Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,707 times

Advertisements

<<if these hot Hungarian women who would be approximately 18-20 were illegal AND came through Mexico would you want them deported?) >>

Absolutely! No special favors for Europeans regardless of what they look like. Why would you think looks should be a determining factor in who gets deported?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
How would you feel if the girl wasn't Polish but an ethnic Hungarian from Transylvania, a group that has faced considerable discrimination ever since the Treaty of Trianon gave Transylvania to Romania?

Or for that matter, a friend of mine from Budapest (don't know if he's legal or illegal) stated when I mentioned my heritage and having been there that life is just as hard for the average Budapest resident as it is for the average Mexico City resident. If he was illegal, would you want to deport him? Or two of his relatives who are gorgeous blonde women of the classic Magyar type? (again, I don't know if they're legal or illegal, but if these hot Hungarian women who would be approximately 18-20 were illegal AND came through Mexico would you want them deported?)

Maybe there needs to be an Aztlan-type movement to reverse the Treaty of Trianon and "reconquer" Translyvania (there is probably one, most likely...)
I really don't think it should be about the hotness of the women.

We like all other nations in the world have immigration laws and borders.

Otherwise, name one other nation that has no immigration laws of any kind, completely open borders.

There should be immigration but it has to be orderly and fair. These people opted to break certain laws, now they expect to be rewarded for having done so.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:03 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Otherwise, name one other nation that has no immigration laws of any kind, completely open borders.

There should be immigration but it has to be orderly and fair. These people opted to break certain laws, now they expect to be rewarded for having done so.
All the countries that comprise the European Union, towards any other country in the EU. People can just go from country to country with no need for immigration checks and can legally work in any country.

In the European Union there are also countries with a difference in Human Development Index (HDI) similar to the U.S. with Latin America:

US - .950
Chile - .874
Argentina - .860
Costa Rica -.847
Mexico - .842
Minimum -> Dominican Republic - .768

The greatest difference in the U.S. with Latin America is 0.182

Now between the countries belonging to the EU the highest are:
Iceland - .968
Norway - .968

And the lowest:
Romania - .825

Difference -> 0.143

So they also have a varied level of economical status.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Obviously, the laws on the books don't and can't reflect the hotness of women.

However, when it comes to enforcement and prosecution, that does have an effect. A good looking woman is considered less likely to be convicted, and more likely to be treated leniently by law enforcement. Cops, other law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges are human just like everyone else, and if they're heterosexual men (or lesbians) they're likely to think like other heterosexual men (or lesbians and/or bisexual women who lean lesbian).

I wonder how many guys here, if they went to bed with a hot woman who was obviously not American, would check her immigration status (not talking about prostitutes here ; due to criminalization, that's a "profession" that's become almost completely taken over by illegals except on the very high end - as said before, not all the jobs that illegals come to do are legal. If prostitution was legalized, Americans would want to be "professional ladies" again as the pay and working conditions would improve.) I'd guess the number would be pretty small.

The only way to avoid human nature from getting in the way of immigration enforcement would be an affirmative action program to get more gay men into ICE, and even then they would have their own natural biases just like hetero men have their own natural biases, so that would not work.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
All the countries that comprise the European Union, towards any other country in the EU. People can just go from country to country with no need for immigration checks and can legally work in any country.

In the European Union there are also countries with a difference in Human Development Index (HDI) similar to the U.S. with Latin America:

US - .950
Chile - .874
Argentina - .860
Costa Rica -.847
Mexico - .842

Iceland - .968
Norway - .968

And the lowest:
Romania - .825

Difference -> 0.143

I'm sure the difference between Greece, when it entered the European Community as the EU was then called, and then-West Germany was even bigger than the difference between Iceland and Romania (two countries hit very hard by the international recession/depression) today.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
First off: I am an unhyphenated American so, outside of historical curiousity, I do not have a 'dog in the fight' pertaining to Hungary and Trianon.

Face it: that nation was on the wrong side of WW I almost 90 years ago and lost so it needs to get over itself.

As for the 'ethnic Hungarians' in Transylvania----------under international law they are actually Romanian. Either they assimilate into the dominant culture or apply for admission to present day Hungary
It's much harder to assimilate into Romanian culture than US culture, particularly if you come from a group which traditionally was seen as an enemy.

I'd like to see some Americans try to assimilate into Romanian culture who don't have Romanian (or Moldovan) roots - can't be done.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post

US - .950
Chile - .874
Argentina - .860
Costa Rica -.847
Mexico - .842

Iceland - .968
Norway - .968

And the lowest:
Romania - .825

Difference -> 0.143

And what goes on in the EU has no relevance to the USA controlling its borders.

Face it: we do not have a 'Schengen Agreement' with any nation.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It's much harder to assimilate into Romanian culture than US culture, particularly if you come from a group which traditionally was seen as an enemy.

I'd like to see some Americans try to assimilate into Romanian culture who don't have Romanian (or Moldovan) roots - can't be done.
Which is of no importance to me as an American.

Remember: 'when in Rome, does as the Romans do'------------no pun intended.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Which is of no importance to me as an American.

Remember: 'when in Rome, does as the Romans do'------------no pun intended.
Rome's not in Romania, despite what some anti-immigrant Italian polticians might think....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration