U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Ellis Island opened in 1880, 14 years after the 14th Amendment. There were no restrictions on immigration to the US prior to the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.
Good point.

Although; oceans were quite the deterrent to illegal immigration since people still had to contend with (usually) New York and to a lesser extent New Orleans. And prior to ca. 1870, only White immigrants people (define 'White', I know) were allowed to receive US citizenship--------which probably kept out many Mestizos.

Needless to say: the Immigration Act of 1965 needs to be repealed to eliminate chain migration, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Good point.

Although; oceans were quite the deterrent to illegal immigration since people still had to contend with (usually) New York and to a lesser extent New Orleans.
Also San Francisco.

Quote:
And prior to ca. 1870, only White immigrants people (define 'White', I know) were allowed to receive US citizenship--------which probably kept out many Mestizos.
It didn't keep out mestizos or Asians, if it did there would have been no Chinese Exclusion Act nor other laws against Asian immigration.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 PM

470 posts, read 508,193 times
Quote:
Good point.

Although; oceans were quite the deterrent to illegal immigration since people still had to contend with (usually) New York and to a lesser extent New Orleans. And prior to ca. 1870, only White immigrants people (define 'White', I know) were allowed to receive US citizenship--------which probably kept out many Mestizos.

Needless to say: the Immigration Act of 1965 needs to be repealed to eliminate chain migration, etc.
Bingo.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:28 AM

147 posts, read 186,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
One of our users showed me this article, she was reluctant to post it but I thought it was a good idea to shed some light on what goes on in Mexico regarding illegal immigrants, the problems they face, the reasons that lure them here and the different opinions from those that support them and create groups to help them and those who see them as a threat.

I hope that people who watch it do it with an open mind, the intention is to spark a mature debate.

Immigrants stream across Mexico's southern border | Worldfocus

This was an interesting piece on many levels. I truly feel soory for the people who have been mistreated and I understand the motivation of wanting to migrate. A couple of things though, I think that people are aware of the many risks that they may encounter and it's a personal decision to take that risk. The irony of the situation baffles me. Mexico faces the same immigration problems that they pose, key difference is that the mexican government does not hand out social services the way this country does. Many of the Mexicans in this piece are leaving there to come here, leaving "scraps" to the South Americans, however it is not a burden on the Mexicans, as it is here to us. It's interesting to say the least, but I think if anything, it makes the argument against illegal immigration that much stronger.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrapola1975 View Post
This was an interesting piece on many levels. I truly feel soory for the people who have been mistreated and I understand the motivation of wanting to migrate. A couple of things though, I think that people are aware of the many risks that they may encounter and it's a personal decision to take that risk. The irony of the situation baffles me. Mexico faces the same immigration problems that they pose, key difference is that the mexican government does not hand out social services the way this country does. Many of the Mexicans in this piece are leaving there to come here, leaving "scraps" to the South Americans, however it is not a burden on the Mexicans, as it is here to us. It's interesting to say the least, but I think if anything, it makes the argument against illegal immigration that much stronger.
This is probably the best post I have read from you so far Negrapola. I'm glad you understand the motivation for people wanting to migrate. Contrary to what people think, it is not driven by social deviace. Yes, Mexico has it's own immigration problems too and I have to say that many do stay illegally and form a family there but for the majority, that immigrate to Mexico, their final destination is the US. Is it fair to us? Of course not, we must have immigration laws and we must know who comes enters our country. However, illegal immigrants are not a burder to our country but actually help keep our economy going. Yes, there are medical expenses but I also think that we brought that upon ourselves. That is soon to be taken care of. Illegal immigration is beyond us and at this point, I dont think it will be cost effective to deport them. Just my two cents.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
This is probably the best post I have read from you so far Negrapola. I'm glad you understand the motivation for people wanting to migrate. Contrary to what people think, it is not driven by social deviace. Yes, Mexico has it's own immigration problems too and I have to say that many do stay illegally and form a family there but for the majority, that immigrate to Mexico, their final destination is the US. Is it fair to us? Of course not, we must have immigration laws and we must know who comes enters our country. However, illegal immigrants are not a burder to our country but actually help keep our economy going. Yes, there are medical expenses but I also think that we brought that upon ourselves. That is soon to be taken care of. Illegal immigration is beyond us and at this point, I dont think it will be cost effective to deport them. Just my two cents.
Which I do not believe for one minute------------especially with our high unemployment rate.

Those 'jobs that Americans won't do' are looking very good to our unemployed as of late.

I am seeing it around here (Phx area) more and more: stereotypically 'Anglo' looking people doing landscape work, etc. And I can say what I did since the Mexican elite, who are usually White typically do not do menial work-----------especially in the sun since they want to keep looking 'white'.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 AM

804 posts, read 1,174,929 times
Quote:
Which I do not believe for one minute------------especially with our high unemployment rate.

Those 'jobs that Americans won't do' are looking very good to our unemployed as of late.

I am seeing it around here (Phx area) more and more: stereotypically 'Anglo' looking people doing landscape work, etc. And I can say what I did since the Mexican elite, who are usually White typically do not do menial work-----------especially in the sun since they want to keep looking 'white'.
Yeah, but those jobs still need to get done once those people are not unemployed and desperate. Once the economy bounces back, and the jobs start coming back, those 'jobs that Americans won't do' will not keep looking very good to our now-employed as of late.

Also, if you want to do landscaping/construction/other similar jobs you can come to Michigan, an all white-crew cuts my yard, and when I went to north Michigan is one of the few times I have seen so many fast food restaurants manned by white individuals, as well as people holding on to ads-on the side of the road. There is hardly any Hispanics here. Now I do not know if the white people were legal or not.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrapola1975 View Post
I like your post too, and I somewhat agree with it. I think that illegal immigrants should not be eligible for social programs, but should be provided with the ability o work so they can support their own.

Actually, unless you have a disability, or extreme circumstances, I don't see why people should be eligible for social programs anyway, they should be working.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Yeah, but those jobs still need to get done once those people are not unemployed and desperate. Once the economy bounces back, and the jobs start coming back, those 'jobs that Americans won't do' will not keep looking very good to our now-employed as of late.

Also, if you want to do landscaping/construction/other similar jobs you can come to Michigan, an all white-crew cuts my yard, and when I went to north Michigan is one of the few times I have seen so many fast food restaurants manned by white individuals, as well as people holding on to ads-on the side of the road. There is hardly any Hispanics here. Now I do not know if the white people were legal or not.
Irrelevant for the here and now-----------the illegals still need to leave or be forced out. Neither of us have any honest clue that the US economy will bounce back very soon.............or at all till maybe 2015.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Irrelevant for the here and now-----------the illegals still need to leave or be forced out. Neither of us have any honest clue that the US economy will bounce back very soon.............or at all till maybe 2015.
Now thats a very short-sighted remark, I am grateful that the people on power do not think in such short time lines as yourself.

Even if a bill was passed right now to remove all illegal aliens, by the time it gets through court appeals and other challenges, then start getting enforced, it will be 2015 by the time IA leave the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or