U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
147 posts, read 186,327 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
You are missing the point is not about illegals or legals is about some ones life that matters more then his status.

But it absolutely is about status! Why should this person be considered a priority to anyone besides his family (because he brings home the paycheck). Are you aware of the LONG line of people who are waiting to get into this country and are doing it legally? Should they be disregarded and put on hold? Many of them sick I might add. That's always the problem, the "me first" mentality. Who do you think is going to pay for this costly medical care? and btw if he can no longer work, who's gonna be responsible for supporting this family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Well folks, they finally got me. Yes, I am actually going to say what you think I am going to say. I want this man to get his surgery. There, I said it. Now everyone who frequents this forum knows I am totally against amnesty and totally against the support of illegal aliens. But, I am a compassionate person and I don't think anyone should be left to suffer over something as frivilous as money. Yes, I know how hard we have to work for our money and I know it is a very big part of our lives. But this man is dying, and we know he is dying, and there is a doctor where he is right now who could just wheel him in and remove this tumor.

And that's what I would like to see happen. I want a surgical team to voluntarily go and help this man. That is what medicine is supposed to be all about. Not money, helping people. You know, it wasn't that long ago when doctors made about as much money as your local carpenter. Back then doctors were doctors because they wanted to help people. These days, I am sorry to say, it is just too much about the money. So if there is a qualified surgeon reading this please, just go help the man. And if this happens again to some helpless American citizen, go help him/her too. It isn't going to kill you to miss out on one or two giant paychecks now is it. And think of the publicity. Do it for the love of medicine and helping people. Not for the money.

And just like JDub said, as soon as he can walk, load him and his family on the next bus back home. He should be happy enough with his new lease on life to go and make a life in his home country. Or maybe even apply for real citizenship. Either way, help him and all the others whose lives you deem fit to throw away because of a lack of funds. You will be judged by your works, not your bank account.
Consider your self well done

All kidding aside: I may not agree with your point but I do respect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,197 posts, read 2,864,856 times
Reputation: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I have to agree. The only thing that bugs me is the many Americans who are in the same situation that will not be helped, mainly due to the media not covering their story. I think life is precious, even though this man broke the law, but I don't believe his life is more precious than the others that will be lost for the very same reason.
Agreed. That is why I wish we would all just advocate helping each other all the time, not just when it is the politically correct thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,197 posts, read 2,864,856 times
Reputation: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Consider your self well done

All kidding aside: I may not agree with your point but I do respect it.
Thanks AZ, I am glad you have not turned your back on me. Nothing has changed though, I still want this country freed from the grips of the illegal invading force. I just don't want this guy to die for lack of money, nor anyone else for that matter. I hope someone would write the same thing for me. But, then again, I doubt I would make the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,747,010 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
so we go ahead and let this man die? because we must sit on our high horse and look at this man as a leech. I know many americans that would help out this man's family. It's about life and death and not about his status.
Here's a suggestion for you. You pitch in $1,000 for his surgery and then we'll see if we can get others to donate too.

What...you can't afford to donate $1,000 to this poor, desperate man? But where's your compassion? Are you going to just let him die? Can't you sacrifice groceries for a couple of months, or skip a few car payments or mortgage payments? I mean, after all....where's YOUR compassion?

If the U.S. pays for this man's surgery, then where will it end? How many more "surgeries" and desperately sick people are going to make their way to the U.S. from Mexico in search of life-saving medical care?

That money comes out of YOUR pocket, as well as all the other tax-paying Americans. And while it would be very nice to be able to save all the sick and dying in Mexico, it simply isn't realistic. There are far too many Americans who are going without proper medical care; we can't take on Mexico's poor as well. And there is nothing hateful about acknowledging that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Well folks, they finally got me. Yes, I am actually going to say what you think I am going to say. I want this man to get his surgery. There, I said it. Now everyone who frequents this forum knows I am totally against amnesty and totally against the support of illegal aliens. But, I am a compassionate person and I don't think anyone should be left to suffer over something as frivilous as money. Yes, I know how hard we have to work for our money and I know it is a very big part of our lives. But this man is dying, and we know he is dying, and there is a doctor where he is right now who could just wheel him in and remove this tumor.

And that's what I would like to see happen. I want a surgical team to voluntarily go and help this man. That is what medicine is supposed to be all about. Not money, helping people. You know, it wasn't that long ago when doctors made about as much money as your local carpenter. Back then doctors were doctors because they wanted to help people. These days, I am sorry to say, it is just too much about the money. So if there is a qualified surgeon reading this please, just go help the man. And if this happens again to some helpless American citizen, go help him/her too. It isn't going to kill you to miss out on one or two giant paychecks now is it. And think of the publicity. Do it for the love of medicine and helping people. Not for the money.

And just like JDub said, as soon as he can walk, load him and his family on the next bus back home. He should be happy enough with his new lease on life to go and make a life in his home country. Or maybe even apply for real citizenship. Either way, help him and all the others whose lives you deem fit to throw away because of a lack of funds. You will be judged by your works, not your bank account.
I refuse to be guilt tripped by illegal aliens and IMO you haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. You simply do not. Do you honestly think that this surgery is going to be the end of this man's medical expenses?

Here's a novel idea. This man is a Mexican citizen, he is not a US citizen. I don't care how much sales tax he has paid while he has been here, he is in the US illegally. Contact the Mexican government and explain to them that one of THEIR citizens seems to have wandered into our country. He is very ill and needs very expensive surgery. If their citizen does not receive the surgery, he will die. We are willing to perform the surgery BUT they have to pay the bill. They need to send $100,000 to the University of Iowa Hospitals now. If they fail to do so, then it is their fault if their citizens dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Thanks AZ, I am glad you have not turned your back on me. Nothing has changed though, I still want this country freed from the grips of the illegal invading force. I just don't want this guy to die for lack of money, nor anyone else for that matter. I hope someone would write the same thing for me. But, then again,
Quote:
I doubt I would make the news
.
You already have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Well folks, they finally got me. Yes, I am actually going to say what you think I am going to say. I want this man to get his surgery. There, I said it. Now everyone who frequents this forum knows I am totally against amnesty and totally against the support of illegal aliens. But, I am a compassionate person and I don't think anyone should be left to suffer over something as frivilous as money. Yes, I know how hard we have to work for our money and I know it is a very big part of our lives. But this man is dying, and we know he is dying, and there is a doctor where he is right now who could just wheel him in and remove this tumor.

And that's what I would like to see happen. I want a surgical team to voluntarily go and help this man. That is what medicine is supposed to be all about. Not money, helping people. You know, it wasn't that long ago when doctors made about as much money as your local carpenter. Back then doctors were doctors because they wanted to help people. These days, I am sorry to say, it is just too much about the money. So if there is a qualified surgeon reading this please, just go help the man. And if this happens again to some helpless American citizen, go help him/her too. It isn't going to kill you to miss out on one or two giant paychecks now is it. And think of the publicity. Do it for the love of medicine and helping people. Not for the money.

And just like JDub said, as soon as he can walk, load him and his family on the next bus back home. He should be happy enough with his new lease on life to go and make a life in his home country. Or maybe even apply for real citizenship. Either way, help him and all the others whose lives you deem fit to throw away because of a lack of funds. You will be judged by your works, not your bank account.
Did you read the article? The surgeon has already agreed to waive his fee for the 12 hour procedure.

Quote:
The University of Iowa doctor qualified to perform the surgery has waived his fee for the 12-hour procedure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,197 posts, read 2,864,856 times
Reputation: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I refuse to be guilt tripped by illegal aliens and IMO you haven't a clue as to what you are talking about. You simply do not. Do you honestly think that this surgery is going to be the end of this man's medical expenses?

Here's a novel idea. This man is a Mexican citizen, he is not a US citizen. I don't care how much sales tax he has paid while he has been here, he is in the US illegally. Contact the Mexican government and explain to them that one of THEIR citizens seems to have wandered into our country. He is very ill and needs very expensive surgery. If their citizen does not receive the surgery, he will die. We are willing to perform the surgery BUT they have to pay the bill. They need to send $100,000 to the University of Iowa Hospitals now. If they fail to do so, then it is their fault if their citizens dies.
Are you a medical professional qualified to help this man or others? If not nobody tried to guilt trip you into doing anything so I suppose you might ought to rethink your retort. Also, please refrain from trying to tell me what I do and do not understand. Obviously the core of my statement transcends your level of understanding on a very human level. My statement was merely a call for medical professionals everywhere to help those who need help regardless of their monetary status. And while it's great to say Mexico should take care of it, we all know they aren't blowing up the phone lines to contact US officials. So it will be up to us to make the right decision when it comes to this dying man and all people in this type of situation.

If the Mexican government fails to help, they would indeed have failed their citizen. But we, as people, would also have failed this man. Sorry if I am not completely cold hearted just because the man doesn't have a green card. If this was a broken arm or an STD, I'd say ship him across the border and let him deal with his problems there. But this man will die without help, and we can help him.

And for the record, I am one of the most outspoken anti illegal users on this forum. My feelings on this subject do not change my views on illegals. I want them gone, and gone today. But I am not an inhuman monster who would condemn a man to die because he's from the wrong side of the tracks. But it's obvious you just don't have a clue. You simply do not.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 06-10-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,197 posts, read 2,864,856 times
Reputation: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Did you read the article? The surgeon has already agreed to waive his fee for the 12 hour procedure.
I scanned the article. Must of missed this line. Good for him though. A true doctor. This should be the norm for all in this sort of position, regardless of your status. Help those in need and you will be rewarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top