Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,815 times

Advertisements

Hello all, Im 27 and a plumber. Ireland's economy is in an awful state, absolutely no chance of any work in construction. Im considering doing the irish thing thats been done for centuries now and hitting new york in hope of some work. I know america is in a recession too but How bad is it over there? Would I pick something up? What pay could i expect?. Obviously I will go over on a holiday visa and when its up I'll overstay it. Any advice from any other irish in consruction over there or anyone at all greatly appreciated. I think i might wait til after the summer cuz the place will be full of j1 students making job competition fierce for jobs.
Yours kindly, Ciaran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
Gee, GREAT! Flout the law, please.

I'm sorry, but I can't encourage flagrant violation of the law. There are no jobs here.

What you want to do is use our municipal services and take jobs away from legal immigrants and not contribute to the system. Thanks, but we have enough of that already.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:43 PM

15 posts, read 36,033 times
Hi Ciaran

I'm here in NY from Ireland myself. Totally agree with ireland being in tatters (the non-stop recession rubbish on the TV really gets me!!!) but really its the same here espically where the construction is concerned. Do u have any contacts, know where you're going to stay etc?

Viralmd's comments about the whole illegality are quite appropriate! I know its what nearly all irish do...out stay the visa!! Like a tradition now! Regarding the J1's i dont live in an irish area at the moment but i do wonder is there as many of them here this year with the whole money situation. They will be quite pressed to find jobs and thats for sure!

If you want any info on irish areas here or etc PM me if you wish!

Last edited by whatshername; 06-11-2009 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: spellings tut tut tut!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 03:54 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
In case you didn't detect this: I was being sarcastic. If he's planning to come illegally, he should NOT. He should stay in Ireland and not freeload on our system.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
At the very least he should give an ugly girl with citizenship his full love and attention so that he can do a status for companionship trade-off. And things have definitely dived in NYC, but from the number of Irish I've met recently (four) who are in the same boat, it sounds like Ireland is even worse off. Here's to a new flood of the Irish in New York! C'mon down!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,815 times
Cheers whatshername, Heard Woodlawn and woodside queens are main irish spots. Any other places? No real contacts, hopin to join a G.A.A club. Viralmd I cant argue with you at all and i appreciate your position. Ireland has been hit worse with recession than any other country. Im stone broke, no job , no money , no prospects here for me. So excuse me for being a bit selfish and looking after number 1, but im gonna go wherever I can get work. Be that New York or not, So be it. Be it legal or not, so be it.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Change jobs. The USA is going through a housing crash. Far too many houses were built in recent years and many now sit empty.

Instead of coming here and breaking the laws, you ought to go back to college or learn another trade.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,851,480 times
Considering that Ireland a member of the EU, wouldn't it be much be much easier to look for work there rather than looking for it illegally over here?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Considering that Ireland a member of the EU, wouldn't it be much be much easier to look for work there rather than looking for it illegally over here?
No kidding there............

Besides: us anti illegal alien folks do not want anybody here (including Irish) unless they play by the rules.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 PM

974 posts, read 1,586,621 times
Illegal is Illegal. I do not care if you are white/black/purple/grey/green/polka dotted. Keep your illegal "looking out for number 1" self in Europe in my honest opinion. And construction is not a good place to be employed at the moment.

Now for a question for all my buds on here. Anyone else think that someone is trying to see how we react to a "white anglo european" openly stating he is going to break the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration