Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

As long as we continue to be the safety valve for Mexico, Mexicans will never learn how to stand on their own two feet. Furthermore, whatever debt you may feel we owe, has been repaid tenfold through illegal immigration. We owe Mexico and its citizens NADA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why don't you advocate penalizing them for violating our laws?
Because I do not agree with the punishment. If the punishment was to have to pay a $10000 fine over the next 10 years, while being legalized i would advocate for it. Sending them back does not address the reason of why them came here to start with.

As i was growing up, when i got a bad grade in school, i did not just get punished, sent to my room, deprived of TV or sports. My parents sit down with me and talked to me about why I had gotten such a grade. After we talked they will more than likely know why i got a bad grade. If I needed to study more they will schedule more time for me to work on that course. If I had a hard time understanding a topic , sometimes they will sit with me to help me out or hire someone to help me out.

I do not believe in punishment that does not adress the root issue. it's like a lot of the people in jails here, who got caught for minor violations and after going to jail without a support/education program will just end up as hardened criminals. And their reincidency is rather large. I really like that religious group who decided that getting some people in jail through a 4 year college degree program would be beneficial, and they started giving classes in jail. The reincidency of the graduates was extremely low. Even to the point that the jail started exporting those graduates to other jails, because they realized that the graduates helped reduce the violence level on the areas they were in.

Quote:
Instead you seek to offer a reward. The path to citizenship.
I seek to offer an oportunity. It's not a guaranteed reward, they do not get instantaneous citizenship. When you go apply for your citizenship, after 5 years of having been a permanent resident, you have to show that you are not a charge on the system, that you pay your taxes and that you have kept out of trouble. I am applying for my citizenship on a few months, if i would have a DUI or commit any other crime in the next few months, I would be penalized for it and would not be eligible to apply for my citizenship at this point.

Quote:
They have demonstrated that not only are they unworthy of such a reward but they seem to feel that we owe it to them.
We in reality owe them absolutely nothing other than deportation.
Again, I do not think that deportation adresses the problem of why they came here. And I don't think it's a sustainable solution.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
You are assuming these people are breaking the law bc of lack of information. They are breaking the law knowingly because everyone wants something for nothing. Same with criminals. I am not sure you can reason your way out of that.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:42 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Because I do not agree with the punishment. If the punishment was to have to pay a $10000 fine over the next 10 years, while being legalized i would advocate for it. Sending them back does not address the reason of why them came here to start with.

As i was growing up, when i got a bad grade in school, i did not just get punished, sent to my room, deprived of TV or sports. My parents sit down with me and talked to me about why I had gotten such a grade. After we talked they will more than likely know why i got a bad grade. If I needed to study more they will schedule more time for me to work on that course. If I had a hard time understanding a topic , sometimes they will sit with me to help me out or hire someone to help me out.

I do not believe in punishment that does not adress the root issue. it's like a lot of the people in jails here, who got caught for minor violations and after going to jail without a support/education program will just end up as hardened criminals. And their reincidency is rather large. I really like that religious group who decided that getting some people in jail through a 4 year college degree program would be beneficial, and they started giving classes in jail. The reincidency of the graduates was extremely low. Even to the point that the jail started exporting those graduates to other jails, because they realized that the graduates helped reduce the violence level on the areas they were in.

I seek to offer an oportunity. It's not a guaranteed reward, they do not get instantaneous citizenship. When you go apply for your citizenship, after 5 years of having been a permanent resident, you have to show that you are not a charge on the system, that you pay your taxes and that you have kept out of trouble. I am applying for my citizenship on a few months, if i would have a DUI or commit any other crime in the next few months, I would be penalized for it and would not be eligible to apply for my citizenship at this point.

Again, I do not think that deportation adresses the problem of why they came here. And I don't think it's a sustainable solution.
Once again you offer all carrot and no stick. No penalty for breaking our laws. No penalty for abusing our nation.
Their problems are only ours because they force them upon us.
Jail those who would hire illegals. Jail those who would facilitate illegals.
Confiscate all the illegals assets. Deport them.
Remember that we owe them nothing. Nothing what so ever.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are assuming these people are breaking the law bc of lack of information. They are breaking the law knowningly because everyone wants something for nothing. Same with criminals. I am not sure you can reason your way out of that.
I am assuming that they are immigrating here illegally, because they are not eligible to immigrate legally. I am asumming that people who have their family here would rather immigrate here legally than illegally.

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who is here illegally that knew that he was able to immigrate here legally yet decided not to.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
I am assuming that they are immigrating here illegally, because they are not eligible to immigrate legally. I am asumming that people who have their family here would rather immigrate here legally than illegally.

I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who is here illegally that knew that he was able to immigrate here legally yet decided not to.
And why should we be compelled to grant a VISA to any and all who would like one? I feel that we would be better served if we raised the bar of who is considered an acceptable applicant.
College educated.
They have a trade that we need.
They are already financially secure and pose no burden.
Indepth criminal and medical background checks.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
And why should we be compelled to grant a VISA to any and all who would like one? I feel that we would be better served if we raised the bar of who is considered an acceptable applicant.
College educated.
They have a trade that we need.
They are already financially secure and pose no burden.
Indepth criminal and medical background checks.
This is not the case right now. What you suggest is not raising the bar, it's lowering the bar. A college graduate cannot easily immigrate here.

And if they are financially secure and pose no burden at all in their countries...why would they want to immigrate? Do you mean something like that the individual has the potential not to be a financial burden? Degrees + experience? I'm all for it.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:

Probably could not get here legally bc they had little to offer. They are more of a drain than an asset. And they know that.
People with real skills and good education from asia have a hard time coming here legally, but they do it, they jump through the hoops...why should we allow the mexicans to stay...because of proximity?

Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Once again you offer all carrot and no stick. No penalty for breaking our laws. No penalty for abusing our nation.
Their problems are only ours because they force them upon us.
Jail those who would hire illegals. Jail those who would facilitate illegals.
Confiscate all the illegals assets. Deport them.
Remember that we owe them nothing. Nothing what so ever.
Yeah, the $10000 fine is quite a carrot. Change it so they have to pay back taxes if they have not, make it a fine, make it some kind of community work program so they can make us for it.

In your idea, you offer all stick and no carrot. I would really not like to be a children of yours.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Probably could not get here legally bc they had little to offer. They are more of a drain than an asset. And they know that.
People with real skills and good education from asia have a hard time coming here legally, but they do it, they jump through the hoops...why should we allow the mexicans to stay...because of proximity?
Exactly, the problem of people crossing the border is due to proximity. The reason that there are no more Chinese, or other countries is due to proximity. There is an ocean in the middle keeping the rom just crossing over.

Who are you more like to help out your neighbour or someone half across the globe?

As I said before, i have no stock on letting Mexicans in, I am not Mexican, very few of my friends (if any) are Mexican illegal aliens, most of the people I know who are IA are from other countries. They have college degrees in their respective countries or from the U.S. and generally I disagree with immigration laws in the basis, that it should have been easier for people like the IAs I know to immigrate legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration