U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822

Advertisements

[quote=malamute;9253377]A Mexican university education is not necessarily inferior to one here. Some are actually better -- did you realize that?

Did I say that? No. The admission procedures vary from country to country. A US diploma may not be accepted. They are TWO different systems.

Let's all not forget she has that option.

She may not have that option. Read above. International students from abroad may have to take extra classes in order to obtain acceptance here in the States. She is already accepted here, why have her pay more to accepted at another school?

My roots were really in the USA, and not illegally at all. I was a bit older than this one and I found Mexico to be quite fascinating. And yes, I've seen a number of the campuses first hand and there is nothing wrong with them

That's great YOU decided to go. That YOU have the option. That YOU fulfilled your study abroad requirements. Two seperate issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
SHE STARTED HER STUDIES HERE!!! It's not limiting, it's practicality. Tell you what, drop your job and do the same job in a different state. You can do it. I won't limit you.
Okay..... I found the perfect university in Mexico for someone like the illegals who claim they'd never make it in a Spanish speaking country:

UNIVERSIDAD DE LEÓN - Saber para servir, servir para progresar.

(notice the button that says "enter")

When you "enter" there's a little box at the top "Get used to the difficulties and nothing will seem impossible" -- good advice for someone like the girl in this topic. But notice - they have pages in English.

I'd love to spend some time in Leon Guanajuato. I've only been through Guanajuato but never spent any length of time there. Looks like a cool place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Are you kidding me? The U.S. could NEVER bear the weight of all the people who want to come here for a better life. That's totally idealistic and completely unrealistic.

They are here already. Esp. the one we are talking about.

Does the word "floodgate" mean anything to you? Because if your vision of allowing anybody who wants to, to come into the U.S., every became a reality, the floodgates would open, and the U.S. would literally drown.

No the US wouldn't literally drown. They are people, not liquids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:52 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
The fact that they were brought to this country illegally by their parents does not obligate this country to provide them with a college education. This is not the only country in the world with universities. If they sincerely desire a college education, they can either pay the higher foreign rates (they aren’t citizens) or return to their countries of origin. It’s that simple.

It's a private college. The rates are the same for all students. Regardless of that, we should do away with out of state tuition. There is no real reason for it to be instituted.

My ex-husband came here from Argentina to attend college. He adapted very well. So well, he eventually made it his home.

He came here because he wanted to right? He took the proper classes in order to be eligible right? He didn't go "Oh crap. What do I have to do to go continue my college in a different land?" Just a hunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
[quote=that1guy;9254355]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
She may not have that option. Read above. International students from abroad may have to take extra classes in order to obtain acceptance here in the States. She is already accepted here, why have her pay more to accepted at another school?
Of course she's got that option. Why would you find American students studying in Mexican universities if they cannot get in?

It's not about paying more to be accepted at another school, she is not legally in this country, she demands now to be given preference over all those who would come here legally. She believes that breaking the laws here makes her somehow better than those people who have followed the laws.

Like Obama said, these people need to get to the BACK of the line. They should expect no rewards because of poor choices they or their parents have made.

They should also stop running down their country and lying about how bad it is just to gain sympathy. There are many things to like about Mexico - and maybe people like this girl should make the most of an opportunity they have to visit and study there - maybe stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Okay..... I found the perfect university in Mexico for someone like the illegals who claim they'd never make it in a Spanish speaking country:

UNIVERSIDAD DE LEÓN - Saber para servir, servir para progresar.

(notice the button that says "enter")

When you "enter" there's a little box at the top "Get used to the difficulties and nothing will seem impossible" -- good advice for someone like the girl in this topic. But notice - they have pages in English.

I'd love to spend some time in Leon Guanajuato. I've only been through Guanajuato but never spent any length of time there. Looks like a cool place.
Again completely overlooking the obvious (enterance requirements, majors offered, her future plans, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Of course she's got that option. Why would you find American students studying in Mexican universities if they cannot get in?

It's called study abroad. If they graduated from high school here its called doing the research before hand.

It's not about paying more to be accepted at another school, she is not legally in this country, she demands now to be given preference over all those who would come here legally. She believes that breaking the laws here makes her somehow better than those people who have followed the laws.

She was a little kid whose parents broke the laws. If you were in the same position, what would you do? You're only lying to yourself, or are completely immersed in yourself, if you say "leave".

Like Obama said, these people need to get to the BACK of the line. They should expect no rewards because of poor choices they or their parents have made.

You should pay for every poor decsion your parents made. Hell great great great grand parents. Life goes on. We don't control the past. If she is doing nothing wrong, let her live her life. Is she harming you? No. Then let it go. Common sense.

They should also stop running down their country and lying about how bad it is just to gain sympathy. There are many things to like about Mexico - and maybe people like this girl should make the most of an opportunity they have to visit and study there - maybe stay.

Most people that come over here are actually on the lower end of the spectrum. And yeah, it's a developing nation. The poor here are more priveledged than the poor there. You've been there right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Most people that come over here are actually on the lower end of the spectrum. And yeah, it's a developing nation. The poor here are more priveledged than the poor there. You've been there right?
Well she's obviously no longer poor. Supposedly she's bright enough, thinking of going to college. She's been handed nothing but the best that American taxpayers could provide her, if she returns home, why are you insisting she's going to live in a dirt hovel shack? And that she could never attend a fine university in her own country?

Why would she not find it at least as easy studying in her own country as the many American students who have done just that? Just because she's illegal and from Mexico doesn't necessarily make her high school diploma meaningless. If Mexico recognizes the diplomas of foreign students who go there to study, why not a Mexican citizen who has the same diploma?

I think it's time to at least get this discussion on honest ground.

Stop the lies that people in Mexico are dying on the streets, dying of starvation because that isn't the case.

Stop the lies that there are no schools, no hospitals, no doctors in Mexico.

Stop the lies that no matter how responsible someone is, how hard they study and advance themselves, delaying the start of a family until after college, that there is absolutely no hope for them in Mexico. That's no longer the case.

The honest truth is that for cases like the one in this article, there are options if she returns to Mexico. She's not going to die of starvation, she's not going to be turned away from every college -- she's a Mexican citizen after all.

It comes down to that she doesn't want to make any effort, she figures the taxpayers here owe her something, she believes that she's to be handed amnesty and citizenship on a silver platter and to hell with the idiot chumps who do it the legal way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Most people that come over here are actually on the lower end of the spectrum. And yeah, it's a developing nation. The poor here are more priveledged than the poor there. You've been there right?
Yes I've been there but no I don't think the "poor" in the USA are better than the poor in Mexico. I like the poor in Mexico better because they aren't a bunch of welfare recipients.

Because of where I live, I get the television broadcasts out of Mexico. A while back they were interviewing people -- man on the street kind of interviews, asking people if they planned to go to the USA.

Of course many answered yes, and the next question was "why", and of course it was always only about money, the material things they craved. Not one answered that they wanted to be American or that they liked the Constitution, American values. It was all only about money and material things.

However the reporter would come across people who wanted to stay in Mexico. One guy looked pretty poor - like an older campesino and he looked puzzled by the question. No, he didn't want to move to the USA. The reporter pointed out "what about the money" and he said "Why would we leave Mexico, Mexico es nuestra riqueza".

Yes -- I like those kinds of people for some reason. And I don't believe this man believed himself to be worse than the poor of Mexico living on welfare handouts in the USA. And he isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Reputation: 822
Yes I've been there but no I don't think the "poor" in the USA are better than the poor in Mexico. I like the poor in Mexico better because they aren't a bunch of welfare recipients.

Yeah, they are better off.

Because of where I live, I get the television broadcasts out of Mexico. A while back they were interviewing people -- man on the street kind of interviews, asking people if they planned to go to the USA.


Of course many answered yes, and the next question was "why", and of course it was always only about money, the material things they craved. Not one answered that they wanted to be American or that they liked the Constitution, American values. It was all only about money and material things.

However the reporter would come across people who wanted to stay in Mexico. One guy looked pretty poor - like an older campesino and he looked puzzled by the question. No, he didn't want to move to the USA. The reporter pointed out "what about the money" and he said "Why would we leave Mexico, Mexico es nuestra riqueza".

Well same reason why the girl doesn't want to leave the country she started planting her roots in.

Yes -- I like those kinds of people for some reason. And I don't believe this man believed himself to be worse than the poor of Mexico living on welfare handouts in the USA. And he isn't.

Not all the poor in the US are living on welfare. Generally, the US poor have a MUCH higher standard of living than those in the 3rd world poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top