U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,726,417 times
Reputation: 1285

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I scanned the article. Must of missed this line. Good for him though. A true doctor. This should be the norm for all in this sort of position, regardless of your status. Help those in need and you will be rewarded.
Psst! Your average anesthesiologist already gives away about $50,000 in unreimbursed care each year. I cannot think of one single specialty where everyone is paid for everything they do.

'Regardless of your status' is a very slippery slope. An illegal alien who requires kidney dialysis is going to cost around $65,000 per year to treat. As you are fond of pointing out, if we do not treat him/her, they will die. This can go on for decades.

What do you think we should do in this case? This illegal alien woman has run up a bill of $2.2 million as of a year ago. She had received three liver transplants and needed a fourth, which she has no doubt received by now. "We can help" her? Sure, we already have been for over 15 years. At what point in time do you let the US taxpayers off the hook for her care or are we obligated to subsidize her forever? No one asked for her to be brought here. Her aunt deliberately brought her illegally to the US in order to take advantage of the US healthcare system.

Quote:
Ana Puente was an infant with a liver disorder when her aunt brought her illegally to the U.S. to seek medical care. She underwent two liver transplants at UCLA Medical Center as a child in 1989 and a third in 1998, each paid for by the state.

But when Puente turned 21 last June, she aged out of her state-funded health insurance and was unable to continue treatment at UCLA.

This year, her liver began failing again and she was hospitalized at County-USC Medical Center. In her Medi-Cal application, a USC doctor wrote, "Her current clinical course is irreversible, progressive and will lead to death without another liver transplant." The application was denied.

The county gave her medication but does not have the resources to perform transplants.

Late last month Puente learned of another, little-known option for patients with certain healthcare needs. If she notified U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services that she was in the country illegally, state health officials might grant her full Medi-Cal coverage. Puente did so, her benefits were restored and she is now awaiting a fourth transplant at UCLA.

Puente's case highlights two controversial issues: Should illegal immigrants receive liver transplants in the U.S. and should taxpayers pick up the cost?

The average cost of a liver transplant and first-year follow-up is nearly $490,000, and anti-rejection medications can run more than $30,000 annually, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing, which oversees transplantation nationwide.

Donor livers are also in scarce supply. In California, nearly 3,700 people are on a waiting list for livers, according to the network. Last year, 767 liver transplants were performed in the state. More than 90% of the organs were given to U.S. citizens.
Immigration debate hits home for liver transplant patients - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-liver13apr13,0,6444372.story - broken link)

Where do you want to draw the line? Are we supposed to provide 'free' medical care to anyone who can make it into the US? What about US citizens who need care and do not have money or insurance to pay for it? Any given hospital can only write off so much care each year and remain financially viable. When the U of I hospital writes off the $100,000 for this guy's surgery, that is less reduced rate or 'charity care' that can be given to other patients. And when a hospital suffer serious financial problems, the MD are not the ones really being hurt most of the time. It is the lab tech, the RN, the orderly, the kitchen workers who will not get the raise they were entitled to or will have their hours cut. While the concept of free lifesaving care for anyone regardless of status sound nice, the devil is in the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 1,751,997 times
Reputation: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Are you a medical professional qualified to help this man or others? If not nobody tried to guilt trip you into doing anything so I suppose you might ought to rethink your retort. Also, please refrain from trying to tell me what I do and do not understand. Obviously the core of my statement transcends your level of understanding on a very human level. My statement was merely a call for medical professionals everywhere to help those who need help regardless of their monetary status. And while it's great to say Mexico should take care of it, we all know they aren't blowing up the phone lines to contact US officials. So it will be up to us to make the right decision when it comes to this dying man and all people in this type of situation.

If the Mexican government fails to help, they would indeed have failed their citizen. But we, as people, would also have failed this man. Sorry if I am not completely cold hearted just because the man doesn't have a green card. If this was a broken arm or an STD, I'd say shipping across the border and let him deal with his problems there. But this man will die without help, and we can help him.

And for the record, I am one of the most outspoken anti illegals user on this forum. My feelings on this subject do not change my views on illegals. I want them gone, and gone today. But I am not an inhuman monster who would condemn a man to die because he's from the wrong side of the tracks. But it's obvious you just don't have a clue. You simply do not.
I'm sorry, but your argument is completely unrealistic and idealistic. Do you KNOW how many American citizens die every year due to lack of medical care for life-threatening illnesses? WHERE are you when Americans who are uninsured are unable to get chemotherapy or life-saving drugs for diabetes and other life-threatening diseases? WHERE are you when insurance companies deny coverage to hard-working American citizens whose last hope is new and innovative treatment?

WHAT gives YOU the right to play the righteous hero and choose who you want to show mercy to?

How dare you infer that we who are opposed to providing care for this man are heartless monsters who would condemn a man to die because he is from Mexico. Can you NOT see the reality here? Do you NOT understand that it is completely WRONG to provide 100% free life-saving medical care to a person who has no legal right to be in this country when AMERICANS are denied this very type of life-saving care every day?

You really need to rethink your stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 03:56 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 994,794 times
Reputation: 369
Why wasn't Ana Puente deported after her first, or even second transplant? Why was she allowed to remain here until she needed transplant number three, let alone number four?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,107,840 times
Reputation: 2244
for the same reason several of those babies burned in that mexican day care are recieving services and medical help in sacramento.

because the medical attention is as good as it is here.

at least thats what the argument is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
Why wasn't Ana Puente deported after her first, or even second transplant? Why was she allowed to remain here until she needed transplant number three, let alone number four?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,726,417 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
for the same reason several of those babies burned in that mexican day care are recieving services and medical help in sacramento.

because the medical attention is as good as it is here.

at least thats what the argument is.
The Shriner's Hospital had agreed to cover the cost of the children's care prior to their arrival in the US. That is an entirely different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,731,216 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
for the same reason several of those babies burned in that mexican day care are recieving services and medical help in sacramento.

because the medical attention is as good as it is here.

at least thats what the argument is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The Shriner's Hospital had agreed to cover the cost of the children's care prior to their arrival in the US. That is an entirely different situation.
As andreabeth stated.

Said Mexican national children were brought here legally from Mexico proper for medical care.

That I can support 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,107,840 times
Reputation: 2244
but the idea is the same.

they will argue that to send her to mexico would be a death sentence. the medical attention she can recieve here is "superior" to that in her home country.

im not agreeing with this. im just letting you know the thought process. its all based on humanitarian principles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The Shriner's Hospital had agreed to cover the cost of the children's care prior to their arrival in the US. That is an entirely different situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 01:37 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
147 posts, read 186,847 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
When did or have I ever said I support Illegal's? My respects to them, but that doesnt mean I support them.

and average Americans are just that Average! everybody just assumes everything will get handed to them. Why not go out and get what they want. As for affording health care there have always been health insurance. for just pennies a day.



Well, you just said it, they are opposed, but its all talk and no action, thats why illegals take away all CA's residents benefits. and yet they just SIT HERE typing about it, instead of talking to city councilmen, think about that whats easier complaining about it online where nothing will get done, or taking the fight to city hall?

What makes you think you have even the slightest idea about anyone here. You have no idea what our daily lives entail nor what we do or do not do for our causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top