Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I care. A town who's economy fails is devistating for its residents and the state that it is in.

Plus our city (Dallas) is changing very rapidly because of the large amount of immigrants coming from Mexico and Central America. Dallas county lost almost 140,000 white residents between 2000 and 2007. We (however) gained almost 250,000 Latino residents. Dallas is becoming more international at a very fast pace. I personally think thats a good thing.

Like it or not, the stage is set for our city. I think the more people we can get from other countries the better. It makes things more diverse and exciting.
If said immigrants come here legally; that I can accept--------illegals, most of whom happen to be some variety of Latino by default------they all need to leave the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:20 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,707 times
<<This is the town of Postville, Iowa where the largest immigration raid in US history took place. One year later, locals reevaluate. There are no businesses, some went bankrupt and many are moving out. Is this how you want your town to look? If there are no businesses, there are no jobs, no way to survive. >>

According to my Atlas, Postville has a population of 1,472, and is in a very rural area. Not exactly a bustling city. In the picture the street lights are on, so it must be evening. Most small towns this size don't have many people out and about at this time of day anyway, so the picture showing deserted streets doesn't mean much. I find it hard to believe there were enough illegal aliens living there to ruin the economy when they left. The town's economic woes are more likely due to the general atate of the economy, than to the deportation of illegal aliens.

<<I do think that most Americans rather look for blue collar jobs than work at a meat packing company,>>

Not nexessarily. The raids in GA and CO had many more citizens lining up for those jobs, than jobs available.

<<As to why the womans son was adopted --- I call bs on that one.>>

You're right. Pure BS. That calls into question the rest of the story. When it's obvious they're lying about one thing, they're probably lying about the rest.

Last edited by Yac; 08-05-2009 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
I care. A town who's economy fails is devistating for its residents and the state that it is in.

Plus our city (Dallas) is changing very rapidly because of the large amount of immigrants coming from Mexico and Central America. Dallas county lost almost 140,000 white residents between 2000 and 2007. We (however) gained almost 250,000 Latino residents. Dallas is becoming more international at a very fast pace. I personally think thats a good thing.

Like it or not, the stage is set for our city. I think the more people we can get from other countries the better. It makes things more diverse and exciting.
During the gold rush entire towns turned up empty, big deal. The people didn't vanish they simply relocated to where the money was.

Exciting? Is poverty exciting? We aren't gaining culture we are gaining people with nothing but the clothes on their backs who will live 10 to a house in the poorest barrios. That's exciting?

If we wnnted culture we would be inviting the educated, skilled workers from many regions not the poor from just a couple.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

This is the town of Postville, Iowa where the largest immigration raid in US history took place. One year later, locals reevaluate. There are no businesses, some went bankrupt and many are moving out. Is this how you want your town to look? If there are no businesses, there are no jobs, no way to survive.

How an immigration raid changed a town | csmonitor.com

FYI-I am not advocating for more illegal immigrants to enter this country. I am simply looking for the best solution to those that are already here and can help keep our economy going as well as keeping their families together as long as they are not violent criminals.

Postville Iowa, before the raid, could be the poster town for what is wrong in America.

Shame on any resident of Postvuille Iowa who tolerated what was going on before the raid, encouraged/promoted it, or profited by it.

Shame on you !

Old 08-07-2009, 05:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:

Replacing a whole bunch of white people with nothing but Hispanics does not make the city more diverse and international, it certainly does not make it more cosmopolitan. In fact the white people who the Hispanics replaced were probably a more diverse group, probably having ancestry from across Europe. There would be more linguistic, ethnic, and religious diversity in that group. The 250k Latinos who moved in are chiefly illegal immigrants from Mexico; Dallas is choked with illegals. Skilled legal immigrants tend to head straight for Valley Ranch, Richardson, or Plano (if they are Indian), Richardson or Plano (if they are Chinese), Garland or Richardson (if they are Vietnamese), etc. Do you see a pattern forming here?

The last thing we need is more unskilled illegals or, for that matter, preachy Californians. Do you even live in Dallas anyway or are you safely ensconced in Frisco or McKinney where few illegals make it up there, since there's no DART service? If you don't even live south of 190 I don't think you can have an informed opinion about this. I ask because Frisco and McKinney seem to be turning into tent cities for economic refugees from California. I hear they may even get a Trader Joe's up there soon. Sometimes I wonder not only what state I am in, but what country I am in. And we Texans get kind of tired of people who have already allowed their cities and their state to fall into ruin telling us how backwards we are and how we should strive to become more like California. Personally I think one of Texas's best attributes is that it is not like California, and that is just how we like it.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Replacing a whole bunch of white people with nothing but Hispanics does not make the city more diverse and international, it certainly does not make it more cosmopolitan. In fact the white people who the Hispanics replaced were probably a more diverse group, probably having ancestry from across Europe. There would be more linguistic, ethnic, and religious diversity in that group. The 250k Latinos who moved in are chiefly illegal immigrants from Mexico; Dallas is choked with illegals. Skilled legal immigrants tend to head straight for Valley Ranch, Richardson, or Plano (if they are Indian), Richardson or Plano (if they are Chinese), Garland or Richardson (if they are Vietnamese), etc. Do you see a pattern forming here?

The last thing we need is more unskilled illegals or, for that matter, preachy Californians. Do you even live in Dallas anyway or are you safely ensconced in Frisco or McKinney where few illegals make it up there, since there's no DART service? If you don't even live south of 190 I don't think you can have an informed opinion about this. I ask because Frisco and McKinney seem to be turning into tent cities for economic refugees from California. I hear they may even get a Trader Joe's up there soon. Sometimes I wonder not only what state I am in, but what country I am in. And we Texans get kind of tired of people who have already allowed their cities and their state to fall into ruin telling us how backwards we are and how we should strive to become more like California. Personally I think one of Texas's best attributes is that it is not like California, and that is just how we like it.
Three quick notes here:

#1: Your first paragraph is spot-on.
#2: Not all Californians are left wing Neo-Nazi's-----------some of them are true blue Americans.
#3: Someone will attempt to call you or I a White supremacist. I fire back; yes, I am extremely prejudiced----------against illegal aliens.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM

9 posts, read 7,143 times
Quote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0605/csmimg/CRAID_P1.jpg (broken link)

This is the town of Postville, Iowa where the largest immigration raid in US history took place. One year later, locals reevaluate. There are no businesses, some went bankrupt and many are moving out. Is this how you want your town to look? If there are no businesses, there are no jobs, no way to survive.

How an immigration raid changed a town | csmonitor.com

FYI-I am not advocating for more illegal immigrants to enter this country. I am simply looking for the best solution to those that are already here and can help keep our economy going as well as keeping their families together as long as they are not violent criminals.
hear hear!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 AM

537 posts, read 292,010 times
and how illegal immigrants can help keep our economy growing?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anke1 View Post
hear hear!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh well.

If Postville needed illegals to survive............perhaps said town needs to die.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
I thought I should give you guys an update on the Iowa meat packing company that had the largest raid in US history.

This is a direct result of this...

New Postville book blames feds, globalization for town’s collapse | JTA - Jewish & Israel News
No, it's a direct result of depending on only one industry to support the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration