U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 PM

2,088 posts, read 2,186,918 times

Advertisements

Wow, North Korea sentenced Laura Ling and Euna Lee to 12 years in their gulags for illegally crossing their border from China. I have seen documentaries on NK prison camps. This is basically a death sentence.

And the pro-illegals say the United States is inhumane? All we want is for the illegals to go home and apply for residence legally.

The illegals don't know how good they have it to be able to sneak into this country.

Laura Ling, Euna Lee Sentenced To 12 Years Prison In North Korea - KTXL (http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-lauralingsentenced0607,0,1722709.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:07 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Wow, North Korea sentenced Laura Ling and Euna Lee to 12 years in their gulags for illegally crossing their border from China. I have seen documentaries on NK prison camps. This is basically a death sentence.

And the pro-illegals say the United States is inhumane? All we want is for the illegals to go home and apply for residence legally.

The illegals don't know how good they have it to be able to sneak into this country.

Laura Ling, Euna Lee Sentenced To 12 Years Prison In North Korea - KTXL (http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-news-lauralingsentenced0607,0,1722709.story - broken link)
No joke there.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 AM

23,005 posts, read 31,965,939 times
Quote:

This may be the first time ever i'll sympathize with someone who crosses a border illegally and believe they should be let off. I doubt that anyone would even think about crossing our border if we had laws like North Korea. I'm not suggesting it i'm just saying.

These women are going to go through serious h&%$ and our illegals whine about get comfortable beds and good food even in immigration holding facilities.

Bostonian, do you have a link to any videos about North Korea jails? I'm almost scared to even look at what these girls will go through.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Very true, most countries have immigration and border laws. It's not the same throughout the world and crossing illegally over other borders has consequences.

I believe only the USA actually rewards these acts.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Another instance of "western guilt" at work. The North Koreans, we say, can 'do this'.....(act that way...treat people that way....mistreat foreigners), because...well, I suppose because "It's their country....they have their reasons....and when all is said and done, 'that's just the way they ARE' "
In short, North Korea gets little notice by 'acting that way', because that's the way we EXPECT them to act...they're North Koreans.

Meanwhile, the US is NOT to act that way...because we're "better than that", more "enlightened", and OUR country really belongs to the whole world, ANY way...(and of course, we're ALL immigrants anyway, so none of us have a 'right' to be here any more than the newest illegal).

So there you have it..once again, Western guilt, which states that the U.S. is culpable for the mistreatment of its illegals, while the North Koreans are not....because "they're THEM, and we're US". Two sets of standards. Is this a case of excessive guilt on our part..or is it a backward form of 'soft bigotry' (i.e., the North Koreans can't HELP the way they act, because they don't have the morals that we do). Either way, it's a huge contradiction.

And aside from the silliness of the ABOVE argument, I'll also add that even if we allow SOME parallels, we could get a WHOLE LOT more abusive toward our 20 million illegals before we even come CLOSE to the level of 'abuse' seen in North Korea toward their 10..(or maybe 11).

One more silly attempt to tie in the actions of the US with those of the dregs of Third World dictatorships. You make a silly comparison, you'll get some silly comments. Yes, that's right...might as well say it.."Both the USA and North Korea are examples of xenophobic societies which fail to allow other cultures to flourish, and intimidate and abuse foreigners" The sad thing is, the extreme silliness of that statement is not TOO far from some of the SERIOUS statements I've seen right here on this "enlightened" forum in the "enlightened" USA. We really do judge ourselves harshly at times. A conscience is a fine thing...but excessive, overreaching guilt is not. It's dishonest and nothing but a form of soft racism and a sort of narcissism.

Last edited by macmeal; 06-08-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 AM

291 posts, read 353,300 times
VICE Guide to North Korea - Video

Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM

4,273 posts, read 7,889,300 times
Quote:

Well, the "pro-illegals" would probably acknowledge the harshness of North Korea and even Mexico to their illegal immigrants, but still say the US needs to change what it is doing.

AFAIK North Korea is happy to accept any defectors from the south. I don't think too many people from the south defect.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:36 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,120,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAndBroke View Post
North Korea is one mass societal mind fark! I just watched parts 1, 2, and 3 of that North Korea video and I gotta tell you that I have a feeling all of the citizens of that nation have some kind of Jim Jones suicide pact with the government that if anything happens and their borders are breached that there's a little cyanide pill for them to consume before the "Imperialist Americans" invade their country.

That has got to be the most bizarre video set I have seen in a long time, and I have watched CNN documentaries on North Korea but this one disturbed the heck out of me.

Still, no birds in the sky either. What I read years ago about N. Korea not having many (if any) birds flying around is still true.

I'm going to say a silent prayer right now for Laura and Euna.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,467,232 times
Those women were in the country illegally, but they were NOT immigrants. They were only there for temporary news purposes, not to move in.

Had they indeed been on the wrong side of the border, they should have known the consequences would not be favorable for them.

It's too bad, but they were very, very wrong.

Now if we were that stringent on entry laws, we'd be doing well and doing it WITHOUT illegals.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:23 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Those women were in the country illegally, but they were NOT immigrants. They were only there for temporary news purposes, not to move in.

Had they indeed been on the wrong side of the border, they should have known the consequences would not be favorable for them.

It's too bad, but they were very, very wrong.

Now if we were that stringent on entry laws, we'd be doing well and doing it WITHOUT illegals.
In all fairness; how far did those two women wander across the border (if at all), rhetorically speaking? If by a few feet; 12 years of hard time is ridiculous unless there was actual spying involved.

Why I ask is N Korea has not exactly been forthcoming concerning many of the details of this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration