to whether having a DREAMie here benefits anyone other than themselves.

The end result is always the same. The illegals are rewarded for breaking the rules and the rest of us foot the bill.
I would rep you for that but apparently I have to spread some around first...
 
Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The analogy was perfect. They are attempting to steal what is not rightfully theirs. The benefits of citizenship. More to the point through their actions they are actully harming legal citizens.

Elaborate on how they are harming citizens. Moreover, "steal" implies that they took something that is not theirs. They didn't. What they did do is try to give a better life for their children. So I guess they "stole" the idea of global equality? Stealing is a stretch at best. Some do commit ID theft, yet most of the time the "theft" is from non existent individuals (meaning that they conjured up a fake person). In reality, not a true theft.

Property taxes. It is a fact that a common practice among illegals is to rent an apartment and have several families live there. So in effect no they are not contributing their fair share.

Do you realize that it is up to the OWNER of the property to pay taxes? Thus, it's a wash if there is only 1 person or 14.

Property taxes. As luck would have it my area is a one horse town. We have the pargest paper mill in the country and our business has not been impacted all that much. In other words no lay offs. The majority of folks in my area either work at the mill or are supported by someone working at said mill.

That's good.

The child is being punished by their parents. The parents are the ones who both created the situation and drug the child into it. The parents own the R on that.

No by the gov't. The gov't is punishing them for the parent's actions.

If they work hard. It matters not at all how hard they work. Many car thieves work hard at their trade as well. Should they get the free pass?
They work hard and low ball wages at jobs a legal citizen should have at the going wage. They are partners in the crime with the greedy employer.
Once again they are willing partners in the crime not victims.

Glanced at this and feel that this is again a red herring of an analogy.

If they live here. They are not and can never be one of ours until it is done legally. Our children have needs too and we as a nation are strapped for cash. That means we cannot afford to waste resourses on outsiders.
Yes we do need to fix our educational system. But part of the fix has nothing to do with free rides for illegals. Quite the opposite.

An emphasis on education is needed to garner support and those that live here. That's the only way to fix the system. If illegal immigrants are "draining" the system so much, it stands to reason that aiding them to gain an economic foothold is helping to fix the system.
20 seconds till the last call...yelling "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey" ... Fold it, fold it, fold it...(damn I love indie music).
 
Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What if their children do not become successful? And even if they do, guess what? The amnestied DREAMies are not going to pay all the bills for their parents. If madre and padre never graduated from HS, perhaps never even made it as far as HS in order to dropout, and do not speak English, they will be suited for no type of work except unskilled labor. How many 60+ year olds do your see framing houses or replacing shingles on roofs? Not many. Beyond late middle age, most people simply are no longer able to perform hard manual labor. When padre is no longer able to work painting houses in the 90 degree heat all summer, what is going to happen? He can't even get a job as the greeter at Walmart because he would not be able to tell a customer that the toasters are in aisle 16 in English. He will either go on welfare or disability since he is now a 'citizen', thanks to sponsorship by the DREAMie offspring. American society ends up supporting him. And aforementioned DREAMie is not going to pay for all madre and padre's medical care out of his or her pocket. They will go on Medicaid. When they are 65, they will be eligible for Medicare and SS despite having paid little or nothing into the system. Having them here benefits no one except the DREAMie and it is real questionable as to whether having a DREAMie here benefits anyone other than themselves.

The end result is always the same. The illegals are rewarded for breaking the rules and the rest of us foot the bill.
Listen to "Paranoia" by Green Day much?
 
Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Listen to "Paranoia" by Green Day much?
The word is reality.

Illegal aliens are criminals and need to leave the USA prior to being forced out and having their assets seized.
 
Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Listen to "Paranoia" by Green Day much?
No, I am too busy listening to 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' by Peter, Paul and Mary.
 
Old 09-02-2009, 11:45 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
No, I am too busy listening to 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' by Peter, Paul and Mary.
Nice choice. Little ironic. I do like ironic humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top