Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Get Involved In A Romantic Relationship With An Illegal Immigrant ?
Yes I Would 16 24.62%
No I Would Not Because I Do Not Date Criminals Who Break The Law 49 75.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

If I were dating a woman and found out that she was an illegal I would feel repulsed, lied to and cheated. The only viable conclusion would be to dump her and call ICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM

438 posts, read 946,976 times
Turning in dates to ICE? Man, that's cold.
Of course, there are some serious issues that could arise (deportation, lack of job access) affecting stability of the relationship. For most people it would not be worth the heartache and the trouble.

The worst inconvenience I've experienced spending time with undocumented folks was this traffic accident we got into. Had to cover somebody's ass, as they had no ID and feared deportation....that was not a fun thing at all.

Personally I'm crazy about travel and adventure, and would have no qualms about going abroad to be with mi amor were it necessary. But I could get a teaching job and wouldn't have to worry about the unemployment problem.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:19 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,707 times
<<its 3 years, if you dont even know that, i dont trust what ever stat you wish to pass off as valid.>>

Actually, it's 2 years. I know this from experience with a daughter-in-law.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Turning in dates to ICE? Man, that's cold.
Of course, there are some serious issues that could arise (deportation, lack of job access) affecting stability of the relationship. For most people it would not be worth the heartache and the trouble.

The worst inconvenience I've experienced spending time with undocumented folks was this traffic accident we got into. Had to cover somebody's ass, as they had no ID and feared deportation....that was not a fun thing at all.

Personally I'm crazy about travel and adventure, and would have no qualms about going abroad to be with mi amor were it necessary. But I could get a teaching job and wouldn't have to worry about the unemployment problem.
And you enabling said criminal; had you been caught-----------would have landed your butt in jail.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And you enabling said criminal; had you been caught-----------would have landed your butt in jail.
Yeah, it was not cool. I would not do that again. However we were freaking out and couldn't think what else to do at the time. Police were on the way and it was either use my ID and say I was the driver or he'd have to just bail and run off or something. It was a hasty decision....
The other driver didn't care who owned up to it, as long as we admitted fault in the accident (which was true). But we'd have been screwed if everything hadn't gone the way it did.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Yeah, it was not cool. I would not do that again. However we were freaking out and couldn't think what else to do at the time. Police were on the way and it was either use my ID and say I was the driver or he'd have to just bail and run off or something. It was a hasty decision....
The other driver didn't care who owned up to it, as long as we admitted fault in the accident (which was true). But we'd have been screwed if everything hadn't gone the way it did.
Illegals are not worth losing everything you worked for.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Illegals are not worth losing everything you worked for.
I wouldn't risk things for just anybody. At any rate, I didn't think of it as a huge risk when I did it.

Well, we asked the other driver if he cared who took the blame. He didn't at all. So I wasn't worried about jail or something so serious. I don't think the authorities are terribly strict in my area; people with no licenses or insurance who are pulled over are not reported or jailed. Honestly I'm not sure what would have happened here though, considering there was a traffic accident involved.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I think someone who is in a serious relationship with an illegal and encouraging the illegal to remain illegal has his/her own agenda. Very much like an employer of illegals - they prefer the illegal status of their lover as a way to maintain power in the relationship.

Otherwise, if someone cared about someone else, they would not encourage that person to break the law, and if they loved that person, they would want them to go home and do things the right way so that they wouldn't have to be illegal. They would obtain the fiance visa for their loved one.

There would be definite advantages in being able to call "la migra" on the illegal when the relationship is over.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think someone who is in a serious relationship with an illegal and encouraging the illegal to remain illegal has his/her own agenda. Very much like an employer of illegals - they prefer the illegal status of their lover as a way to maintain power in the relationship.

Otherwise, if someone cared about someone else, they would not encourage that person to break the law, and if they loved that person, they would want them to go home and do things the right way so that they wouldn't have to be illegal. They would obtain the fiance visa for their loved one.

There would be definite advantages in being able to call "la migra" on the illegal when the relationship is over.
Not necessarily. There are all kinds of circumstances that would prompt people to put off legalization. Immigration is not a cheap process, and the immigrant (unless this has been changed lately) cannot legally work for a year after marriage to the citizen. So their partner had better be saving up money to support them both through that time period.
Also if the immigrant came in undocumented, lots of paperwork and lawyering has to be done to avoid the 10 yr ban and get them a fiance visa. Also an expensive endeavor.
In the meantime, nobody wants to tell their lover to go home until the money situation gets settled....being in different countries is a difficult thing to bear.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:17 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
I'm sure if all the blonds from Scandinavia were to sneak into the United States there would be a change of attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration