U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 PM

706 posts, read 796,028 times

Advertisements

Mods, While this article does not deal with illegal immigration directly.I feel it does underscore the underlying reasons for the problem.

Feel free to modify,move, or even delete it if in fact it violates some rule.

Thanks for Your time.

BL

://www.mexidata.info/id2288.html
that every time Caribbean and Latin American countries meet with the President of the United States of America it’s to ask for something or complain about things. Almost always, it’s to blame the United States for our past, present and future problems. I don’t think that’s completely fair

"We mustn’t forget that Latin America had universities before the United States created Harvard or William & Mary, which were the first universities in that country. We can’t forget that on this continent, as well as the world over, at least until 1750 all Americans were more or less equal: all were poor

"When the Industrial Revolution began in England other countries jumped on the bandwagon: Germany, France, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand. And the Industrial Revolution passed over Latin America like a comet and we didn’t even realize it. We certainly lost our opportunity
"There is a very great differenceiIf one reads the history of Latin America and compares it to the history of the United States, one understands that Latin America did not have a Spanish or Portuguese John Winthrop who, with Bible in hand, was willing to build 'a city on a hill,' a city that would shine, as was the objective of the pilgrims who arrived in the United States"50 years ago Mexico was richer than Portugal. In 1950 a country like Brazil had a higher income per capita than South Korea. 60 years ago Honduras had more wealth per capital than Singapore, and today Singapore, over a period of about 35-40 years, has increased its annual income per capita to $40,000 per inhabitant
"Well, Latin Americans did something wrong"What did we do wrong? I can’t count the things we’ve done wrong. To begin with, we have an average of seven years of education. That’s the average education level in Latin America and that is not the case with most Asian countries. Certainly that is not the case with the United States and Canada, which have the best education in the world, similar to that of Europeans. Of every ten students who enter high school in Latin America, in some countries only one completes high school. There are countries that have an infant mortality rate of 50 per 1000, when the average in more advanced Asian countries is 8, 9, or 10.....

SNIP............

Last edited by borderlord; 06-09-2009 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: format adjustment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 05:19 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
AMAZING angle....quite a different way of describing things than we usually see on the forum; and I suppose it won't 'go over' too well with some of our readers.

It's interesting to note that Costa Rica (whose President made these statements) has the reputation of being the most 'equitable', most 'egalatarian', and least militarized society in Central America, and has escaped a great deal of the oppression, class envy, dire poverty, violence, and social division that has plagued so many of its neighbors.

VERY interesting words, from a particularly appropriate source. It will be interesting to see the comments that follow..(OR the LACK of comments, as the case may be)...

Thanks for this commentary..

Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Excellent read. Thanks for sharing borderlord.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Thanks, macmeal.....

I just get tired of hearing how the U.S is responsible for all of the problems in the world.
It was nice to see someone, especially from a latin American country, step up to the plate....

BL

Old 06-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks, JD'sMom

I think it's time for a new approach to the problem....maybe this post will help.

BL

Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
He doesn't look for excuses like many here who post about how the US "stole" land and abused other Countries to gain wealth. Those things come from within that Country. Sitting idle creates nothing.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Latin America: 'We Did Something Wrong'

I went ahead and fixed the link.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 PM

1Angry....

I am waiting for the responses from the opposition....
Could be interesting or it could be the same old tired arguements.....
Regards,
BL

Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Thanks, JD'sMom

I think it's time for a new approach to the problem....maybe this post will help.

BL
I wouldn't count on it. Reality and truth are not part of their vocabulary or their world. Many of them have been here pretending that they are US citizens for so long, they actually believe it. The illegals/DREAMIes that post on this board are representative of a very large population of them squatting here demanding amnesty all while: lying, stealing, cheating, driving drunk, using fake identities and stealing from America's taxpayers and children.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Thanks, ArizonaBear....

I'm kind of a Windows weenie.
BL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or