U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:00 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,831,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President Obama has pledged his support for reform that includes a path to citizenship for the undocumented. At the same time, his administration has not done nearly enough to moderate enforcement policies that unfairly target citizens and legal residents — often because they are Hispanic — while feeding the fear and hopelessness of illegal immigrants as they await the opportunity to get right with the law.

The Department of Homeland Security has been pressing ahead with the old Bush administration playbook of tightening the screws on the 12 million undocumented, particularly by lengthening the long arm of local law enforcement. Make no mistake: Stronger and more effective immigration enforcement should be a pillar of any reform plan. But stricter enforcement must be coupled with a path to legalization. And poorly designed enforcement without stringent checks on errors and abuse is a remedy worse than the disease.

Despite community outrage over racial profiling and indiscriminate “crime sweeps” in Maricopa County, Ariz., by the notorious sheriff, Joe Arpaio, he remains a member in good standing of Ms. Napolitano’s enforcement team.

Any blanket checks of arrestees, both innocent and guilty, could easily provide cover to police departments that use neighborhood sweeps and mass arrests as a pretext to “cleanse” communities of unwanted immigrants — not just violent criminals, but harmless housekeepers, day laborers and gardeners.

There is a grim contradiction at work here, with the Obama administration simultaneously, and self-destructively, twisting the dials of hope and fear.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/op...fri2.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 AM

23,627 posts, read 31,246,066 times
No shamnesty, no path to citizenship. Pay the penalty for being illegal, go home, and try to immigrate the legal way. If you cannot, then stay home. We owe you nothing. Fix your own country.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,907,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No shamnesty, no path to citizenship. Pay the penalty for being illegal, go home, and try to immigrate the legal way. If you cannot, then stay home. We owe you nothing. Fix your own country.
Your statement pretty much sums up how the vast majority of Americans feel. We've stopped the last 3 middle of the night sneak attacks of their "pathway to citizenship" and we can do it again. C-Span is a God send as they televise the bills and how the crooks in government vote.

The key is consistently writing, calling and faxing all of the representatives to give voice to our stance. We must remain diligent and consistently let them know that we will not agree to another amnesty.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:17 AM

23,627 posts, read 31,246,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Your statement pretty much sums up how the vast majority of Americans feel. We've stopped the last 3 middle of the night sneak attacks of their "pathway to citizenship" and we can do it again. C-Span is a God send as they televise the bills and how the crooks in government vote.

The key is consistently writing, calling and faxing all of the representatives to give voice to our stance. We must remain diligent and consistently let them know that we will not agree to another amnesty.
I do, but my congressman is Pete Sessions. I do not agree with him on everything but he has a solid anti-illegal record.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:28 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/op...fri2.html?_r=1

Quote:
The Department of Homeland Security has been pressing ahead with the old Bush administration playbook of tightening the screws on the 12 million undocumented, particularly by lengthening the long arm of local law enforcement. Make no mistake: Stronger and more effective immigration enforcement should be a pillar of any reform plan. But stricter enforcement must be coupled with a path to legalization. And poorly designed enforcement without stringent checks on errors and abuse is a remedy worse than the disease.

Despite community outrage over racial profiling and indiscriminate “crime sweeps” in Maricopa County, Ariz., by the notorious sheriff, Joe Arpaio, he remains a member in good standing of Ms. Napolitano’s enforcement team.
Damn treasonous UnAmerican Libs (and Neo-Cons).

If anything: enforcement needs to be tightened down even further on illegal aliens-----------as I have commented on in the past: they are criminals and need to be treated as such.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,416,011 times
I agree that we need to secure our border first and I think there has been an improvement on this. More needs to be done. However, more than ever, I feel confident that we will legalize them.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:02 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,665,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I agree that we need to secure our border first and I think there has been an improvement on this. More needs to be done. However, more than ever, I feel confident that we will legalize them.
Looking at our sour economy and growing prejudice against illegals............I think not.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:17 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,416,011 times
Our economy is getting better and certainly polititians are smart to understand that their work is cost effective and actually help the economy.

Not all are prejudice. I know a lot more people that are not than those that do. Besides, people are getting tired of the problem and want a fix, no matter the outcome.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:27 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,907,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I do, but my congressman is Pete Sessions. I do not agree with him on everything but he has a solid anti-illegal record.
Mine are Durbin and Burris (who replaced Obama). Durbin authored the DREAMAct and Obama cosponsored it. Despite that grim reality, I recently spent time with Durbin and presented evidence contrary to his political stance that illegal aliens and DREAMIes should be granted amnesty. While he may publicly appear as a staunch ally to the ethnocentric racists and their demands, privately, his ignorance in terms of the schemes, lies and deceit of illegal aliens and their offspring was more than obvious. Not only was he stunned, but much of the time he remained stoic and speechless.

There is never a legitimate reason to defend the indefensible. Which is why the race card has outlived it's usefulness and effectiveness. Granting amnesty to millions of unidentified criminal aliens would be nothing less than an act of suicidal insanity.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 06-06-2009 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,831,384 times
Quote:
Quote:
Our economy is getting better and certainly polititians are smart to understand that their work is cost effective and actually help the economy.

Not all are prejudice. I know a lot more people that are not than those that do. Besides, people are getting tired of the problem and want a fix, no matter the outcome.
Greed, not need, is the impetus for illegal immigration. Therefore, why would the greedy employers want their cheap labor legalized? They realize a legal workforce would entail compliance with DOL, IRS, and other federal and state laws and regulations. They would no longer have their cheap labor and the profits they enjoy by not paying taxes, insurance, and decent wages. No, it’s simply a ploy to keep illegals hopeful.

I am convinced they will continue to stall, and we will continue to have thousands of foreigners entering our country at will. There will be no amnesty; only more “vows” to reach a compromise that will lead to a path to citizenship. It has been almost 2 years since they attempted to pass the last CIR, and it will probably be another 2 years before they attempt it again. They don’t have time to tackle it this year, and next year is an election year, so they won’t touch it with a 10-foot pole. We are all being duped.

I agree we need this problem resolved pronto. However, amnesty is not an option the vast majority of citizens will support. A guest worker program that requires them to return home after a specified period is the most illegals can hope for. They don’t need to become citizens of this country simply to work here. After all, most illegals have no interest in citizenship. They simply want to reap the benefits of living in this country. Those we don’t need for employment purposes will simply have to return home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration