Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 PM

85 posts, read 137,327 times

Advertisements

Schwarzenegger : Illegal aliens not cause of California's budget woes - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/1084527.html - broken link)

Because of politicians, like Arnold Schwartzenegger:

"He said the cost of services to illegal immigrants, which has been estimated at $4 billion to $5 billion annually, is a "small percentage" of the deficit California faces."

IF Arnold admits to "$4 or $5 billion," then you know it's five times that figure. Hey, Arnold, wake-up call: That piddly amount would save a lot of jobs and services, like the state parks, 80% of which will be closed as of September 1.

I ask, what part of "illegal" don't politicians get? Thankfully, Tom Campbell (R) has signed on to the anti-birthright bill. He's considering a run for Governor, so even though I'm not a Republican, I definitely would vote for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 PM

807 posts, read 1,302,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Schwarzenegger : Illegal aliens not cause of California's budget woes - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/1084527.html - broken link)

"He said the cost of services to illegal immigrants, which has been estimated at $4 billion to $5 billion annually, is a "small percentage" of the deficit California faces."

IF Arnold admits to "$4 or $5 billion," then you know it's five times that figure. Hey, Arnold, wake-up call: That piddly amount would save a lot of jobs and services, like the state parks, 80% of which will be closed as of September 1.

I ask, what part of "illegal" don't politicians get? Thankfully, Tom Campbell (R) has signed on to the anti-birthright bill. He's considering a run for Governor, so even though I'm not a Republican, I definitely would vote for him.
I hear ya there.. I'm not a Republican either and have voted Democrat most of my adult life, but in this upcoming Gubenatorial election, IF a candidate can come forward on Immigration specifically eliminating benefits for Illegal Aliens, they will have my vote.. So far, Former E-Bay CEO Meg Whitman is looking very good on this issue, however, there are a few issues that I disagree with her on..

If Villragosa or Gavin Newsom receive the Democratic Nomination, I will vote for whichever Republican is running against them.. I have seen what Newsom has done to San Francisco (I live about an hour away in the North Bay), not pretty.. AND Villragosa strikes me as an ethnocentric racist..

Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 PM

85 posts, read 137,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
I hear ya there.. I'm not a Republican either and have voted Democrat most of my adult life, but in this upcoming Gubenatorial election, IF a candidate can come forward on Immigration specifically eliminating benefits for Illegal Aliens, they will have my vote.. So far, Former E-Bay CEO Meg Whitman is looking very good on this issue, however, there are a few issues that I disagree with her on..

If Villragosa or Gavin Newsom receive the Democratic Nomination, I will vote for whichever Republican is running against them.. I have seen what Newsom has done to San Francisco (I live about an hour away in the North Bay), not pretty.. AND Villragosa strikes me as an ethnocentric racist..
If Gavin Newsom is elected Governor, then I'm moving out of the state. I've seen what he's done to San Francisco. I, too, am a Democrat, but this time, my vote goes to the best candidate who will listen to the LEGAL citizens. Never have been a fan of Meg Whitman, so haven't paid attention to her, but shall check her out. I adore Jerry Brown, but am afraid he's too liberal for me.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
After the Davis recall, we did have a choice.....I voted for Tom McClintock.
But most repubs voted for "popularity" over substance. The republicans wanted to win....not make a difference.

And Arnie is a rino,not a republican.

We are paying for that mistake in a big way now.....But let's not forget to place some blame the legislature in Sacramento....They,along with the "Guvernator" have been hell bent in creating this situation for a long time now. We are finding out now that we can't tax your way out of poverty, and You cannot increase wealth by dividing it....

It's going to get worse.

JMO

Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
After the Davis recall, we did have a choice.....I voted for Tom McClintock.
But most repubs voted for "popularity" over substance. The republicans wanted to win....not make a difference.
Think it didn't have something to do with McClintock's social views as opposed to Arnold's, which are more in the tradition of past GOP governors of California?

Quote:
And Arnie is a rino,not a republican.
You wouldn't have said that if he had been a success not a failure.

Guess that would make Jim Gibbons of Nevada, which is facing similar problems to California, a "RINO" as well. Or Randy "Duke" Cunningham.

Quote:
We are paying for that mistake in a big way now.....But let's not forget to place some blame the legislature in Sacramento
I blame the Legislature more than Arnold. And also I blame the state's political system in general, e.g. the two thirds rule, Prop 13, the seriously dysfunctional CA constitution and fiscal structure.

If illegals were the problem than Texas would have the same exact problems.

I do think things will improve but there'll be some really bad times before they do.

Quote:
..They,along with the "Guvernator" have been hell bent in creating this situation for a long time now. We are finding out now that we can't tax your way out of poverty
When you have an insane fiscal structure like CA's, that up until now has relied on super-high regressive taxes like sales taxes, fines, and fees, and - until now - medium level income taxes and super-low property taxes (and now CA is going to get super-high income taxes as well) the economy IS held back and CA as a result has become extremely difficult to do business in. Not to mention stupid voters voting for initiatives that are mostly "feel-good" measures which do nothing to tackle the problems they're meant to solve.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Here's what Newsom's site for governor said about immigration. I'm so happy I'm on the other side of the county.

Sanctuary City Policy: San Francisco’s sanctuary city policy, going back nearly 30 years and five San Francisco mayors, serves primarily to protect public safety. The policy is designed to maintain public health and safety by reassuring the city's undocumented residents that they can call for police or fire department assistance or seek emergency medical help without fear of being deported.
City ID Card: Mayor Newsom launched the San Francisco City ID Card program, which offers residents a photo identification card that streamlines access to city programs and connects residents to local businesses. The ID card makes it easier for all San Franciscans to see a doctor, open a bank account and enroll their kids in preschool.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Here's what Newsom's site for governor said about immigration. I'm so happy I'm on the other side of the county.

Sanctuary City Policy: San Francisco’s sanctuary city policy, going back nearly 30 years and five San Francisco mayors, serves primarily to protect public safety. The policy is designed to maintain public health and safety by reassuring the city's undocumented residents that they can call for police or fire department assistance or seek emergency medical help without fear of being deported.
City ID Card: Mayor Newsom launched the San Francisco City ID Card program, which offers residents a photo identification card that streamlines access to city programs and connects residents to local businesses. The ID card makes it easier for all San Franciscans to see a doctor, open a bank account and enroll their kids in preschool.
You should also be happy you are a distance from the DC area. We have sanctuary policies here which are just as disgusting.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Access to City programs.......hahahahaha the tickets to the freebies await.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post

Unless I'm mistaken, the deficit is around 24 billion, so 4-5 billion is around 20%, seems pretty significant to me.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 AM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
majoun,
If the Governor had been a success would I have been critical ? Depends on what areas his "success" took place. As far as McClintock goes, I suppose that a fiscal conservative who just happens to oppose illegal immigration and the services provided to illegals, would have a difficult time winning an election here in California. Thats why the repubs went with Arnold, a moderate who would not jeporadize their chances of winning. The only success the governor has had in the area of illegal immigration is putting the old veto to work on Cedillo's weekly attempt to get drivers licenses for illegals, and he only does that because he says the federal guidelines already exist.

To what extent Texas and Nevada are impacted by illegals, well I guess I will have to do some research, or perhaps some posters from those states can provide some info. I've focused my time on California.

2/3 rule ? I wonder.......with the make-up of the legislature do You think that the "tax and spend" mentality may have accelerated CA. to the situation we are in now if we only required a "simple majority" ?

regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration