Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:28 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,507,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
President Barack Obama is postponing a key meeting with immigration reform stakeholders because of a scheduling conflict.

The meeting with top lawmakers and advocacy groups was originally set for June 8 but is now being rescheduled for June 17. A White House spokesman said the postponement is because of the president’s travel schedule.

“The president is inviting a small group of bipartisan Senate and House leaders on the immigration issue to the White House for a meeting to have an honest discussion of the issues, identify areas of agreement, and areas where we still have work to do,” said the White House aide.

Obama has signaled support for discussions on comprehensive immigration reform this year but not for passing legislation. That sentiment was conveyed in the statement given by his spokesman Wednesday: “The meeting is intended to launch a policy conversation, with the hope of beginning the debate in earnest later this year.”

“I know that comprehensive immigration reform is a priority for all of you. It is also a priority for President Obama. We all agree that we need immigration reform that will keep our country safe, reunite families, protect workers, meet our economic needs, and have a pathway to legalization,” Pelosi said.
Obama Delays Immigration Meeting; Members Await Invitations - Roll Call
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,377,989 times
I think we should legalize all 20 million of them, including the ones that are in jail, in accordance with the provisions listed below:

1. Each member of congress in favor of amnesty will agree to sign an affidavit equally dividing up the number of illegal aliens and taking physical custody, financial, and moral responsibility for their new family members and any offspring that they reproduce, throughout their life time.

2. They must agree to build homes for and live with their new family members in gated communities so that they can all live as a cohesive unit.

3. They must be responsible for them learning English, finding work, paying their taxes and never becoming a burden to the American taxpayers.

4. They must be responsible for providing any and all food, educational costs and medical bills of their new family members.

5. They will be solely and financially responsible for any costs incurred during the lifetime of their new family members. No: medical, educational costs, welfare, food stamps, section 8, interpreters, jail costs, or legal fees will ever be funded by taxpayers.

If they want amnesty for them, then let them live amongst and bare sole responsibility for them.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I think we should legalize all 20 million of them, including the ones that are in jail, in accordance with the provisions listed below:

1. Each member of congress in favor of amnesty will agree to sign an affidavit equally dividing up the number of illegal aliens and taking physical custody, financial, and moral responsibility for their new family members and any offspring that they reproduce, throughout their life time.

2. They must agree to build homes for and live with their new family members in gated communities so that they can all live as a cohesive unit.

3. They must be responsible for them learning English, finding work, paying their taxes and never becoming a burden to the American taxpayers.

4. They must be responsible for providing any and all food, educational costs and medical bills of their new family members.

5. They will be solely and financially responsible for any costs incurred during the lifetime of their new family members. No: medical, educational costs, welfare, food stamps, section 8, interpreters, jail costs, or legal fees will ever be funded by taxpayers.

If they want amnesty for them, then let them live amongst and bare sole responsibility for them.
EXCELLENT idea! I think you should forward this to Congress.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
EXCELLENT idea! I think you should forward this to Congress.
I do believe I will. Gee, do you think they'll have second thoughts?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:19 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,148,977 times
So what is your point?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
So what is your point?
This is an update on the much-publicized immigration reform meeting. Do you have a problem with this?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,327,758 times
JDubsMom,
I wanted to give you a rep point, but I must spread some around. Good idea and I hope you do send it to Congress.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
JDubsMom,
I wanted to give you a rep point, but I must spread some around. Good idea and I hope you do send it to Congress.
Thanks grammy it's the thought that counts! I am thinking of sending it, if nothing else it might make them realize how ridiculous they are.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:03 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,411,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

I have to say, in all fairness that this is one of the best posts I've read from you on the subject.

I believe that could be a compromise a real compromise. I'd give you rept points but i need to spread more love around, but take this symbolic rep point pz maam

Respect!

Old 06-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I have to say, in all fairness that this is one of the best posts I've read from you on the subject.

I believe that could be a compromise a real compromise.

Regards

Dream on TF. We all know that politicians would rather die and go to hell than put their money where their mouths are.

But thank you for the compliment just the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration