U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: On The Subject Of Assimilation Into U.S Society, What Grade Would You Give The Hispanic Population ?
F 10 31.25%
D 10 31.25%
C 5 15.63%
B 4 12.50%
A 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:18 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,091,370 times
Reputation: 822

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
I speak French at home, yet typing in fluent English. My Vietnamese friend speaks Vietnamese at home, he's getting his masters. You can be bilingual.

English Usage Among Hispanics in the United States - Pew Hispanic Center

Simply put if you do the math, more than 50% of Hispanics are able to speak English. Thus, a majority.

 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,852,393 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I speak French at home, yet typing in fluent English. My Vietnamese friend speaks Vietnamese at home, he's getting his masters. You can be bilingual.

English Usage Among Hispanics in the United States - Pew Hispanic Center

Simply put if you do the math, more than 50% of Hispanics are able to speak English. Thus, a majority.
Yes, LEGAL Hispanic immigrants. However, illegal aliens rarely speak fluent English; with the possible exception of DREAMies. Most Hispanic illegal aliens are illiterate. Thus, they canít even read or write in Spanish, not to mention, English.
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
 
14,864 posts, read 18,908,496 times
Reputation: 11839
I'd say "F"
same goes for Germans (Oktoberfest with german flags),
Italians (restaurant with italian flags)
Irish (Celebrating St. Pats, an irish religious hero while flying irish flags)
 
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 PM
 
709 posts, read 1,545,291 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
I'd say "F"
same goes for Germans (Oktoberfest with german flags),
Italians (restaurant with italian flags)
Irish (Celebrating St. Pats, an irish religious hero while flying irish flags)
Most Italians and Germans in the U.S do not speak German or Italian at home. While most Hispanics in the U.S do speak Spanish at home.
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:05 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,091,370 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, LEGAL Hispanic immigrants. However, illegal aliens rarely speak fluent English; with the possible exception of DREAMies. Most Hispanic illegal aliens are illiterate. Thus, they canít even read or write in Spanish, not to mention, English.
Are you sure, the average educational attainment is 6-9th grade level US, thus very literate (at least that's what you guys have quoted before). Any stats?

Plus the thread was HISPANICS, meaning ALL Hispanics.
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:07 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,091,370 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Most Italians and Germans in the U.S do not speak German or Italian at home. While most Hispanics in the U.S do speak Spanish at home.
It was very different just in the 1910s. My great grandmother spoke only Yiddish and German. My great uncle dan, till his death in 1999 spoke broken English, German, and Yiddish...in Ohio.
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:21 AM
 
709 posts, read 1,545,291 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
It was very different just in the 1910s. My great grandmother spoke only Yiddish and German. My great uncle dan, till his death in 1999 spoke broken English, German, and Yiddish...in Ohio.
That was in the 1910s. In 2009, Italians and Germans in the U.S are all as American as apple pie.
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:22 AM
 
14,864 posts, read 18,908,496 times
Reputation: 11839
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Most Italians and Germans in the U.S do not speak German or Italian at home. While most Hispanics in the U.S do speak Spanish at home.
They can be loyal to a foreign country (fly a foreign flag) as long as they can speak English?
I guess Indians (big % of them speak English) assimilate as soon as they step into the US.
 
Old 06-12-2009, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Denver
9,070 posts, read 15,517,882 times
Reputation: 5293
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
That was in the 1910s. In 2009, Italians and Germans in the U.S are all as American as apple pie.
Ok, but do you see the historical trend here?

Hispanics are just the latest wave of immigrants, so if most 'non-assimilated hispanics' have come since the 80's...then don't they have like 60-70 years to become "American as apple pie"? Otherwise 3-4 generations, which is exacly what it took prior immigrants.

You are basically the same people who complained about the Irish, Italians and Germans back then...but look now, now they are all assimilated. So will the hispanics, but no need to worry I am sure by then the Muslims will be coming, rinse/repeat.

Last edited by Mach50; 06-12-2009 at 01:30 AM..
 
Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,091,370 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
That was in the 1910s. In 2009, Italians and Germans in the U.S are all as American as apple pie.
My point still stands. Regardless, this is what it WAS. Thus, we are seeing the same patterns. They are now in third or fourth generation (germans and italians). I'm not German. It does take time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top