U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:20 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,415,542 times

Advertisements

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0605/csmimg/CRAID_P1.jpg (broken link)

This is the town of Postville, Iowa where the largest immigration raid in US history took place. One year later, locals reevaluate. There are no businesses, some went bankrupt and many are moving out. Is this how you want your town to look? If there are no businesses, there are no jobs, no way to survive.

How an immigration raid changed a town | csmonitor.com

FYI-I am not advocating for more illegal immigrants to enter this country. I am simply looking for the best solution to those that are already here and can help keep our economy going as well as keeping their families together as long as they are not violent criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 04:43 AM

147 posts, read 186,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

This is the town of Postville, Iowa where the largest immigration raid in US history took place. One year later, locals reevaluate. There are no businesses, some went bankrupt and many are moving out. Is this how you want your town to look? If there are no businesses, there are no jobs, no way to survive.

FYI-I am not advocating for more illegal immigrants to enter this country. I am simply looking for the best solution to those that are already here and can help keep our economy going as well as keeping their families together as long as they are not violent criminals.
Can I just ask you a serious question? Do you thin that a person who entered this country with complete disregard for the law, would have any respect for this country and its' laws? I know these people are poor and deprived in their own countries, but then ends do not justify the means. How about the other conditions that are created by them being here?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:29 AM

23,625 posts, read 31,237,055 times
Quote:

Here is what you do not understand...an amnesty would be a temporary "fix", if you could even call it that. Our government amnestied millions of illegal immigrants in 1986 and we have many millions more now than what were amnestied then. Did that amnesty solve any problems? No, it encouraged MORE of them to come!!!!!!!!! Do you not see what an insane idea another amnesty is?

That one town failing due to an immigration raid means nothing. Who cares? They built their economy on people who should not have been here. Oh well. My city (Dallas) can certainly get by without them.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:07 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,662,080 times
Quote:

Since our official unemployment rate is ca. 9.5% and growing: that bit about Postville unable to find replacement help I do not believe----------assuming that the employer was willing to pay appropriate wages.

Face it: Americans/green card holders (including Mexicans) have rights under our First World society and do not have to accept flagrantly dangerous working conditions, etc. that may be acceptable SoB, etc.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,906,985 times
Quote:

Your implication that we should reward illegal aliens citizenship simply because they have successfully broke into America and managed to fly beneath the radar is nothing less than advocating amnesty.

Speaking of separating familias?

Where is your concern for the children and other family members that illegal aliens had no problem leaving behind without so much as a wave goodbye? Could it be that they don't really care about those children they left behind in mexico because they don't qualify as a source of income or a pathway to citizenship?

As for our economy? It isn't exactly "going."

Quote:
Number Of Americans With Jobless Claims Hits 5.1M

CBS News Interactive: On The Job

Timeline: U.S. Credit Crunch & Financial Failures (http://wcbstv.com/business/credit.crisis.timeline.2.818699.html - broken link)New jobless claims rose more than expected last week and the number of Americans continuing to receive unemployment benefits has topped 5.1 million, fresh evidence the recession is increasingly forcing employers to shed jobs.

The Labor Department said Thursday that first-time requests for unemployment benefits jumped to 667,000 from the previous week's figure of 631,000. Analysts had expected a slight drop in claims.
Number Of Unemployed Americans Claiming Jobless Benefits Tops 5.1 Million - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/national/unemployment.rate.retail.2.944471.html - broken link)
Prior to the massive hoards of illegal aliens invading factories, America had a blue collar work force in place. I'm sure those unemployed Americans would love to have their jobs back. Thus, legalization of millions of criminal illegal aliens is not a necessary evil for America to survive. Once they are deported forcefully or through attrition (including DREAMies) America can and will return to a lawful, industrious society.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:25 PM

83 posts, read 120,542 times
All I want to know is how much the crime rate went down?

Another interesting tidbit might be how much money the state saved in not having to pay out welfare and medical benefits to all of these "undocumented" people?

Old 06-07-2009, 03:37 PM

435 posts, read 536,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
All I want to know is how much the crime rate went down?

Another interesting tidbit might be how much money the state saved in not having to pay out welfare and medical benefits to all of these "undocumented" people?

Illegal aliens cannot get welfare or medical benefits can you please get that thru your heads. Now the town has become a southdown town. No hispanics legal or illegal.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:37 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,583,972 times
Quote:
That one town failing due to an immigration raid means nothing. Who cares? They built their economy on people who should not have been here. Oh well. My city (Dallas) can certainly get by without them.
Anyone who breaks the law for their own personal profits doesn't deserve to succeed.

Last edited by antireconquista; 06-07-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,583,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Illegal aliens cannot get welfare or medical benefits can you please get that thru your heads.
Female illegal aliens just have to impregnate themselves and then use their children to get section 8 housing, welfare checks, food stamps etc.

Illegal aliens don't get medical benefits? Really?
http://www.judicialwatch.org/http%3A//www.corruptionchronicles.com/2007/05/mexico_promotes_free_us_health_1.html (broken link)

Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM

83 posts, read 120,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Illegal aliens cannot get welfare or medical benefits can you please get that thru your heads. Now the town has become a southdown town. No hispanics legal or illegal.
You obviously do not live in California or maybe you are just choosing not to educate yourself.

Welfare and medical benefits are available to illegals. Any illegal can walk into a public hospital, run up over a million dollars in bills and leave. Female illegals only have to run over here in their 8th month of pregnancy to make sure the kid is born on American soil and they are then able to draw alllllll kinds of benefits off of the system...and they do.

There are tons of pamphlets and flyers being handed out by groups like La Raza to instruct illegal aliens how to apply for state benefits, how to get free rent, basically how to rape the system with as little effort as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration