U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,660,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Botero said 91 percent of Hispanics speak Spanish at home, and surveys indicate they prefer products advertised to them in that language.
"This shows us a trend that instead of what everybody believed in the '60s and the '70s, there was a misconception that Hispanics were going to acculturate to the United States culó ture, meaning we were going to become Americans. That's not true," he said.
"We're actually becoming more Latino, more Hispanic. We're becoming more proud of our culture and our roots. We want things in Spanish. . . . We want to buy from those advertisers who speak to us in Spanish. Hispanics get more information about a product when they advertise in Spanish, and Hispanics will be more inclined to purchase brands if they advertise in Spanish."
Sounds like the natives will have to assimilate to the new comer culture or get left behind.

Deseret News | Latino market a big niche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:32 PM

804 posts, read 1,175,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Sounds like the natives will have to assimilate to the new comer culture or get left behind.

Deseret News | Latino market a big niche

Good thing that companies are not as culturally closed-minded as some of the posters here. And they cater to their customer's demographic.

Soon we all will have to learn Mandarin anyway so you might as well start getting used to being around many cultures/languages.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
There is nothing wrong with speaking Spanish, my kids know it and are re-teaching me. It only becomes a problem when English is not the "main" language and as a Society we can no longer communicate with each other. Trying to evacuate a City after a quake would be rather messy trying to communicate with 20 different languages wouldn't you say? No electricity only the National Guard driving yelling on the radio.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,583,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Good thing that companies are not as culturally closed-minded as some of the posters here. And they cater to their customer's demographic.

Soon we all will have to learn Mandarin anyway so you might as well start getting used to being around many cultures/languages.
I agree.

Screw the tradition of assimilation and Americanization. Those are some great patriotic words from, well, someone who's a criminal alien anyway.

Thanks for giving us another reason as to why we should reject the upcoming shamnesty bill.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is nothing wrong with speaking Spanish, my kids know it and are re-teaching me. It only becomes a problem when English is not the "main" language and as a Society we can no longer communicate with each other. Trying to evacuate a City after a quake would be rather messy trying to communicate with 20 different languages wouldn't you say? No electricity only the National Guard driving yelling on the radio.
So what happens when a disaster happens in Puerto Rico? Where English and Spanish are official languages ( according to wikipedia )

Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,263,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You know the US has no official language right? Overall I agree with you though. I think it is anyone's best interest to learn English if it isn't their first language and I also think it is in the best interest of Americans to learn Spanish, especially if they live in an area with a significant Spanish speaking presence. I wouldn't have been promoted to my current position had I not known Spanish so I guess you could say I'm a direct benefactor.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,583,449 times
Quote:
So what happens when a disaster happens in Puerto Rico? Where English and Spanish are official languages ( according to wikipedia )
And what happens when a disaster happens somewhere in the 50 US states in which English is the de facto language? What's the point?

Puerto Rico has always been a predominant Spanish-speaking commonwealth ever since it was colonized by the Spanish and annexed by the US even though it has a certain amount of sovereignty from the US. Anyone who lives there already knows it.

Last edited by antireconquista; 06-11-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM

11,878 posts, read 32,941,740 times
Quote:

Perhaps they need to consolidate their languages for the betterment of their people?

When does all of this end?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Perhaps they need to consolidate their languages for the betterment of their people?

When does all of this end?
I support learning English. I think learning the predominant language of a region is a great advantage. And after talking with some people now I am seriously thinking about learning Mandarin as well, because the ways things are going it sounds like a good investment.

I do not see anything wrong in the other hand to learn your native language as well, my youngest brother has been exposed to English and Spanish environments since he was born and he speaks both languages with no problem.

I also, do not see anything wrong with businesses catering to customers in their own language. Even though I can speak English with no problem, It makes me feel good when I see an add on Spanish or I have the option to talk to someone in Spanish. I can say that I am more likely to buy the same item from a company that has an add designed for Hispanics that for anyone else. The cultural references that come with adds that target Hispanics raised in Latin America are much easier to relate to, than the ones that are designed to appeal to people raise in the U.S.

To sum it up, I do not mind learning English in order to efficiently communicate with other people, I actually encourage it. But I also do not want to lose my mother language/culture. Even when I became a U.S. citizen in the near future, I will still retain my Peruvian roots, language and culture and will try my best to pass it on to my children.

If consolidating languages means people learning a common language to better communicate I an all for it. If it means losing all the other languages because someone doesn't want people talking in another language, then it's a laughable enterprise.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
Quote:
They don't have Chinese, Korean, etc etc etc so I don't see the comparison as it wouldn't be an issue like it would be here. There are only 3 (recognized officially) languages there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration