U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Reputation: 6517

Advertisements

I could be wrong but I don't believe that it was the founding fathers who wrote the 14th amendment. I doubt they foresaw this invasion or how some might manipulate our laws. The 14th was written primarily to protect the rights of the ancestors of slavery not to grant a loophole for illegal aliens. The problem with laws are lawyers. They will bend, twist and distort just satisfy their own agenda. In this case their clients who are illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2009, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,175,750 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I could be wrong but I don't believe that it was the founding fathers who wrote the 14th amendment. I doubt they foresaw this invasion or how some might manipulate our laws. The 14th was written primarily to protect the rights of the ancestors of slavery not to grant a loophole for illegal aliens. The problem with laws are lawyers. They will bend, twist and distort just satisfy their own agenda. In this case their clients who are illegals.
But they are lawyers on both sides, and both sides will torture the law until it says what they want it to say.

Then, one would hope that, when congress passes a law, the wording used it's appropriate, and it's carefully chosen to represent the intention of the lawmakers.

It the current lawmakers think that the current interpretation/wording of the amendment is incorrect, then they should change it. But until then, saying that babies born of illegal aliens are any less citizens that those born from legal parents is incorrect.

If there is a loophole is due to the lack of vision of the people who wrote the original amendment/interpretation. Is it reasonable for us to think that they should have seen this, probably not. But like any other loophole, it is legal and it will be until lawmakers, or judges, decide to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
But they are lawyers on both sides, and both sides will torture the law until it says what they want it to say.

Then, one would hope that, when congress passes a law, the wording used it's appropriate, and it's carefully chosen to represent the intention of the lawmakers.

It the current lawmakers think that the current interpretation/wording of the amendment is incorrect, then they should change it. But until then, saying that babies born of illegal aliens are any less citizens that those born from legal parents is incorrect.

If there is a loophole is due to the lack of vision of the people who wrote the original amendment/interpretation. Is it reasonable for us to think that they should have seen this, probably not. But like any other loophole, it is legal and it will be until lawmakers, or judges, decide to fix it.
Said Anchor Baby loophole will be closed. It is a question of when---------not if.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 02:14 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Said Anchor Baby loophole will be closed. It is a question of when---------not if.
You may be right but until then, said anchor babies are citizens just the same as any other citizen...and no reversing/removing citizenship will take place from those that were born with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You may be right but until then, said anchor babies are citizens just the same as any other citizen...and no reversing/removing citizenship will take place from those that were born with it.
Never say never.

It is quite plausible when the law pertaining to birthright citizenship is changed that the minor age Anchors may wind up having their stripped away hence rendering them true illegal aliens by default.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,175,750 times
Reputation: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Never say never.

It is quite plausible when the law pertaining to birthright citizenship is changed that the minor age Anchors may wind up having their stripped away hence rendering them true illegal aliens by default.

So every citizen no matter what age would be stripped of their citizenship if they cannot prove that their parents are in the country legally? What about the children of "anchor babies" do they lose their citizenship as well? Where do you draw the line?

I think in the rare ocasion that something like this passes in the near future, the line will be drawn at the individuals who already have the citizenship. I can't find a link but I think when a bill to this effect was proposed, they said that it would not be retroactive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times
Reputation: 475
I agree with you Kellem. If there is ever a law that does not grant citizenship to children of undocumented, there will be a set date on when it will be in effect. There will be no retroactive. I've never heard of that in any of our other laws. I dont think it is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I agree with you Kellem. If there is ever a law that does not grant citizenship to children of undocumented, there will be a set date on when it will be in effect. There will be no retroactive. I've never heard of that in any of our other laws. I dont think it is possible.
They do it with taxes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
They do it with taxes....
Can you elaborate a little more? What do you mean by taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Can you elaborate a little more? What do you mean by taxes?
Both the fed and the states have passed tax laws that were retroactive.
In the late 1980's PA passed a tax increase that was retroactive. Taxes went from 2% to 3.25 for the remainder of the year ( to compensate for the retroactive) then dropped to 2.8%. As an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top