Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM

355 posts, read 447,159 times

Advertisements

Here it is in plain English and black and white.

The United States of America is a country of immigrants but in order to live here, get along and communicate effectively, they must adapt and learn our language. We should not be forced to adapt to their culture or learn their language.

Most illegal immigrants cannot and will not speak English and this is unacceptable. The feds seem to know about their head-count and where they are, so nobody can convince me that they cannot be rounded up and exported back to their originating countries.

Business relations and communication are hampered by these migrants, legal or not, that will not speak English. The public should not be so tolerant of this absurdity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 10:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
"Migrants", if they're only here temporarily, have no need to learn English. Immigrants (those who've legally entered the US with the intention of becoming citizens) aid themselves enormously by learning English, (as most do). They ALSO show great respect in making that effort; and to that degree, 'endear themselves' to the American population. MOST Americans LOVE a 'stranger' who tries to fit in. 'Fluency" in English is not mandatory, nor possible in all cases. Most Americans are able to understand 'broken English', and no one is expected to 'lose his accent', though it somtimes happens. Just an honest effort is all that's expected.

Illegal immigrants? They shouldn't be here at ALL, so it's difficult to make recommendations as to what illegals should...(or should not) do to 'fit in'. They'd be better off learning English, and many do....but their most PRESSING problem is their illegality, not their fluency in English.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Thats a tall order... I believe that they should learn english as well but fluently? In what period of time? Passable english is about as much as we can expect and still be reasonable. Most americans by Brittish standards don't speak fluent english.
The adapt part I agree with whole heartedly. However, what they do in their own homes is no ones business.
WE need to be fair and reasonable. I can speak Thai. But not fluently and I love the language and the culture.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Here it is in plain English and black and white.

The United States of America is a country of immigrants but in order to live here, get along and communicate effectively, they must adapt and learn our language. We should not be forced to adapt to their culture or learn their language.

Most illegal immigrants cannot and will not speak English and this is unacceptable. The feds seem to know about their head-count and where they are, so nobody can convince me that they cannot be rounded up and exported back to their originating countries.

Business relations and communication are hampered by these migrants, legal or not, that will not speak English. The public should not be so tolerant of this absurdity.
For one thing, I don't believe that any other languages or cultures are being "forced on us" in any way.
I think that is such BS, and it comes up all the time in here.

Secondly, I don't really care if an immigrant speaks English or not. As long as their children and ensuing generations learn English, which the vast majority though. I can't say that I've EVER heard of multiple generations of a family in the United States being stuck on a foreign language. Except for that one article I posted a long time ago about the German immigrants in the midwest..but even that was an isolated case.

Throughout the history of this country, we have always had an immigrant non-English speaking population. Non-English speaking immigrants are as American as apple pie. But their kids always learned English. And despite services, businesses, and advertising being aimed at foreign language speakers, that doesnt seem to have changed.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:03 AM

365 posts, read 756,047 times

LET THEM BLAB all they want by the look of numbers. by the year 2050 more then 81% of north and south america would be latin american descent so lets teach our children of today
be the foreign diplomats and merchants of tommorow.
latin america awaits for your talents.

no wonder 50% of all the enrollment in universities in america are teaching spanish. they see the future unlike the sore unmotivated lazy natives we tend to argue day and night.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:38 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbide1981 View Post

LET THEM BLAB all they want by the look of numbers. by the year 2050 more then 81% of north and south america would be latin american descent so lets teach our children of today
be the foreign diplomats and merchants of tommorow.
latin america awaits for your talents.

no wonder 50% of all the enrollment in universities in america are teaching spanish. they see the future unlike the sore unmotivated lazy natives we tend to argue day and night.
Sore unmotivated lazy natives? Are you sure you are not discussing Latin America? Not a single Hispanic nation with the notable exception of Spain is anywhere near First World.

If anything: barring Mexico getting its act together----------and soon, we may very well wind up owning at least the northern tier of its states which would be the death knell of Spanish usage, etc.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 AM

236 posts, read 387,107 times
Absolutely agree with the content of the topic! When you immigrate to other country you have to obey it's laws, respect it's existing traditions and integrate into it's society. That should be clear to anyone who decides to change his/her country of living!

Old 04-09-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
Absolutely agree with the content of the topic! When you immigrate to other country you have to obey it's laws, respect it's existing traditions and integrate into it's society. That should be clear to anyone who decides to change his/her country of living!
You would THINK so, wouldn't you? But what happens when you immigrate into a country that's in the midst of an infatuation with some vague idea of 'multiculturalism'? What if that country can't agree that its own population even HAS a culture, (or that it DID have a culture, but that culture was nothing much beyond "drinking beer, sitting around, and watching TV"), and that it welcomes YOU, because it admires the way YOU cling to YOUR culture?

What if your host nation tells you, in essence, "No need to assimilate HERE, ol' buddy....in fact, we rather prefer that you DON'T, since what we're shooting for here is a VARIETY of cultures, the more, the merrier; and YOU, by showing up here, are providing some of the variety that we ourselves so sorely lack. So DON'T feel any pressure to assimilate, OR to learn English (which is a VERY difficult language, anyway)...but, instead, please allow US assimilate to YOU. You tell us what services you require, and we'll gladly provide them, in YOUR language...(which is, after all, a perfectly FINE language, and FAR more interesting than English) ....By the way, you didn't happen to bring any RECIPES, did you?"

If you HAD immigrated to a new country, and THAT'S what they told you, why on earth would you feel any need to 'fit in'? If your new HOSTS didn't care, why would you? In fact, you'd PROBABLY cling all the MORE to your OLD culture, figuring that your NEW country, by their own admission, didn't have a culture at ALL...that its culture required only that you "be yourself". In such a case, why make the effort?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Negresco View Post
Yes, unless one’s intentions are NOT to assimilate; rather, to form a separate society within these ‘United’ States of America.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, unless one’s intentions are NOT to assimilate; rather, to form a separate society within these ‘United’ States of America.
I could have said that....but it would have taken me six paragraphs, numerous sets of capitals, and many quotation marks to do so. Thanks for sparing me the effort...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration