Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Bad comparison. The illegal immigrants did not rob anyone. They worked for their living and as a matter of fact, they were exploited.
They paid they're fair share in taxes?
None used a false ID?
All were here on a VISA?
None took the job knowing that it was against our laws?
They rob us each and every one of them of social services.
How can you possibly say none stole anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 AM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
None used a false ID?
All were here on a VISA?

WOW, all of those interviewed say they came here for financial reasons. Who would go somewhere to work for less than they had before? I'd wager they made a boatload more money than they were making at home and I'd also bet their "living conditions" markedly improved.

They are dying to get in here not out.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Here are some stats from the raid...

It cost 5.2 million to arrest 389 people, in just one plant, one town, in the US.

900 ICE agents were used for this one operation alone.

Realistically looking at it, we cannot afford to have one of these in each town, for every business that hires illegals....not doable.

About
The problem with such stats is that they can be bent or twisted to reflect what ever the originator wants.
For example.900 agents were usedx their salary = ?
However the fact remains that those 900 agents would have received their salary regardless of a raid.
However, I do believe that anyone who knowingly hires an illegal should be punished to the max.
I also believe that the illegals should have any and all assets attained while here illegally siezed to help offset the cost of deportation.
Remove the reward from both ends.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Quote:
Bad comparison. The illegal immigrants did not rob anyone. They worked for their living and as a matter of fact, they were exploited.
Being a criminal comes with its 'perks', shall we say.

Had the illegals remained home------------they would not have been exploited here. Besides: being 'exploited' here equaled $$$ compared to at least Mexico.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 AM

36,226 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
First of all, I saw the picture and I did not see 800+ immigrants. Can you please post the newspaper article so I can believe you, please. Thanks
You cant get 800 people in one photo. The article is about a yr. old. You can try to look it up. It was in the Hilltop Express which is a small local paper.

Quote:
Also, you are on a complete different forum now. When someone is seeking dual citizenship in this country, it means that they are perfectly legal and want to re-establish citizenship in their home country. That is dual citizenship.
The duel citizenship is in registering their children that were born after they entered the country illegally. They are also applying for passports and Guatemalan citizenship IDs.

Quote:
If they were in line to establish legal status in this country, I would believe they are illegal, which according to your first post, it is not. Come again.
I dont believe I said they were in line to establish legal status in this country. I dont believe I said one way or another about their legal status, but givin they are applying for duel citizenship for their children, passports and Guatemalan IDs, I would assume illegal.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 AM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
The problem with such stats is that they can be bent or twisted to reflect what ever the originator wants.
However the fact remains that those 900 agents would have received their salary regardless of a raid.
However, I do believe that anyone who knowingly hires an illegal should be punished to the max.
I also believe that the illegals should have any and all assets attained while here illegally siezed to help offset the cost of deportation.
Just like Fire Departments can charge for a rescue the BP/DHD should be able to charge these illegal businesses, which they are if using illegal labor.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,035,671 times
Quote:
None used a false ID?
All were here on a VISA?
No, I cant say that for a fact. However, ICE did determine some should stay and most should be deported. In the new raids ICE do release those that have not commited felonies. I also cant speak specifically on paying taxes for this group but there are many illegal immigrants that do pay taxes. Is it a fair share? I ask...do they get a fair wage?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
And why shouldnt we count their salaries? We count the salaries of prison guards when we take into account how much it costs to house an inmate, which BTW, now days runs approximately 50K.

But then again, maybe it took this one massive raid to set the example. I honestly dont think that we have the resources to keep doing this on an every day. Not only do we not have enough ICE agents to go around, but we lack the budget.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You cant get 800 people in one photo. The article is about a yr. old. You can try to look it up. It was in the Hilltop Express which is a small local paper.

The duel citizenship is in registering their children that were born after they entered the country illegally. They are also applying for passports and Guatemalan citizenship IDs.

I dont believe I said they were in line to establish legal status in this country. I dont believe I said one way or another about their legal status, but givin they are applying for duel citizenship for their children, passports and Guatemalan IDs, I would assume illegal.
The fact of the matter is that this still remains a legal issue and not illegal. Save it for Legal Immigration. The parents of a child who are here illegally, find it meaningless to get citizenship from Guatemala for their children being that they are illegal and cant take their children to Guatemala with permission to return back to the States. If the illegal parent had any intention of taking their children to Guatemala to stay, they could actually get dual citizenship for them much easier in their country. What use would citizenship from Guatemala have for a US born child? The child cannot vote. Unless the parent buys property, at which I would say, it would make sense for the parent to wait until their child becomes an adult to follow the legal process and obtain property rights. Again, I dont believe your story, but you can prove that they are illegal and over 800 of them by posting the article, if you wish.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
And why shouldnt we count their salaries? We count the salaries of prison guards when we take into account how much it costs to house an inmate, which BTW, now days runs approximately 50K.

But then again, maybe it took this one massive raid to set the example. I honestly dont think that we have the resources to keep doing this on an every day. Not only do we not have enough ICE agents to go around, but we lack the budget.
Because it is not an additional expense. Using your example. Yes we count a prison guards salary as that is what they are specificly hired to do. But we don't say because that prison jails drug dealers add an additional cost for guards. No that prison already had those guards. They were being paid anyway. But if someone wanted to exagerate the costs to justify not putting drug dealers in prison they would use the salary as an expense, which it in reality is not an additional expense. Those ICE agents are on the books regardless of the raid they participated in. They just happened to actually earn their pay on this occasion.
The costs of raids. Much of which should be paid for by those who hire illegals and by siezing the assets of the illegals. After all they earned the money illegally. Not all any different than say someone who sees a lawn mower in someones yard, steals it and uses it to cut other peoples lawns for money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration