U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:38 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,419,364 times

Advertisements

I thought I should give you guys an update on the Iowa meat packing company that had the largest raid in US history.

Quote:
Today the population of Postville has shrunk by 40 percent and its tax base has been destroyed. Less than 50 Latinos remain out of a former population of more than 1,000, most of them formerly detained illegals ordered to testify in the Sept. 15 trial. About 250 Jews also remain, unable to sell their homes. About half are Lubavitchers, some of whom are worried, Goldsmith reports, that they will not be rehired by the plant’s new owners, SHF Industries, a company formed in May by Canadian plastics manufacturer Hershey Friedman. Lubavitch shechita is increasingly unpopular in many Orthodox circles because of concerns regarding Chabad Messianism.
This is a direct result of this...

Quote:
In a final, nine-point lesson list, the authors demand an overhaul of the country’s immigration policy, more help from government and industry for towns struggling with the effects of globalization, and ways to compel industries and organizations that deal with immigrants to adhere to “the highest ethical, legal and humane standards.” But so long as Americans continue to demand cheap food, they write, little will change.

“Many Americans are in absolute denial that the bulk of their processed and packaged food comes from illegal labor,” says Devlin. “It’s a triangle: employers who want maximum profit, workers who need the work, and consumers who want cheap food."
New Postville book blames feds, globalization for town’s collapse | JTA - Jewish & Israel News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 04:45 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,419,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Apparently, Prince William County, VA has no regrets. After enacting stringent anti-illegal laws, illegals fled their county, and the results are positive. Unfortunately, they didn’t return home, they simply relocated across the river to Maryland.

Crackdown on illegals produces crime decline
I remember there was a thread here on this forum where another forumer posted stats. Stats showed that only a small number out of those percentages were actually illegal immigrants.

Here is the link to that story.

Crackdown on illegals produces crime decline

Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I thought I should give you guys an update on the Iowa meat packing company that had the largest raid in US history.

This is a direct result of this...

New Postville book blames feds, globalization for town’s collapse | JTA - Jewish & Israel News
I have no sympathy for Postville's greed-------------it came back and bit them in the butt.

And; it is pretty damn bad when the 'mainline' Orthodox Jews look with askance towards the Lubavitchers since Jewish people of all stripes tend to 'circle the wagons' when threatened-------------for very good historical reasons.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM

61,048 posts, read 30,920,355 times
This is the link your looking for??

A New View of Vacant Houses - washingtonpost.com

Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,931,891 times
So we have a town that based its income on the exploitation of illegals and now that the illegals have been rounded up and deported they are crying a river. Well cry me a river next time hire legals pay a reasonable wage and have some self respect.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,952,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So we have a town that based its income on the exploitation of illegals and now that the illegals have been rounded up and deported they are crying a river. Well cry me a river next time hire legals pay a reasonable wage and have some self respect.
I agree !

I am fed up with packing plants and poultry processing plants who lure illegals to come here.( all industry, but this industry is notorious for hiring illegals )

They act so innocent and surprised when there is a raid.

Simple solution----------announce to your workers that ICE is gonna be coming tomorrow and fire the workers who miss work that day.

I realize you might lose 50% of your workforce, but you never should have had the advantage of ILLEGAL workers while you compete for business in the US .

Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 PM

23,636 posts, read 31,299,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I agree !

I am fed up with packing plants and poultry processing plants who lure illegals to come here.( all industry, but this industry is notorious for hiring illegals )

They act so innocent and surprised when there is a raid.

Simple solution----------announce to your workers that ICE is gonna be coming tomorrow and fire the workers who miss work that day.

I realize you might lose 50% of your workforce, but you never should have had the advantage of ILLEGAL workers while you compete for business in the US .
I second that. Too bad! If the town is upset tell them to direct their outrage at the meat packing plant that hired illegal labor, not at ICE who are just doing their jobs.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 AM

32,957 posts, read 30,201,927 times
An illegal town, what's next? It sounds like the legal residents should have done some better sleuthing before buying. I also wonder how many were also using illegal labor?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM

11,102 posts, read 12,834,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Here is what you do not understand...an amnesty would be a temporary "fix", if you could even call it that. Our government amnestied millions of illegal immigrants in 1986 and we have many millions more now than what were amnestied then. Did that amnesty solve any problems? No, it encouraged MORE of them to come!!!!!!!!! Do you not see what an insane idea another amnesty is?

That one town failing due to an immigration raid means nothing. Who cares? They built their economy on people who should not have been here. Oh well. My city (Dallas) can certainly get by without them.
Good post

Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,370,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That one town failing due to an immigration raid means nothing. Who cares? They built their economy on people who should not have been here. Oh well. My city (Dallas) can certainly get by without them.
I care. A town who's economy fails is devistating for its residents and the state that it is in.

Plus our city (Dallas) is changing very rapidly because of the large amount of immigrants coming from Mexico and Central America. Dallas county lost almost 140,000 white residents between 2000 and 2007. We (however) gained almost 250,000 Latino residents. Dallas is becoming more international at a very fast pace. I personally think thats a good thing.

Like it or not, the stage is set for our city. I think the more people we can get from other countries the better. It makes things more diverse and exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration