U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

"The Obama administration's border czar says the key to achieving comprehensive immigration reform rests with a secure border."

Smart border czar!

As I said before, we need to secure our border first! No more illegal immigration. All coming should come legally

...and those here...hopefully will get legalized.




AZ border residents, DHS officials hold dialogue - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,143 times
Reputation: 267
Both border security and workplace law enforcement should be equal top priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 01:51 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Both border security and workplace law enforcement should be equal top priorities.
I completely agree with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 06:43 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
You want the ones here 10 minutes ago to be legalized but not the ones sneaking over in 10 minutes? Unless you are or know one of the "10 minutes ago Illegals" that makes about 10 cents worth of sense.

All Illegals are elligible to be deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You want the ones here 10 minutes ago to be legalized but not the ones sneaking over in 10 minutes? Unless you are or know one of the "10 minutes ago Illegals" that makes about 10 cents worth of sense.

All Illegals are elligible to be deported.
Trust me:

The PR damage by the pro illegal side has been ghastly------------remember those stupid illegal 'immigrants' rights marches of May 2006? That opened up many eyes and the repercussions are still being felt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 08:07 AM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
"The Obama administration's border czar says the key to achieving comprehensive immigration reform rests with a secure border."

Smart border czar!

As I said before, we need to secure our border first! No more illegal immigration. All coming should come legally

...and those here...hopefully will get legalized.




AZ border residents, DHS officials hold dialogue - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -
Define 'secure border'. You and I both know that they are not going to do anything that will actually secure the border. They will put some half-baked measure into effect, things that do not offend NCLR, the Mexican government, etc.; declare the border 'secured' and proceed with their amnesty plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Define 'secure border'. You and I both know that they are not going to do anything that will actually secure the border. They will put some half-baked measure into effect, things that do not offend NCLR, the Mexican government, etc.; declare the border 'secured' and proceed with their amnesty plans.
I agree. This situation isn't something we've 'cooked up' this week...it's something that's been allowed to build up over two decades or so. We've HAD amnesties before; they didn't please ANYONE, apparently.

More than your suggestion we "define 'secure border' ", I'd go so far as to ask "how does one define 'reform', anyway "....reform WHAT?; and to WHOSE satisfaction? Does it look to YOU like amnesty 'worked'? Did our big 1986 amnesty (3 million 'souls') please the beneficiaries? Did it please NCLR? Did it please the Mexican government? I haven't heard ANYONE speak much about it.....it seems to have generated far more anger, frustration, and entitlement than any gratitude; it seems almost as if this big amnesty in the past is being now used AGAINST us...("if you could do it THEN, you can do it AGAIN"). But mostly, it just seems to be forgotten by most people.

By the time you institute "reforms" that meet the demands of the Mexican government, the Catholic Church (MY church), the ACLU, MALDEF, and most of the State Government of California..PLUS the demands of the illegals themselves, PLUS their relatives, PLUS their employers, what would be left is NO REFORM at all.

It's wishful thinking; it's 'pie-in-the-sky', and it's utter nonsense to think you can "reform" decades of lawbreaking by calling in the lawbreakers as 'consultants'. Illegal immigrants didn't conduct public opinion polls, nor did they "consult" anyone here, nor did they worry about disrupting the lives of American workers, before they decided to come; Not at all...they just CAME. So now, we're supposed to make sure it's "OK" with illegals before we're free to do something about correcting the situation? Incredible! What do YOU think their response is going to be?

If illegal immigrants are suddenly LEGAL, they'll lose their 'vulnerable' status; lose THAT, and they lose their appeal to their employers, (those folks who LIKE their workforce 'lean. hungry, and not TOO comfortable; makes them much more 'compliant'); if they lose THAT quality (their vulnerabity; their 'exploitability'), then their employers will soon look for help elsewhere, or simply close up shop and move offshore. Does that sound to ANYONE like a "reform"? Reform of "what"; according to "who"?

This is getting to be a VERY weary argument. The tired old cliche, "enough is enough" comes to mind. I'm particularly reminded of many Mexican immigrants I know....even a few who came here illegally, decades ago; or even people whose parents came illegally. Even THOSE folks admit, in private conversation, serious concern about today's 'out of control' situation, so different in 'mood' and in scale
from what was happening a few decades ago....and these folks know that today's situation of illegal immigration threatens to destroy the very society that THEY, or their parents, sought out years ago. Does this make them 'hypocrites'? No....things change, and what once MIGHT have been acceptable, today often no longer is....ad that's true of MOST things in life, illegal immigration being only one example.

Last edited by macmeal; 06-19-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,143 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree. This situation isn't something we've 'cooked up' this week...it's something that's been allowed to build up over two decades or so. We've HAD amnesties before; they didn't please ANYONE, apparently.

More than your suggestion we "define 'secure border' ", I'd go so far as to ask "how does one define 'reform', anyway "....reform WHAT?; and to WHOSE satisfaction? Does it look to YOU like amnesty 'worked'? Did our big 1986 amnesty (3 million 'souls') please the beneficiaries? Did it please NCLR? Did it please the Mexican government? I haven't heard ANYONE speak much about it.....it seems to have generated far more anger, frustration, and entitlement than any gratitude; it seems almost as if this big amnesty in the past is being now used AGAINST us...("if you could do it THEN, you can do it AGAIN"). But mostly, it just seems to be forgotten by most people.

By the time you institute "reforms" that meet the demands of the Mexican government, the Catholic Church (MY church), the ACLU, MALDEF, and most of the State Government of California..PLUS the demands of the illegals themselves, PLUS their relatives, PLUS their employers, what would be left is NO REFORM at all.

It's wishful thinking; it's 'pie-in-the-sky', and it's utter nonsense to think you can "reform" decades of lawbreaking by calling in the lawbreakers as 'consultants'. Illegal immigrants didn't conduct public opinion polls, nor did they "consult" anyone here, nor did they worry about disrupting the lives of American workers, before they decided to come; Not at all...they just CAME. So now, we're supposed to make sure it's "OK" with illegals before we're free to do something about correcting the situation? Incredible! What do YOU think their response is going to be?

If illegal immigrants are suddenly LEGAL, they'll lose their 'vulnerable' status; lose THAT, and they lose their appeal to their employers, (those folks who LIKE their workforce 'lean. hungry, and not TOO comfortable; makes them much more 'compliant'); if they lose THAT quality (their vulnerabity; their 'exploitability'), then their employers will soon look for help elsewhere, or simply close up shop and move offshore. Does that sound to ANYONE like a "reform"? Reform of "what"; according to "who"?

This is getting to be a VERY weary argument. The tired old cliche, "enough is enough" comes to mind. I'm particularly reminded of many Mexican immigrants I know....even a few who came here illegally, decades ago; or even people whose parents came illegally. Even THOSE folks admit, in private conversation, serious concern about today's 'out of control' situation, so different in 'mood' and in scale
from what was happening a few decades ago....and these folks know that today's situation of illegal immigration threatens to destroy the very society that THEY, or their parents, sought out years ago. Does this make them 'hypocrites'? No....things change, and what once MIGHT have been acceptable, today often no longer is....ad that's true of MOST things in life, illegal immigration being only one example.
Agreed, especially with what I've boldened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree. This situation isn't something we've 'cooked up' this week...it's something that's been allowed to build up over two decades or so. We've HAD amnesties before; they didn't please ANYONE, apparently.

More than your suggestion we "define 'secure border' ", I'd go so far as to ask "how does one define 'reform', anyway "....reform WHAT?; and to WHOSE satisfaction? Does it look to YOU like amnesty 'worked'? Did our big 1986 amnesty (3 million 'souls') please the beneficiaries? Did it please NCLR? Did it please the Mexican government? I haven't heard ANYONE speak much about it.....it seems to have generated far more anger, frustration, and entitlement than any gratitude; it seems almost as if this big amnesty in the past is being now used AGAINST us...("if you could do it THEN, you can do it AGAIN"). But mostly, it just seems to be forgotten by most people.

By the time you institute "reforms" that meet the demands of the Mexican government, the Catholic Church (MY church), the ACLU, MALDEF, and most of the State Government of California..PLUS the demands of the illegals themselves, PLUS their relatives, PLUS their employers, what would be left is NO REFORM at all.

It's wishful thinking; it's 'pie-in-the-sky', and it's utter nonsense to think you can "reform" decades of lawbreaking by calling in the lawbreakers as 'consultants'. Illegal immigrants didn't conduct public opinion polls, nor did they "consult" anyone here, nor did they worry about disrupting the lives of American workers, before they decided to come; Not at all...they just CAME. So now, we're supposed to make sure it's "OK" with illegals before we're free to do something about correcting the situation? Incredible! What do YOU think their response is going to be?

If illegal immigrants are suddenly LEGAL, they'll lose their 'vulnerable' status; lose THAT, and they lose their appeal to their employers, (those folks who LIKE their workforce 'lean. hungry, and not TOO comfortable; makes them much more 'compliant'); if they lose THAT quality (their vulnerabity; their 'exploitability'), then their employers will soon look for help elsewhere, or simply close up shop and move offshore. Does that sound to ANYONE like a "reform"? Reform of "what"; according to "who"?

This is getting to be a VERY weary argument. The tired old cliche, "enough is enough" comes to mind. I'm particularly reminded of many Mexican immigrants I know....even a few who came here illegally, decades ago; or even people whose parents came illegally. Even THOSE folks admit, in private conversation, serious concern about today's 'out of control' situation, so different in 'mood' and in scale
from what was happening a few decades ago....and these folks know that today's situation of illegal immigration threatens to destroy the very society that THEY, or their parents, sought out years ago. Does this make them 'hypocrites'? No....things change, and what once MIGHT have been acceptable, today often no longer is....ad that's true of MOST things in life, illegal immigration being only one example.
I simply donít understand why this is so difficult to comprehend. Indeed, it is getting tiresome. We donít need to compromise. We donít need to try to ďunderstandĒ their plight. We donít need to legalize illegal aliens. We need our borders secured to prevent all from entering illegally; and we need our laws enforced. We must not allow our government to dupe us again by legalizing 20+ million illegal aliens, and their extended families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I simply donít understand why this is so difficult to comprehend. Indeed, it is getting tiresome. We donít need to compromise. We donít need to try to ďunderstandĒ their plight. We donít need to legalize illegal aliens. We need our borders secured to prevent all from entering illegally; and we need our laws enforced. We must not allow our government to dupe us again by legalizing 20+ million illegal aliens, and their extended families.
Correct. The minute that you introduce a reward for criminal behavior you will only encourage more of the same. Remember the last amnesty? Now we have 20 million + illegals as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top