U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
85 posts, read 121,012 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Schwarzenegger : Illegal aliens not cause of California's budget woes - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/1084527.html - broken link)

Because of politicians, like Arnold Schwartzenegger:

"He said the cost of services to illegal immigrants, which has been estimated at $4 billion to $5 billion annually, is a "small percentage" of the deficit California faces."

IF Arnold admits to "$4 or $5 billion," then you know it's five times that figure. Hey, Arnold, wake-up call: That piddly amount would save a lot of jobs and services, like the state parks, 80% of which will be closed as of September 1.

I ask, what part of "illegal" don't politicians get? Thankfully, Tom Campbell (R) has signed on to the anti-birthright bill. He's considering a run for Governor, so even though I'm not a Republican, I definitely would vote for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2009, 10:27 PM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,116,947 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Schwarzenegger : Illegal aliens not cause of California's budget woes - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/1084527.html - broken link)

Because of politicians, like Arnold Schwartzenegger:

"He said the cost of services to illegal immigrants, which has been estimated at $4 billion to $5 billion annually, is a "small percentage" of the deficit California faces."

IF Arnold admits to "$4 or $5 billion," then you know it's five times that figure. Hey, Arnold, wake-up call: That piddly amount would save a lot of jobs and services, like the state parks, 80% of which will be closed as of September 1.

I ask, what part of "illegal" don't politicians get? Thankfully, Tom Campbell (R) has signed on to the anti-birthright bill. He's considering a run for Governor, so even though I'm not a Republican, I definitely would vote for him.
I hear ya there.. I'm not a Republican either and have voted Democrat most of my adult life, but in this upcoming Gubenatorial election, IF a candidate can come forward on Immigration specifically eliminating benefits for Illegal Aliens, they will have my vote.. So far, Former E-Bay CEO Meg Whitman is looking very good on this issue, however, there are a few issues that I disagree with her on..

If Villragosa or Gavin Newsom receive the Democratic Nomination, I will vote for whichever Republican is running against them.. I have seen what Newsom has done to San Francisco (I live about an hour away in the North Bay), not pretty.. AND Villragosa strikes me as an ethnocentric racist..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
85 posts, read 121,012 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
I hear ya there.. I'm not a Republican either and have voted Democrat most of my adult life, but in this upcoming Gubenatorial election, IF a candidate can come forward on Immigration specifically eliminating benefits for Illegal Aliens, they will have my vote.. So far, Former E-Bay CEO Meg Whitman is looking very good on this issue, however, there are a few issues that I disagree with her on..

If Villragosa or Gavin Newsom receive the Democratic Nomination, I will vote for whichever Republican is running against them.. I have seen what Newsom has done to San Francisco (I live about an hour away in the North Bay), not pretty.. AND Villragosa strikes me as an ethnocentric racist..
If Gavin Newsom is elected Governor, then I'm moving out of the state. I've seen what he's done to San Francisco. I, too, am a Democrat, but this time, my vote goes to the best candidate who will listen to the LEGAL citizens. Never have been a fan of Meg Whitman, so haven't paid attention to her, but shall check her out. I adore Jerry Brown, but am afraid he's too liberal for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,204 times
Reputation: 179
After the Davis recall, we did have a choice.....I voted for Tom McClintock.
But most repubs voted for "popularity" over substance. The republicans wanted to win....not make a difference.

And Arnie is a rino,not a republican.

We are paying for that mistake in a big way now.....But let's not forget to place some blame the legislature in Sacramento....They,along with the "Guvernator" have been hell bent in creating this situation for a long time now. We are finding out now that we can't tax your way out of poverty, and You cannot increase wealth by dividing it....

It's going to get worse.

JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
After the Davis recall, we did have a choice.....I voted for Tom McClintock.
But most repubs voted for "popularity" over substance. The republicans wanted to win....not make a difference.
Think it didn't have something to do with McClintock's social views as opposed to Arnold's, which are more in the tradition of past GOP governors of California?

Quote:
And Arnie is a rino,not a republican.
You wouldn't have said that if he had been a success not a failure.

Guess that would make Jim Gibbons of Nevada, which is facing similar problems to California, a "RINO" as well. Or Randy "Duke" Cunningham.

Quote:
We are paying for that mistake in a big way now.....But let's not forget to place some blame the legislature in Sacramento
I blame the Legislature more than Arnold. And also I blame the state's political system in general, e.g. the two thirds rule, Prop 13, the seriously dysfunctional CA constitution and fiscal structure.

If illegals were the problem than Texas would have the same exact problems.

I do think things will improve but there'll be some really bad times before they do.

Quote:
..They,along with the "Guvernator" have been hell bent in creating this situation for a long time now. We are finding out now that we can't tax your way out of poverty
When you have an insane fiscal structure like CA's, that up until now has relied on super-high regressive taxes like sales taxes, fines, and fees, and - until now - medium level income taxes and super-low property taxes (and now CA is going to get super-high income taxes as well) the economy IS held back and CA as a result has become extremely difficult to do business in. Not to mention stupid voters voting for initiatives that are mostly "feel-good" measures which do nothing to tackle the problems they're meant to solve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,771 posts, read 6,969,484 times
Reputation: 3507
Here's what Newsom's site for governor said about immigration. I'm so happy I'm on the other side of the county.

Sanctuary City Policy: San Francisco’s sanctuary city policy, going back nearly 30 years and five San Francisco mayors, serves primarily to protect public safety. The policy is designed to maintain public health and safety by reassuring the city's undocumented residents that they can call for police or fire department assistance or seek emergency medical help without fear of being deported.
City ID Card: Mayor Newsom launched the San Francisco City ID Card program, which offers residents a photo identification card that streamlines access to city programs and connects residents to local businesses. The ID card makes it easier for all San Franciscans to see a doctor, open a bank account and enroll their kids in preschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,003 posts, read 31,957,905 times
Reputation: 30387
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Here's what Newsom's site for governor said about immigration. I'm so happy I'm on the other side of the county.

Sanctuary City Policy: San Francisco’s sanctuary city policy, going back nearly 30 years and five San Francisco mayors, serves primarily to protect public safety. The policy is designed to maintain public health and safety by reassuring the city's undocumented residents that they can call for police or fire department assistance or seek emergency medical help without fear of being deported.
City ID Card: Mayor Newsom launched the San Francisco City ID Card program, which offers residents a photo identification card that streamlines access to city programs and connects residents to local businesses. The ID card makes it easier for all San Franciscans to see a doctor, open a bank account and enroll their kids in preschool.
You should also be happy you are a distance from the DC area. We have sanctuary policies here which are just as disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
Access to City programs.......hahahahaha the tickets to the freebies await.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,042,585 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Schwarzenegger : Illegal aliens not cause of California's budget woes - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/1084527.html - broken link)

Because of politicians, like Arnold Schwartzenegger:

"He said the cost of services to illegal immigrants, which has been estimated at $4 billion to $5 billion annually, is a "small percentage" of the deficit California faces."

IF Arnold admits to "$4 or $5 billion," then you know it's five times that figure. Hey, Arnold, wake-up call: That piddly amount would save a lot of jobs and services, like the state parks, 80% of which will be closed as of September 1.

I ask, what part of "illegal" don't politicians get? Thankfully, Tom Campbell (R) has signed on to the anti-birthright bill. He's considering a run for Governor, so even though I'm not a Republican, I definitely would vote for him.
Unless I'm mistaken, the deficit is around 24 billion, so 4-5 billion is around 20%, seems pretty significant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 AM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,204 times
Reputation: 179
majoun,
If the Governor had been a success would I have been critical ? Depends on what areas his "success" took place. As far as McClintock goes, I suppose that a fiscal conservative who just happens to oppose illegal immigration and the services provided to illegals, would have a difficult time winning an election here in California. Thats why the repubs went with Arnold, a moderate who would not jeporadize their chances of winning. The only success the governor has had in the area of illegal immigration is putting the old veto to work on Cedillo's weekly attempt to get drivers licenses for illegals, and he only does that because he says the federal guidelines already exist.

To what extent Texas and Nevada are impacted by illegals, well I guess I will have to do some research, or perhaps some posters from those states can provide some info. I've focused my time on California.

2/3 rule ? I wonder.......with the make-up of the legislature do You think that the "tax and spend" mentality may have accelerated CA. to the situation we are in now if we only required a "simple majority" ?

regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top