Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Get Involved In A Romantic Relationship With An Illegal Immigrant ?
Yes I Would 16 24.62%
No I Would Not Because I Do Not Date Criminals Who Break The Law 49 75.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
I've never checked credentials when dating. It's not usually the first thing on my mind.
The question was: Would you get involved in a serious relationship with an illegal?
This isn't about a first or second date. This is about a serious long term relationship.
I don't ask for a green card on a first date and I doubt that anyone who is not insane does.
However, after dating for some period of time an honest person would or at least should tell you if they are here illegally. If they don't then nothing more need be said about their integrety or character. Does anyone really want to be involved with a liar and a cheat?
If they do stand up and admit that they are an illegal. Do you really want the problems associated with such a person? I wouldn't.
Then we ask ourselves upon hearing the news that we were deceived by said illegal: Do I call ICE? Do I simply dump this liar and cheat? Do I stay in the relationship and contribute to the problem?
I fancy myself an honest man and the answer is easy for me. I make a call to ICE and dump the liar and cheat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I've dealt with this before with a woman from S Africa. She was also an overstay and I quit seeing her after finding out her situation. She was sent packing not long after.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You seem really interested in my answer.
Citizenship doesn't sum up the qualities of human being to me as much as it seems to do for you. Did that person barely cross? Or was the person brought as a child, and only knows this country?

It's one thing to reconsider the relationship, due to whatever complications that person's status may cause, it's another to turn around and go out of my way to snitch and make the person's life hell by sicking the authorities on her. That's a pathetic course of action.
And if she were to tell me later she was here illegally, why would I feel personally "lied to" or "cheated"? That's her deal.

And that goes for "dating". Marriage is a whole different matter, and there would be more awkwardness involved with that. But if it's just going out on dates, I wouldn't feel that need to "give her up". It's not like I found out I'm dating a serial killer or bank robber.
You cannot fault him for following the law.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
In this country any situation is seen, how often do you see a bunch of
american girls or men falling in love with imprisoned criminals, I think that profiling goes both ways I know a lot of people that stereotype certain
groups of caucasians because of the way they care for themselves, their smell, way of talking, poor education etc.
In not sure if this was an indirect but if it was, I'd like say that I'm a culturally well rounded person. At least, I try to be one.

As far as your comment, you are right that there are stereotypes going both ways. However, the thread was concerning dating an illegal immigrant and that is what I addressed. I made it perfectly clear that I knew them on a personal level and therefore when I saw them with their date, I was able to make that connection.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
You seem really interested in my answer.
Citizenship doesn't sum up the qualities of human being to me as much as it seems to do for you. Did that person barely cross? Or was the person brought as a child, and only knows this country?

It's one thing to reconsider the relationship, due to whatever complications that person's status may cause, it's another to turn around and go out of my way to snitch and make the person's life hell by sicking the authorities on her. That's a pathetic course of action.
And if she were to tell me later she was here illegally, why would I feel personally "lied to" or "cheated"? That's her deal.

And that goes for "dating". Marriage is a whole different matter, and there would be more awkwardness involved with that. But if it's just going out on dates, I wouldn't feel that need to "give her up". It's not like I found out I'm dating a serial killer or bank robber.
So reporting a criminal to the authorities is = to snitching? I guess from a criminals point of view you would be 100% correct.
make their life a living hell? No they do that by living a lie. Sicking the authorities on her is exactly correct. It is their job to seek out and deport the cheats.
By not coming foward and telling you her status at the begining of the relationship should tell you what her character is. By this I mean when she can see that its starting to get serious. Sort of like : Hey before we have sex I think that you should know that I have herpes, or that I am married.
But listen I am not judging you because you may fall in love with an illegal. Worse things can happen for sure. What I was questioning in your prvious answer was your post you never check credentials on a first date. I agree only an insane person would. The question was would we form a serious relationship with an illegal. This was asked of the anti-illegal crowd.
Me I would not knowingly enter into such a relationship. If the illegal in question waited until we were about to co-habitate? That tells me the caliber of their character.
To each their own, but this man does not hang with criminals.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:24 PM

The criminal has put themselves in a bad situation. Reporting a criminal is the proper thing to do. The reason we have such a problem now is that too many criminal business owners look the other way instead of dropping a dime on the Ilegals.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:45 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,435 times
I fell in love with one a few years back...til I got to know her family...

Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
carjacking my civic is about as serious as it gets.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
????

Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

You fell in love with an illegal carjacker and you attracted them with the highest stolen car in America?
No wonder I don't meet any illegals, I am driving a VW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration