Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:17 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I think he missed a part of what I said, the "stepping up the enforcement of an Immigration policy that makes sense." I agree with you that Amnesty by itself it's not the right way to go, and increase of border/overstay enforcement must be in place, but also there needs to be a change in immigration policy, because what the U.S. has right now it's obviously not working.
We finally agree on something. Yes, the current immigration policy is not working. But not because the policy is flawed; rather, because it is not being enforced.

Our immigration policy is just fine...when not ignored and abandoned.

Our only hope of discouraging future illegal immigration from south of our border is to refuse amnesty to the current 20 million+ illegals and start another "Operation Wet**ck on a much grander scale. We CAN deport them all (or at least most of them), and WE SHOULD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 02:53 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
We finally agree on something. Yes, the current immigration policy is not working. But not because the policy is flawed; rather, because it is not being enforced.

Our immigration policy is just fine...when not ignored and abandoned.

Our only hope of discouraging future illegal immigration from south of our border is to refuse amnesty to the current 20 million+ illegals and start another "Operation Wet**ck on a much grander scale. We CAN deport them all (or at least most of them), and WE SHOULD.
Under current immigration policy, it's easier to immigrate to country as low resource person who does not have any specific skills, who cannot hold on to a job to save his life, who just happens to be the family of a current US citizen; than a 21 year old, that just graduate in the top 10% of their class at his university who is not a faily member of a U.S. citizen. I think there is something wrong with this picture. Would you not agree?

Old 06-20-2009, 06:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
So if you drive over the speed limit or ran a stop light/stop sign and get into a car accident you absolutely do not have any affect in other people's lives. Do you think more people die at the hands of illegal aliens or in traffic accidents?

If a kid who uses a fake ID gets caught drunk, do you think he just ruins his live? What about the lives of his parents? What about the rest o his family? What when they get caught drunk and driving?

And you were the one to say that breaking a law is breaking a law. And compare illegal aliens with the most dangerous criminals. ID theft for gaining club entrance is as different from ID theft for work, as ID theft for work is different from ID theft for financial fraud.
Bottom line: fake ID for an illegal alien is a Felony off the bat.

As for you being a guy.............I honestly thought you were a woman--------my bad.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:12 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
Where Texas is headed.

A changing state
Texas is changing. It is growing older and browner, with the elderly and Hispanic populations growing at an unprecedented rate. And as the populations increase, so will the challenges.
If current trends continue, Texas' work force will be less educated and less skilled. State services, already burdened, may be strained to a point never experienced before. The numbers provided by Murdock support the dire warnings:
Hispanics may represent 53 percent of the population by 2030, compared to 30.3 percent for Anglos and 9.2 percent for blacks.
More than half of Hispanics 25 and older had failed to finish high school in 2000; fewer than 20 percent had completed some college, and only about 10 percent had a college degree.
Hispanics could occupy 38 percent to 52 percent of the Texas work force by 2030.
By 2030, 16 percent to 20 percent of the population will be 65 or older, an increase of about 10 percent over 2000. Most will be Anglos. Of Texans older than 65 in 2000, 72.6 percent were Anglo, 16.7 percent Hispanic.
The aging population — coupled with a segment that is less educated and, thus, earning less money — will strain social services, including those for the elderly.
"An educated work force raises income levels, which generates businesses activity and increases the market for goods and services," Murdock said. "It also increases investments for new businesses, which in turn increases tax revenues. Higher education equals higher incomes."
Sen. Pete Gallego, D-Alpine, said education is perhaps the most important issue facing the state.
"This is really a wake-up call," he said. "The conclusion is that by the year 2025, if we keep doing what we're doing now, Texas will have the economy of a Third Word country. I have a son who will be 21 in 2025, and that's just not the kind of Texas I want to turn over to him."

As Texas rapidly changes, demographer sees reason for optimism (http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/MYSA012807_1H_Murdock_e325ee_html.html - broken link)

Old 06-21-2009, 01:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Ya, but that turns it into a race issue, which adds to the issue that no one can deny, but by-passes the real issue of the illegal people here today and the anchor children born on American soil.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Illegal aliens cost Texas last year in 2008

$573 Million in healthcare
$3.8 Billion in education
$4.5 Billion total last year, not including the cost of incarceration and deportation.
$52 Billion in Federal income tax, from Texas illegals, alone.

There are...
35,000 police secure a 60 mile circumference in NYC
28,500 Us Troops patrol 151 miles of border between North & South Korea
But there are less than 17,000 border patrol to cover 6000 miles of our southern USA border.

Lets all make sense of this... I'm coming up blank???

Old 06-22-2009, 09:53 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Under current immigration policy, it's easier to immigrate to country as low resource person who does not have any specific skills, who cannot hold on to a job to save his life, who just happens to be the family of a current US citizen; than a 21 year old, that just graduate in the top 10% of their class at his university who is not a faily member of a U.S. citizen. I think there is something wrong with this picture. Would you not agree?
Immigration reform would be great, but it won't stop the illegal problem. Even if it is reformed, and it makes it easier for the lower classes of other countries to immigrate, there still will only be a certain amount allowed to immigrate. The ones who don't make the list will continue to immigrate illegally, and they will still be attractive to greedy scumbag employers who want cheap labor and want be able to threaten their employees into working hard and not complaining "or else". That, and reform will (or should) make it fair to ALL countries, not just the ones SOB, so there's no way the amount allowed to immigrate would be equal to the amount who want to come. We will have the same problems, the same sob stories from pro-illegals, the same push for amnesty over and over. It will solve nothing.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:07 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Originally posted by Kellem
Quote:
ArizonaBear, you are correct I did not let my visa expire, I renewed it and then got sponsored. But I am male.
Did not know you were a legal immigrant living in the US. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from originally? Also, since you are a legal immigrant, I am curious to know if you encourage illegals to seek legal residency here in the US. Seeing as how you came here legally, I would think you could appreciate the way our country works and might want to see things set to rights. I believe you have eluded to having illegal friends here in the US. Are you attempting to get them to take the proper course to citizenship?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Immigration reform would be great, but it won't stop the illegal problem. Even if it is reformed, and it makes it easier for the lower classes of other countries to immigrate, there still will only be a certain amount allowed to immigrate. The ones who don't make the list will continue to immigrate illegally, and they will still be attractive to greedy scumbag employers who want cheap labor and want be able to threaten their employees into working hard and not complaining "or else". That, and reform will (or should) make it fair to ALL countries, not just the ones SOB, so there's no way the amount allowed to immigrate would be equal to the amount who want to come. We will have the same problems, the same sob stories from pro-illegals, the same push for amnesty over and over. It will solve nothing.
Absolutely! Furthermore, who says we must grant access to this country to anyone who desires to live here? We have a right to make that determination just as any other country. Some people act as though the entire world has a God-given right to live in the USA. They most certainly don’t. If they don’t like their country of origin, they need to look at countries other than the U.S., because we are bursting at the seams with the downtrodden and rejects from third-world countries. We simply can’t take anymore, nor should we try.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
So if you drive over the speed limit or ran a stop light/stop sign and get into a car accident you absolutely do not have any affect in other people's lives. Do you think more people die at the hands of illegal aliens or in traffic accidents?

If a kid who uses a fake ID gets caught drunk, do you think he just ruins his live? What about the lives of his parents? What about the rest o his family? What when they get caught drunk and driving?

And you were the one to say that breaking a law is breaking a law. And compare illegal aliens with the most dangerous criminals. ID theft for gaining club entrance is as different from ID theft for work, as ID theft for work is different from ID theft for financial fraud.
Kellem, you only mentioned the ‘act’ of driving over the speed limit, and the ‘act’ of not coming to a complete stop, and the ‘act’ of using a fake ID to enter a club. You did not mention driving over the speed limit, and consequently causing a fatal accident. You did not mention failure to come to a complete stop, and subsequently hitting a car causing serious or fatal injuries. Nor did you mention using a fake ID, getting drunk in the club, and then killing a family en route home. Those are totally different issues.

Likewise, every foreigner who enters this country illegally does not rape, murder, or drive drunk; but enough do to wreak havoc. It has been estimated that over 1 million sex crimes have been committed by illegal aliens. It has also been estimated that more citizens have died at the hands of illegal aliens than have been killed in the Iraq War. This invasion is by no means victimless; and your attempts to marginalize crimes committed by illegals, is unconscionable.

BTW, why do you now claim to have never been an illegal alien, when you clearly stated you had overstayed your visa and lived here illegally? I’m sorry, but there is only one way to interpret your following post.

Quote:
JDubsMom,

just to clarify a few things, I did not come to this country illegally, I became an Illegal after overstaying my visa, I wouldn't think that this will change your opinion of my initial situation, but for some other people reading might. The reason that I was able to change my status was due to some skills not so easy to find that a company saw on me when I was looking for an sponsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration